Patient Comments: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Experience

Please describe your experience with carpal tunnel syndrome.

Comment from: tani, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I'm 30 years old. I was first diagnosed with CTS 4years ago. I had 1 surgery last year on my left hand. I had 1 on my right this year. I'm currently not satisfied with either surgery. So I am going to be getting another nerve study done again. I have been experiencing a popping in both thumbs, no strength in either hand, pain goes to elbows and shoulders, and it's hard to daily tasks around the house. The doc said it's caused from not getting it treated right away. It was almost 3yrs after the first diagnoses. So the surgeries would have helped if it was done sooner. I'm tired of taking medication for the pain and inflammation and to sleep. I'm afraid that those are going to start causing other issues.

Comment from: CD, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I am a 57 year old male and have been using a keyboard for 20 years continuously. I have recently been diagnosed with CTS in both hands; although I have suffered loss of feeling and "tingling" in some of my finger ends for over 2 years, I recently suffered terrible pain and burning sensations in both hands during the night. This came about after I had a specifically heavy weekend in the garden. Wearing wrist splints have helped with sleeping, but I continue to have "tingling" in my middle fingers in particular and I am unable to make a fist.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

A week ago, last Saturday; I used a 409 spray bottle repeatedly to spray my carpet. I woke up the next morning which was Sunday and could not hold anything. I have no pain in the hand, but I cannot grip a pen/pencil. I cannot turn a key or put my car in gear. I have taken Aleve, but there has been no relief. I purchased a wrist band which supports my thumb and started wearing it today. I need to know if since it has been over a week if I need to seek medical advice.

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I have just recently been diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome. My left pinky finger is continuously numb from this. I have been typing for school and I do not have any clue how to get rid of it other than immobilization.

Published: July 28

I don't have numbness or tingling in my wrists, but I have noticed (over a few months) that both wrists have a burning sensation if/when I make even the simplest movement. The pain/burning is on the outer part of my wrists and it doesn't always hurt, but it does a lot. I noticed it immediately if I turn my wrists inward.

Published: July 21

About a year ago I had surgery for carpal tunnel, now I'm experiencing bad pain and it seems that I have another little bump that is growing in the same wrist where I had my surgery. Could it be the same thing?

Published: June 23

I am a 42-year-old patient who suffers from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in which I had to be operated on a total off seven times. In my latest episode, my wrist bone, thumb and forefinger were tingling and always had numbness. During the night is when I feel the most pain. On many occasions, things fall out of my hand without me even knowing. Sometimes I feel like my entire hand is on fire and the pain gets UNBEARABLE.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Symptoms and Signs Question: What are your carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms and signs?
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your carpal tunnel syndrome?
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Causes Question: Did you develop carpal tunnel while pregnant, from computer use, or something else? Please discuss the cause.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams that led to a diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome. Did you think it was something else?