Patient Comments: Carpal or Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome - Experience

Please describe your experience with carpal tunnel syndrome or tarsal tunnel syndrome.

Comment from: Richard, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 21

I am currently waiting for my carpal tunnel syndrome surgery. I have terrible pain in my right hand at night after five hours of sleep. I had two operations performed on my leading left hand a few years ago. Although it's not perfect, it's 50% better. Currently, my right hand is constantly numb in the fingers. The pain is so bad sometimes that the doctors gave me pills to take. I'm 47, and I exercise regularly.

Comment from: Rango, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I have tarsal tunnel syndrome. I had surgery for it in January of 2008. On the feet and ankle, it's a long, long recovery. You have a hard time with stairs and uneven surfaces. I have a tendency to walk on the outside of my feet. I experience lots of aches and pain.

Comment from: Valtadonna, 45-54 Female Published: August 05

I have numbness of the hands, arms and shoulders. It makes it hard to sleep in almost any position. I can't lift anything that is heavier than 3 pounds with my hands without dropping it. I also experience swelling of the hands and wrists also.

Published: July 30

I experienced numbness and tingling of the thumb, 1st, 2nd and 3rd fingers. Then I started experiencing severe pain at night in what I thought was the elbow. I actually thought I had slept on my arm wrong. But that was not the case. Eventually, I would experience the numbness, tingling, pain and progressive weakness of the thumb, especially while trying to use eating utensils. I ended up having surgery on both hands.

Published: July 23

I am currently awaiting a surgery date for my wrist which has been diagnosed with carpal tunnel. The pain is so bad at this point that I cannot write more then one or two words without having to grab my hand and lower it. It is almost a nauseating pain in the wrist and numbness/tingling/burning feeling in all fingers but my pinky. I cannot sleep without a brace on and cannot raise my hand for more then about 45 seconds without pain. I am constantly dropping things that I am sure I have a hold of. The first Cortizone shot I had was like a miracle for about 6 months, the second shot only helped for about 2 weeks.

Published: July 02

I have pain originating in my right thumb and radiating up my wrist and arm. Also, pain radiating up dorsum of hand from my index finger. Some pain occurs in the heel of my hand. Wrist splints leave me in more pain in the morning. X-ray of my hand and wrist show arthritis and a small cyst at the base of my thumb. I am being worked up for carpal tunnel syndrome; but I am not sure that is the problem. Acupuncture did not seem to help. I have not tried chiropractics. I am thinking of a PT referral. In researching Carpal Tunnel it seems nothing including surgery has much of a cure rate.

Published: July 01

I was recently diagnosed with CTS and have been having physical therapy sessions about twice a week. They did nothing to alleviate my symptoms, which are currently limited to numbness of my thumb, index and middle finger. I am also having trouble with small objects, i.e. buttons. After reading up on the Internet I am considering stopping physical therapy and trying acupuncture.

Published: June 25

My thumb and first two fingers are numb. Sometimes it feels like pins and needles are sticking into my fingers. Sometimes it feels like an electric shock is being delivered into my fingers. It feels like my fingers are not my own. It feels like rubber bands are tied around my fingers and sometimes it feels like my hand it swollen but it is not. It is very frustrating. I will try to pick up something or button a blouse and I cannot feel to do it right.

Carpal or Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome - Symptoms and Signs Question: What are your carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms and signs?
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your carpal tunnel syndrome or tarsal tunnel syndrome?
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome And Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome - Causes Question: Did you develop carpal tunnel while pregnant, from computer use, or something else? Please discuss the cause.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome And Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams that led to a diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome. Did you think it was something else?