Patient Comments: Carpal or Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome - Experience

Please describe your experience with carpal tunnel syndrome or tarsal tunnel syndrome.

Comment from: earlbowden, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

My tarsal tunnel syndrome started about eight years ago. My feet started to feel as if they were burning. I thought it might just be my shoes, or socks, or just tired feet. But the burning didn't go away, it got worse over time. It was almost unbearable some days. Then I started getting the tingling and numbness. I finally went to the doctor, and he did some diabetes tests and then prescribed some medicine. It took a couple of tries, but we finally settled on Amitriptyline and Lyrica. They worked, somewhat. The side affects included drowsiness - I had zero energy almost all day long, and I would fall asleep soon after getting home from work, causing me to not be able to get to sleep later in the night when I usually went to bed. We adjusted the strengths and times for the medicine, which did help with the drowsiness, but then the strength of the medicine wasn't enough to give me any real relief from the pain. By now, I'm getting shooting pains all over my feet, too. I'm about going out of my head with the pains, the numbness, and the tingling. I think I may have found doctors who can help with surgery, but I found out they don't work with my insurance carrier. I'm that close, and now I can't pay for relief. Hopefully I can work something out with these doctors or with my insurance carrier. Maybe there's other doctor's in the Denver area that do the surgery, and can work with my insurance company.

Comment from: Christine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I am 46 and also have rheumatoid arthritis. I'm guessing that the carpal tunnel syndrome is related to that. The symptoms started in my right hand around two months ago and seem to be progressing quite rapidly and badly. I have a lot of numbness in my thumb and first three fingers, as well as pain and difficulty gripping. I'm thankful that I have a voice recognition software program on my laptop otherwise I would need to be able to type this. A cortisone shot in my hand did not help at all. I'm playing the waiting game right now and do not yet have an appointment to see a specialist about the carpal tunnel syndrome. Last fall, I had surgery on my ankle and the surgeon accidentally stuck one of the screws into the tibial nerve and that resulted in a tremendous amount of burning and numbness in my left foot, and my walking is still very limited. It may have a tarsal tunnel association, and I'm waiting to see a neurosurgeon about that. I'm feeling pretty gimpy right now - between my right hand and my left foot, I don't seem to get a lot accomplished. It's kind of a double whammy. I tried acupuncture for the nerve damage in my left foot and did not receive any pain relief from it. I may try acupuncture as I'm waiting for treatment for my hand and see if I have any more about what that. I tried wearing a wrist brace and it seemed to make the pain and numbness even worse. I am wearing a splint at nighttime to try and keep my hand from curling up.

Comment from: cassie, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I am 15 years old. One day I noticed my hand was numb and I wasn't even doing anything. Well, I just left it alone thinking, “Oh my hand is just asleep.” It kept happening. I remember a girl in my class telling me some of her symptoms, so being curious I looked up some symptoms on the internet. It sounded like I might have it. So, I went to the doctor to get a shot before school. She told me to get a brace. So I've had the brace over two months and its getting to the point where in the middle of the night the pain goes from my hand all the way to my arm and causes me not to sleep. I have to go back to the doctor for a couple things. She said we are going to set up an orthopedic appointment. Now I am wearing my brace almost 24/7, and taking two ibuprofen a day, morning and night. By the way I have hypothyroidism and my dad has had the surgery in both hands so I most likely got it passed down to me. I think I might be getting the surgery.

Comment from: Corrine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I have carpel tunnel syndrome (CTS). At night mostly my thumb, first and middle fingers go completely numb, and most of my ring finger. The pain in my fingers is the worst I have experienced. In the day, I have pain in my wrist and sometimes the palm of my hand and quite a lot of tingling. It started when I spent a week decorating my house using a paint roller.

Comment from: 13-18 Female Published: September 25

I'm 17 years old and I have tarsal tunnel in both ankles and carpel tunnel in my left wrist. I started developing tarsal tunnel when I was just 13 and it took four doctors to finally decide that was for sure what it was. The doctor suggested trying physical therapy, so I tried that and, after approving my insurance and allowing me to go through multiple treatments (two a week for three months), we started receiving bills in the mail saying my insurance was not covering any of it. My sessions immediately ended and symptoms got worse. Now, four years later, I have no relief and no hope of it and things just seem to be getting worse because I am slowly also developing it in my wrists. I used to have weekly doctors visits to check my progress and see if anything was getting worse, but now I have no insurance, no relief, no way of getting help...no hope.

Carpal or Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome - Symptoms and Signs Question: What are your carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms and signs?
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your carpal tunnel syndrome or tarsal tunnel syndrome?
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome And Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome - Causes Question: Did you develop carpal tunnel while pregnant, from computer use, or something else? Please discuss the cause.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome And Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome - Diagnosis Question: Describe the exams that led to a diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome. Did you think it was something else?