- Heart Disease Slideshow Pictures
- Medical Illustrations of the Heart Image Collection
- Take the Heart Disease Quiz!
- Patient Comments: Cardiomyopathy (Hypertrophic) - Symptoms
- Find a local Cardiologist in your town
- What is hypertrophic cardiomyopathy?
- What are the symptoms of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy?
- What causes hypertrophic cardiomyopathy?
- How is hypertrophic cardiomyopathy diagnosed?
- How is hypertrophic cardiomyopathy treated?
- What lifestyle changes are recommended to treat hypertrophic cardiomyopathy?
- What medications are used for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy?
- What surgical procedures are used to treat hypertrophic cardiomyopathy?
- How can I prevent endocarditis?
Quick GuideA Visual Guide to Heart Disease
How Can I Prevent Endocarditis?
People with obstructive HCM may be at increased risk for infective endocarditis, a potentially life-threatening condition. Ask your doctor if you need to take endocarditis precautions, which include:
- Tell all your doctors and dentist you have HCM. They should prescribe antibiotics to prevent an infection before performing any procedures on you that may cause bleeding (dental, respiratory, and gastrointestinal procedures).
- Call your doctor if you have symptoms of an infection.
- Take good care of your teeth and gums.
WebMD Medical Reference
Reviewed by Robert J Bryg, MD on September 15, 2009