Patient Comments: Carpal or Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome - Symptoms and Signs

What are your carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms and signs?

Comment from: ejubara, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 01

This information has greatly helped me to determine the exact medical situation with the feelings of numbness and tingling sensation around my right hand, now I can go to see a doctor with peace of mind. Thank you for this rewarding exercise.

Comment from: Ole, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I was quite active cross-country skiing and this all came to a halt as my feet and hands ceased to function properly. I was diagnosed with neuropathy and carpal tunnel syndrome. I underwent numerous tests by a neurologist at which time surgery was performed on my wrists with some success. It's been 4 months since my last surgery and the area between my right thumb and first finger are still numb (poor grip). The left hand is still quite numb with pain although all my fingers and thumb are able to form a fist. I'm unable to grasp items without the fear of dropping them. My "pinky" does not react with the other fingers. (ex. sliding hand into a glove).

Comment from: sleighlee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I've had carpel tunnel for ten years in both hands. My right hand was the worst, but now my left hand is about 75% worthless, my thumb will not bend if it does it is most painful I've felt. The doctor suggested surgery, but I have not been offered any other alternatives, I've already do all the exercises, etc. The pain now radiates from my wrist up to my shoulder and neck.

Comment from: cooks, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I am a housekeeper in a care home and was in laundry before. I have just returned to my housekeeping position and have been experiencing numbness and tingling in my left hand. I also have woken up in the middle of the night were my hand felt on fire. I thought I maybe had a pinch nerve and had been to the chiropractor, but my hand and fingers haven't gotten any better. I'm not too sure what to do next.

Comment from: Ernie, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 17

Let's say that my hand is closed, as in a fist, and when I want to open my hand, three fingers will oblige but not the middle finger. It just will not straighten out by itself. I have to grab the finger with my left hand and force it open. I get a click in my knuckle when it finally pops open. There is no pain involved but it feels very weird.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I notice that every time I give my husband a massage my thumb starts to hurt. I had carpal tunnel when I was pregnant with my daughter. She is 3 years old now and I am 26. I also notice that every time

Comment from: Kerry, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I have just found out recently that I have severe carpal tunnel and need surgery in both wrists. I have suffered for about four years and the condition has been getting worse, so I was referred and had an EMG test, which showed these results. I have always been clumsy but have really been losing my grip and have been waking up most nights with pains and tingling in both hands and had to hang them out of the bed to bring back the circulation and bring back the feeling to both hands. It is also now difficult to drive and type.

Comment from: laurski, 45-54 Female Published: September 27

The last 2-3 months my wrist thumb and basically my whole hand has been really hurting. I have been a waitress for 35 years and I think its from pouring coffee, I know that sounds weird, but I think it's true.

Comment from: marg, Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I am having tingling and numbness in my left hand.

Carpal or Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with carpal tunnel syndrome or tarsal tunnel syndrome.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your carpal tunnel syndrome or tarsal tunnel syndrome?
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome And Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome - Causes Question: Did you develop carpal tunnel while pregnant, from computer use, or something else? Please discuss the cause.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome And Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams that led to a diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome. Did you think it was something else?