Patient Comments: Carpal or Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome - Experience

Please describe your experience with carpal tunnel syndrome or tarsal tunnel syndrome.

Comment from: jscorvet, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I have shooting pains from my elbow down to the wrists.

Comment from: cassie, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I am 15 years old. One day I noticed my hand was numb and I wasn't even doing anything. Well, I just left it alone thinking, “Oh my hand is just asleep.” It kept happening. I remember a girl in my class telling me some of her symptoms, so being curious I looked up some symptoms on the internet. It sounded like I might have it. So, I went to the doctor to get a shot before school. She told me to get a brace. So I've had the brace over two months and its getting to the point where in the middle of the night the pain goes from my hand all the way to my arm and causes me not to sleep. I have to go back to the doctor for a couple things. She said we are going to set up an orthopedic appointment. Now I am wearing my brace almost 24/7, and taking two ibuprofen a day, morning and night. By the way I have hypothyroidism and my dad has had the surgery in both hands so I most likely got it passed down to me. I think I might be getting the surgery.

Comment from: Corrine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I have carpel tunnel syndrome (CTS). At night mostly my thumb, first and middle fingers go completely numb, and most of my ring finger. The pain in my fingers is the worst I have experienced. In the day, I have pain in my wrist and sometimes the palm of my hand and quite a lot of tingling. It started when I spent a week decorating my house using a paint roller.

Comment from: 13-18 Female Published: September 25

I'm 17 years old and I have tarsal tunnel in both ankles and carpel tunnel in my left wrist. I started developing tarsal tunnel when I was just 13 and it took four doctors to finally decide that was for sure what it was. The doctor suggested trying physical therapy, so I tried that and, after approving my insurance and allowing me to go through multiple treatments (two a week for three months), we started receiving bills in the mail saying my insurance was not covering any of it. My sessions immediately ended and symptoms got worse. Now, four years later, I have no relief and no hope of it and things just seem to be getting worse because I am slowly also developing it in my wrists. I used to have weekly doctors visits to check my progress and see if anything was getting worse, but now I have no insurance, no relief, no way of getting hope.

Comment from: Richard, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 21

I am currently waiting for my carpal tunnel syndrome surgery. I have terrible pain in my right hand at night after five hours of sleep. I had two operations performed on my leading left hand a few years ago. Although it's not perfect, it's 50% better. Currently, my right hand is constantly numb in the fingers. The pain is so bad sometimes that the doctors gave me pills to take. I'm 47, and I exercise regularly.

Comment from: Rango, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I have tarsal tunnel syndrome. I had surgery for it in January of 2008. On the feet and ankle, it's a long, long recovery. You have a hard time with stairs and uneven surfaces. I have a tendency to walk on the outside of my feet. I experience lots of aches and pain.

Comment from: Valtadonna, 45-54 Female Published: August 05

I have numbness of the hands, arms and shoulders. It makes it hard to sleep in almost any position. I can't lift anything that is heavier than 3 pounds with my hands without dropping it. I also experience swelling of the hands and wrists also.

Published: July 30

I experienced numbness and tingling of the thumb, 1st, 2nd and 3rd fingers. Then I started experiencing severe pain at night in what I thought was the elbow. I actually thought I had slept on my arm wrong. But that was not the case. Eventually, I would experience the numbness, tingling, pain and progressive weakness of the thumb, especially while trying to use eating utensils. I ended up having surgery on both hands.

Carpal or Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome - Symptoms and Signs Question: What are your carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms and signs?
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your carpal tunnel syndrome or tarsal tunnel syndrome?
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome And Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome - Causes Question: Did you develop carpal tunnel while pregnant, from computer use, or something else? Please discuss the cause.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome And Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams that led to a diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome. Did you think it was something else?