Patient Comments: Canker Sores - Topical Medications

What topical medications have been effective treatments for your canker sores?

Comment from: Rosesting1967, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 08

My daughter had a couple of canker sores and we used custard powder to heal it. In two days it was gone. I tried straight baking soda, which burned her too much, but she loved the custard powder. It worked to heal and soothe the pain.

Comment from: kofta, 45-54 Female Published: February 04

Eat one or two granny smith apples. Hold the pulp of the apple when it's in your mouth against the painful part of where the sore is (mine is always on the edges of the tongue). It almost instantly takes away the pain. Eat the apple when the pain just starts.

Comment from: Modiri, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 18

Taking Metrol pills & avoiding toothpaste with Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS).

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 26

I found that if you apply Alum directly to the canker sore inside your mouth before bedtime it will usually disappear overnight. Alum is a mineral used in cooking and pickling.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I treat ones I get on my gums with Listerine mouthwash.

Comment from: Jackie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I have always been plagued with this pesky mouth and canker sores, usually found under my tongue. I have also noticed that I will obtain a sore wherever I may have bitten my lip or jaw when chewing. Anyway, I have found that by swishing with the blue Crest mouthwash, the time hurting from these sores is diminished. Also, my father shared a concoction recipe that was given to him after having all of his teeth pulled out at the same time. This recipe calls for two parts of baking soda and one part of salt. The instructions were to simply brush and rinse your mouth with this daily. It truly works as it whitens your teeth and strengthens your gums. It works wonders for your mouth following a wisdom tooth abstraction as well.

Comment from: Betty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I have had canker sores since my childhood and now I am 45 year old. The only thing that helped me was taking iron tablets- my doctor gave me a prescription for 6 months since I had a mild anemia. I noticed all my canker sores disappeared and I didn't have new ones for months.

Comment from: Hafeez, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I get frequent aphthous ulcers (canker sores, most of the time it is on uvula, this leads to lung congestion. Doctors told me to live with it as there is no cure for this. I on my own take Omeparazol (omez) which is very helpful.

Canker Sores - Effective Treatments Question: Please describe what treatments have been effective for your canker sores.
Canker Sores - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your canker sores?
Canker Sores - Oral Medications Question: Which medications have you tried for pain or to treat your canker sores? What would you recommend?
Canker Sores - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with canker sores.