Patient Comments: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Experience

Please describe your experience with carpal tunnel syndrome.

Comment from: Ros, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I have had carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) for some years now. It is worse when my thyroid medication needs adjusting. A poor thyroid function can be a cause. Get checked for hypothyroidism before considering surgery, as it does not always work as many have found. My chiropractor can also give lots of relief.

Comment from: sgoss, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I am a 66 year old retired LVN (licensed vocational nurse) in the medical field. I am having severe pain in my hands from my wrist to my fingertips. The first and second joints of my fingers hurt and are swollen. I wake up if I try to close them when I am sleeping, or if I close them then I wake up when I open them.

Comment from: Stu, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

I recently realized that I sometimes sleep with my arm extended over the side of the bed with my hand bent down at the wrist for hours at a time. It could be the cause of my wrist and hand issues. I will try sleeping on the other side of the bed to see if that should alleviate the problem. Take notice of the position of your arm and wrist at night while you sleep.

Comment from: Heidi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I have numbness at the tip of my 4th finger extending down the medial side to the first joint. The carpal tunnel syndrome began after raking leaves. I have no history of diabetes.

Comment from: NIKETTA, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 26

I think I developed carpal tunnel syndrome from overuse of my hands. I do a lot of manual work in and around my home such as cutting hedges, raking the leaves, gardening, etc., so I believe that"s how I get the disease. For about a year and a half I was on medication, but in February of 2014 I did a carpal tunnel release and am now going through the healing process.

Comment from: redhead, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

Four months ago I had a sudden onset of numbness and pain in both hands. The pain was almost unbearable. I purchased the braces which did help and also at night would extend my arm downward and shake the hand when pain persisted and this helped, too. After a nerve test that showed I had severe carpal tunnel in left hand and moderate in the right, I had surgery on the left hand. This has helped the pain but I still have the numbness in my thumb and three fingers not the little finger. Now I have been told that I possibly have rheumatoid arthritis. This week I had blood work and x-rays taken. Symptoms are worse when I try to get out of bed and the stiffness may last for hours even though now I am taking 20 mg of prednisone. When first taking this drug my pain and stiffness were gone in less than 2 days, but now it is returning.

Comment from: Paul F., 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 18

I started my new job six months ago as a script writer, so I spend a lot of time at my new desk. I started getting numbness in my left hand and fingers and then pins and needles. It's almost a constant thing now; it's really painful to sleep, as most positions hurt. I have recently been diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome. I had the nerve conduction tests (I nearly passed out) that diagnosed the problem. The doctor is suggesting surgery. I just want my hand back to normal.

Comment from: earlbowden, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

My tarsal tunnel syndrome started about eight years ago. My feet started to feel as if they were burning. I thought it might just be my shoes, or socks, or just tired feet. But the burning didn't go away, it got worse over time. It was almost unbearable some days. Then I started getting the tingling and numbness. I finally went to the doctor, and he did some diabetes tests and then prescribed some medicine. It took a couple of tries, but we finally settled on Amitriptyline and Lyrica. They worked, somewhat. The side affects included drowsiness - I had zero energy almost all day long, and I would fall asleep soon after getting home from work, causing me to not be able to get to sleep later in the night when I usually went to bed. We adjusted the strengths and times for the medicine, which did help with the drowsiness, but then the strength of the medicine wasn't enough to give me any real relief from the pain. By now, I'm getting shooting pains all over my feet, too. I'm about going out of my head with the pains, the numbness, and the tingling. I think I may have found doctors who can help with surgery, but I found out they don't work with my insurance carrier. I'm that close, and now I can't pay for relief. Hopefully I can work something out with these doctors or with my insurance carrier. Maybe there's other doctor's in the Denver area that do the surgery, and can work with my insurance company.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Symptoms and Signs Question: What are your carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms and signs?
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your carpal tunnel syndrome?
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Causes Question: Did you develop carpal tunnel while pregnant, from computer use, or something else? Please discuss the cause.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams that led to a diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome. Did you think it was something else?