Patient Comments: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Experience

Please describe your experience with carpal tunnel syndrome.

Published: July 23

I am currently awaiting a surgery date for my wrist which has been diagnosed with carpal tunnel. The pain is so bad at this point that I cannot write more then one or two words without having to grab my hand and lower it. It is almost a nauseating pain in the wrist and numbness/tingling/burning feeling in all fingers but my pinky. I cannot sleep without a brace on and cannot raise my hand for more then about 45 seconds without pain. I am constantly dropping things that I am sure I have a hold of. The first Cortizone shot I had was like a miracle for about 6 months, the second shot only helped for about 2 weeks.

Published: July 02

I have pain originating in my right thumb and radiating up my wrist and arm. Also, pain radiating up dorsum of hand from my index finger. Some pain occurs in the heel of my hand. Wrist splints leave me in more pain in the morning. X-ray of my hand and wrist show arthritis and a small cyst at the base of my thumb. I am being worked up for carpal tunnel syndrome; but I am not sure that is the problem. Acupuncture did not seem to help. I have not tried chiropractics. I am thinking of a PT referral. In researching Carpal Tunnel it seems nothing including surgery has much of a cure rate.

Published: July 01

I was recently diagnosed with CTS and have been having physical therapy sessions about twice a week. They did nothing to alleviate my symptoms, which are currently limited to numbness of my thumb, index and middle finger. I am also having trouble with small objects, i.e. buttons. After reading up on the Internet I am considering stopping physical therapy and trying acupuncture.

Published: June 25

My thumb and first two fingers are numb. Sometimes it feels like pins and needles are sticking into my fingers. Sometimes it feels like an electric shock is being delivered into my fingers. It feels like my fingers are not my own. It feels like rubber bands are tied around my fingers and sometimes it feels like my hand it swollen but it is not. It is very frustrating. I will try to pick up something or button a blouse and I cannot feel to do it right.

Published: June 18

The pain first started in my right wrist. The pain is in the wrist bone and not in my thumb or forefinger. I do not feel any tingling or numbness. It then started in my left wrist resulting in both wrists. I have soaked my wrists in Epson salt in warm water as well as put wrist bands for support and compression. Nothing has worked. I am nine months pregnant and I am afraid that I will not be able to fully care for my infant. My hands are not fully functioning and it is very painful to do normal daily activities such as washing dishes or even putting on my clothes.

Published: June 12

My toes have a burning sensation and my foot and ankle has been swelling for a few weeks. The burning is on the top of my toes.

Published: June 11

It's like a throbbing, burning, tingling pain causing numbness. I get extreme pain in my hands and wrists that can last for hours at a time, making my fingers, numb and hands hurt. Sometimes I cry from the pain swelling in my joints. Holding my hand downward makes it hurt worse.

Published: June 09

My fingers tingle and it seems to run through the outer sides of my hands.

Comment from: jennb, 35-44 Female Published: October 06

I suffered with carpal tunnel which got progressively worse for three years. The pain at night was excruciating and kept me awake EVERY night for hours. I finally went to my doctor and had the surgery which took about two hours. The very night of my surgery, I slept ALL night without any pain. It was miraculous. If you've been diagnosed with carpal tunnel, I cannot express how wonderful and immediate the relief is after surgery. I went to back to work the very next day. It took several months to get the strength back in my hands but it was worth it. My only regret is that I didn't have the surgery sooner. All that pain and suffering could have been avoided. 100% consider the surgery if carpal tunnel is affecting your life in any way.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Symptoms and Signs Question: What are your carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms and signs?
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your carpal tunnel syndrome?
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Causes Question: Did you develop carpal tunnel while pregnant, from computer use, or something else? Please discuss the cause.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams that led to a diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome. Did you think it was something else?