Patient Comments: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Symptoms and Signs

What are your carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms and signs?

Comment from: George Elder, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I wrote a comment regarding normal pressure hydrocephalus (NPH) symptoms that was published on May 31 of this year. I just stumbled on this site this morning, and read that comment. There is absolutely no recollection of writing it. The words and tone sound like my prose, but there is no recall. I request that the board monitors affix this post to that one because it might better describe what some of the symptoms are like. I am not sure that I have NPH, but I am dismayed by what is happening to me. It is frightening. There is also increasing emotional liability. But I go the Mass General hospital in September, so perhaps something can be done. As it stands, I am slip-sliding away.

Comment from: Jack W, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

When I received my x-ray report 5 years ago that I had severely degenerated hips and damaged knees I decided that I didn't want to go down the painkillers or replacement hip operation (yet). My hip pain has been brought under control with my own lifestyle and fitness program. This consists of mainly using an electronic massager; applying Manuka honey cream with bee venom; a balanced healthy diet including Zija daily; regular exercise and stretching in the gym and pool; correct gait (the 'FFF - feet face forward rule). The result has been no time off work, walking my dogs daily, up to 6 hours gardening at a time and showing others what to do to help themselves. My program is now written up with lots of photos. Oh yes, finally after 40 years I have now returned to playing badminton instead of tennis as there is less lateral movement involved.

Comment from: gradstudent_onlin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I am a graduate student and have had many, many papers and postings due. I began experiencing numbness and tingling at night and initially attributed this to the way I was sleeping. The progression has been fairly quick as I am now having numbness, tingling, and pain that wake me at night. I also do a lot of driving and symptoms occur while driving that make me have to use my non-affected hand to drive with. I have made a doctor's appointment but no diagnosis yet. From all of the searches and information read, it appears to be early carpal tunnel syndrome. Finding EBP (evidence-based practice) on this topic is conflicting in some ways. I will know more after I see the doctor.

Comment from: ejubara, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 01

This information has greatly helped me to determine the exact medical situation with the feelings of numbness and tingling sensation around my right hand, now I can go to see a doctor with peace of mind. Thank you for this rewarding exercise.

Comment from: Ole, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I was quite active cross-country skiing and this all came to a halt as my feet and hands ceased to function properly. I was diagnosed with neuropathy and carpal tunnel syndrome. I underwent numerous tests by a neurologist at which time surgery was performed on my wrists with some success. It's been 4 months since my last surgery and the area between my right thumb and first finger are still numb (poor grip). The left hand is still quite numb with pain although all my fingers and thumb are able to form a fist. I'm unable to grasp items without the fear of dropping them. My "pinky" does not react with the other fingers. (ex. sliding hand into a glove).

Comment from: joerun, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I was tripped by two dogs when I was at 90 percent top speed, I fell and broke 4th and 5th fingers of my right hand. I went to emergency and they put a splint cast on.

Comment from: sleighlee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I've had carpel tunnel for ten years in both hands. My right hand was the worst, but now my left hand is about 75% worthless, my thumb will not bend if it does it is most painful I've felt. The doctor suggested surgery, but I have not been offered any other alternatives, I've already do all the exercises, etc. The pain now radiates from my wrist up to my shoulder and neck.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with carpal tunnel syndrome.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your carpal tunnel syndrome?
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Causes Question: Did you develop carpal tunnel while pregnant, from computer use, or something else? Please discuss the cause.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams that led to a diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome. Did you think it was something else?