Patient Comments: Carpal or Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome - Experience

Please describe your experience with carpal tunnel syndrome or tarsal tunnel syndrome.

Comment from: BellaBueaty, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I have recently started research on carpal tunnel syndrome and I'm am about 99.9 percent sure this is my problem. I started working in a produce department in my place of work and I cut about 150 to 250lbs of fruit every day, among other things I must cut constantly to keep my department full. I have been there for about 8 months and have had severe numbness and pain for about 4 months and for past month and half or so the numbness and pain have also turned into those symptoms plus a severe burning feeling. It is very painful, feels like my skin is literally melting from the inside out like acid in my blood but only in my hands and fingers. It is very bad at night, and upon waking is when it seems to be the worst pain, and I can barely hold objects or do things in the morning such as normal simple things such as washing hair or washing myself in shower, sometimes takes me hour and half for hands to start to feel tolerable for most of the day. It does occur a lot while I am literally in the middle of cutting my fruit for my job and it is severe pain, unbearable at times and feel like I will get fired because I have not been able to do my job as quickly or do as much because of this numbness and burning, let alone barely being able to hold a knife I use to cut with.

Comment from: JBnID, 65-74 (Patient) Published: January 14

I suffered carpal tunnel syndrome for 7 years while building a house and working without relief. Braces on both hands at night allowed some sleep but became increasingly not enough. CTS was adversely affecting my life. January 3rd I went in for bi-lateral CTS release by endoscopic surgery. It's like a miracle! My hands are back! The day after surgery was less painful than the day before! Now, after a week, I'm pain free, sleep all night and have a new outlook on life.

Comment from: NIKETTA, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 26

I think I developed carpal tunnel syndrome from overuse of my hands. I do a lot of manual work in and around my home such as cutting hedges, raking the leaves, gardening, etc., so I believe that"s how I get the disease. For about a year and a half I was on medication, but in February of 2014 I did a carpal tunnel release and am now going through the healing process.

Comment from: redhead, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

Four months ago I had a sudden onset of numbness and pain in both hands. The pain was almost unbearable. I purchased the braces which did help and also at night would extend my arm downward and shake the hand when pain persisted and this helped, too. After a nerve test that showed I had severe carpal tunnel in left hand and moderate in the right, I had surgery on the left hand. This has helped the pain but I still have the numbness in my thumb and three fingers not the little finger. Now I have been told that I possibly have rheumatoid arthritis. This week I had blood work and x-rays taken. Symptoms are worse when I try to get out of bed and the stiffness may last for hours even though now I am taking 20 mg of prednisone. When first taking this drug my pain and stiffness were gone in less than 2 days, but now it is returning.

Comment from: Paul F., 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 18

I started my new job six months ago as a script writer, so I spend a lot of time at my new desk. I started getting numbness in my left hand and fingers and then pins and needles. It's almost a constant thing now; it's really painful to sleep, as most positions hurt. I have recently been diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome. I had the nerve conduction tests (I nearly passed out) that diagnosed the problem. The doctor is suggesting surgery. I just want my hand back to normal.

Comment from: jscorvet, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I have shooting pains from my elbow down to the wrists.

Comment from: jennb, 35-44 Female Published: October 06

I suffered with carpal tunnel which got progressively worse for three years. The pain at night was excruciating and kept me awake EVERY night for hours. I finally went to my doctor and had the surgery which took about two hours. The very night of my surgery, I slept ALL night without any pain. It was miraculous. If you've been diagnosed with carpal tunnel, I cannot express how wonderful and immediate the relief is after surgery. I went to back to work the very next day. It took several months to get the strength back in my hands but it was worth it. My only regret is that I didn't have the surgery sooner. All that pain and suffering could have been avoided. 100% consider the surgery if carpal tunnel is affecting your life in any way.

Carpal or Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome - Symptoms and Signs Question: What are your carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms and signs?
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your carpal tunnel syndrome or tarsal tunnel syndrome?
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome And Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome - Causes Question: Did you develop carpal tunnel while pregnant, from computer use, or something else? Please discuss the cause.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome And Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams that led to a diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome. Did you think it was something else?