Patient Comments: Canker Sores - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective for your canker sores.

Comment from: Rebus, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I have been plagued with severe outbreaks of debilitating canker sores since childhood. The pain was like the worst toothache. They were less frequent in summertime but during the winter were almost continuous. I discovered a simple yet 100% effective preventive measure. Simply supplement with a minimum of 4000IU per day of vitamin D3. Alternately, 30 minutes of full body sun exposure per day around midday is also 100% effective (but don"t overdo it as sunburn will adversely affect the immune system).

Comment from: hillcrest59, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am 53. I have had canker sores my entire life. As a teen and young adult, I would get 2 to 10 sores at a time. I have been prescribed colchicine (since I was 30) that I take on a daily basis. I have a prescription of lidocaine as topical treatment when one erupts. I also take sublingual vitamin B12 when one erupts. I get swollen glands every time with a sore. I often feel as if I have an earache because of the pressure of the swollen glands. I typically get an outbreak once a year even with the daily colchicine. My sores typically appear right before, during or shortly after my men's trial cycle. The colchicine has been my miracle drug!

Comment from: Brat, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I've been taking coconut oil daily for my thyroid just to see if it would help my thyroid (I have Hashimoto). I've noticed when my thyroid goes haywires I often get a canker sore or two right before. Anyway this is the first time I've been taking it while having a canker sore and it healed in two days. Usually mine lasts for at least a week or more. When I read up on coconut oil it says it contains Lauric Acid which helps the immune system. I am certain it's what shortened the healing time. It's also done wonderful things for my skin by moisturizing form the inside out because Hashimoto makes my skin very dry and itchy to the point I get an eczema like rash that won't go away. It hasn't happened this time and my skin looks and feels so smooth and silky. As for my thyroid, I don't know if it's done anything. I am also on meds for it, so I can't tell if it's helping the meds or doing nothing.

Comment from: clpepper, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I dipped a cotton swab into my bottle of tea tree oil and successfully treated two canker sores in my mouth. I held the swab against the sore while pressing a finger on the cheek/outer side and repeated three times within two days. I had an increase in saliva, which you need to be careful not to swallow. Just spit it out as necessary.

Comment from: MarthaT, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I applied the baking soda treatment on my canker sore and it works. I applied it directly on the canker sore, it stung a little, but thank God, the irritation and pain are gone.

Comment from: Laura, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 10

I started my boyfriend on a daily dose of L-Lysine and it seems to help dramatically, along with taking an iron supplement every day.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

The only thing that got rid of my canker sores, was being pregnant. I never had a single one the entire 9 months, and now that I've had the baby they have come back with full force. I'm not able to put anything on them because they are all in the back of my throat.

Comment from: Pete, Male Published: October 24

My mom used to put glycerin on her finger tip then place it on the canker sore in my mouth, a few treatments later it was gone. Now I got my wife doing it as well. It is a important part of our medicine cabinet.

Canker Sores - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your canker sores?
Canker Sores - Topical Medications Question: What topical medications have been effective treatments for your canker sores?
Canker Sores - Oral Medications Question: Which medications have you tried for pain or to treat your canker sores? What would you recommend?
Canker Sores - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with canker sores.