Patient Comments: Canker Sores - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective for your canker sores.

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I have had canker sores my whole life. I get them to where the pain radiates to the ear nearest the canker sore with or without fever. I have tried all of the remedies discussed. I have found that they are brought on through 3 ways. One, an overly acidic environment through stress or diet (too many sour foods). Two, injury to my mouth from my mouth guard or getting dental work, or biting cheek or tongue. And three, gargling 2 days or more with Listerine coupled with chewing 2 to 3 pieces of strong mint gum too during the same two days. I stopped using toothpaste that had sodium laurate and only using Pronamel toothpaste and have been able to avoid getting them until I had a bad bout of stress. I put a drop of tea tree oil and gargled with it once and the pain lessened greatly both in the sore and in my ear. I hope it will be gone tomorrow.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I have gotten canker sores for as long as I can remember. They end up hurting so badly that I can barely eat. One trick my aunt told me was to put baking soda on it before bed. It is my go-to for canker sores and it always works; at the very least, to minimize the size of the sore and start the healing.

Comment from: Nibbles32, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I found super drug aloe vera hand gel, a tiny blob on the side of my mouth cracks after breakfast and last thing at night cures the canker sores quicker than anything else. This is scary because it makes you wonder about the power of the thing that takes hand gel with strength to kill 99 percent of germs started and what it is.

Comment from: NancyKJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

Orajel always works on my canker sores. Whenever I drink Kool-Aid, I get them. So, of course, the other thing that works is not drinking Kool-Aid.

Comment from: JackHammer, Male (Patient) Published: August 05

I'm 64 years old and have had canker sores on and off since I was 13 years old. I've used every OTC product there is and none has ever stopped or healed the sore; the gels and liquids usually numb the sores and provide a little relief. The best home remedy I've found is rinsing my mouth with 2 ounces of hydrogen peroxide which contains a mixture of 1 teaspoon of salt and one teaspoon of baking soda. If you can afford to go to a dermatologist that's the best option. Find a dermatologist who will treat your canker sore with phenol. Trust me, phenol gives me immediate relief. Though I pay a $40 co-pay it is well worth it to me.

Comment from: Myiawd, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

The eye doctor I worked for saved my life! I have had canker sores as long as I can remember, they are miserable! His brother is an oral surgeon and prescribed a steroid pack plus a medicine that is used for dermatitis. The generic name is fluocinonide topical solution 0.05%. You just apply to the sore 4 times a day and of course spit it out. I promise you instant relief in less than 24 hours! Now I only use the solution and I don't use the steroid pack. It is super amazing! Ask your primary care physician (PCP) or oral surgeon about it.

Comment from: Rebus, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I have been plagued with severe outbreaks of debilitating canker sores since childhood. The pain was like the worst toothache. They were less frequent in summertime but during the winter were almost continuous. I discovered a simple yet 100% effective preventive measure. Simply supplement with a minimum of 4000IU per day of vitamin D3. Alternately, 30 minutes of full body sun exposure per day around midday is also 100% effective (but don"t overdo it as sunburn will adversely affect the immune system).

Canker Sores - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your canker sores?
Canker Sores - Topical Medications Question: What topical medications have been effective treatments for your canker sores?
Canker Sores - Oral Medications Question: Which medications have you tried for pain or to treat your canker sores? What would you recommend?
Canker Sores - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with canker sores.