Patient Comments: Cardiac Catheterization - Risks

What was your experience during cardiac catheterization?

Comment from: Spitfire, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: January 14

My husband had quadruple bypass two years ago, also had a pacemaker put in two days after. He was given 3 huge potassium pills before his heart stopped, and then they did several things to get his heart going again, along with someone on his chest doing CPR. Reason for my telling you this is that now his heart only works 30 percent of the time, and no one knows why, and they have scheduled him for another cardiac catheterization, to hopefully find out what may have happened. Needless to say, I am scared about the procedure since the same doctor is doing the catheterization that gave him the overdose of potassium pills.

Comment from: Daughter, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 05

Perforation of artery happened towards the end of my mother's cardiac catheterization procedure resulting in extreme blood loss. She had two 4 hour vascular surgeries and was intubated for 2 weeks. She got MRSA blood infection, resulting in kidney failure and death. My mom was 64 years old. Nothing is without great risk. I am a nurse.

Comment from: Missypru, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I experienced much bleeding at the point of injection during cardiac catheterization. Observing the surgeon and the nurses I could tell something unexpected had taken place. I began shaking terribly, my teeth were chattering so rapidly I thought they were going to crack. It has been over a week and I have a quarter or larger lump in the area of the injection point. I won't see the doctor until July 16th. I am having high anxiety over this scary situation. I've reported my issue to the surgeon's nurse who has done nothing!

Comment from: Daisy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I wonder if massive bruising is normal with a heart catheterization. I have a bruise from down the inside of my leg, through my groin area, to the right side of my hip.

Cardiac Catheterization - Cause Question: What caused you to get your cardiac catheterization?
Cardiac Catheterization - Recovery Question: What happened during your recovery after cardiac catheterization?