- Heartburn Slideshow: Foods to Eat, Foods to Avoid
- Digestive Disease Myths
- Take the GERD Quiz
- Find a local Gastroenterologist in your town
What type of diseases can be diagnosed with capsule endoscopy?
Capsule endoscopy continues to improve technically. It has revolutionized diagnosis by providing a sensitive (able to identify subtle abnormalities) and simple (non-invasive) means of examining the inside of the small intestine. Some common examples of small intestine diseases diagnosed by capsule endoscopy include:
- Angiodysplasias (collections of small blood vessels located just beneath the inner intestinal lining that can bleed intermittently and cause anemia)
- Small intestinal tumors such as lymphoma, carcinoid tumor, and small intestinal cancer
- Crohn's disease of the small intestine
Medically reviewed by John A. Daller, MD; American Board of Surgery with subspecialty certification in surgical critical care
"Wireless video capsule endoscopy"
Uptodate. Updated July 16, 2016