Patient Comments: Carpal or Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome - Experience

Please describe your experience with carpal tunnel syndrome or tarsal tunnel syndrome.

Published: June 18

The pain first started in my right wrist. The pain is in the wrist bone and not in my thumb or forefinger. I do not feel any tingling or numbness. It then started in my left wrist resulting in both wrists. I have soaked my wrists in Epson salt in warm water as well as put wrist bands for support and compression. Nothing has worked. I am nine months pregnant and I am afraid that I will not be able to fully care for my infant. My hands are not fully functioning and it is very painful to do normal daily activities such as washing dishes or even putting on my clothes.

Published: June 12

My toes have a burning sensation and my foot and ankle has been swelling for a few weeks. The burning is on the top of my toes.

Published: June 11

It's like a throbbing, burning, tingling pain causing numbness. I get extreme pain in my hands and wrists that can last for hours at a time, making my fingers, numb and hands hurt. Sometimes I cry from the pain swelling in my joints. Holding my hand downward makes it hurt worse.

Published: June 09

My fingers tingle and it seems to run through the outer sides of my hands.

Comment from: tani, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I'm 30 years old. I was first diagnosed with CTS 4years ago. I had 1 surgery last year on my left hand. I had 1 on my right this year. I'm currently not satisfied with either surgery. So I am going to be getting another nerve study done again. I have been experiencing a popping in both thumbs, no strength in either hand, pain goes to elbows and shoulders, and it's hard to daily tasks around the house. The doc said it's caused from not getting it treated right away. It was almost 3yrs after the first diagnoses. So the surgeries would have helped if it was done sooner. I'm tired of taking medication for the pain and inflammation and to sleep. I'm afraid that those are going to start causing other issues.

Comment from: CD, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I am a 57 year old male and have been using a keyboard for 20 years continuously. I have recently been diagnosed with CTS in both hands; although I have suffered loss of feeling and "tingling" in some of my finger ends for over 2 years, I recently suffered terrible pain and burning sensations in both hands during the night. This came about after I had a specifically heavy weekend in the garden. Wearing wrist splints have helped with sleeping, but I continue to have "tingling" in my middle fingers in particular and I am unable to make a fist.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

A week ago, last Saturday; I used a 409 spray bottle repeatedly to spray my carpet. I woke up the next morning which was Sunday and could not hold anything. I have no pain in the hand, but I cannot grip a pen/pencil. I cannot turn a key or put my car in gear. I have taken Aleve, but there has been no relief. I purchased a wrist band which supports my thumb and started wearing it today. I need to know if since it has been over a week if I need to seek medical advice.

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I have just recently been diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome. My left pinky finger is continuously numb from this. I have been typing for school and I do not have any clue how to get rid of it other than immobilization.

Published: July 28

I don't have numbness or tingling in my wrists, but I have noticed (over a few months) that both wrists have a burning sensation if/when I make even the simplest movement. The pain/burning is on the outer part of my wrists and it doesn't always hurt, but it does a lot. I noticed it immediately if I turn my wrists inward.

Carpal or Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome - Symptoms and Signs Question: What are your carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms and signs?
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your carpal tunnel syndrome or tarsal tunnel syndrome?
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome And Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome - Causes Question: Did you develop carpal tunnel while pregnant, from computer use, or something else? Please discuss the cause.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome And Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams that led to a diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome. Did you think it was something else?