Patient Comments: Canker Sores - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective for your canker sores.

Comment from: NancyKJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

Orajel always works on my canker sores. Whenever I drink Kool-Aid, I get them. So, of course, the other thing that works is not drinking Kool-Aid.

Comment from: JackHammer, Male (Patient) Published: August 05

I'm 64 years old and have had canker sores on and off since I was 13 years old. I've used every OTC product there is and none has ever stopped or healed the sore; the gels and liquids usually numb the sores and provide a little relief. The best home remedy I've found is rinsing my mouth with 2 ounces of hydrogen peroxide which contains a mixture of 1 teaspoon of salt and one teaspoon of baking soda. If you can afford to go to a dermatologist that's the best option. Find a dermatologist who will treat your canker sore with phenol. Trust me, phenol gives me immediate relief. Though I pay a $40 co-pay it is well worth it to me.

Comment from: Myiawd, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

The eye doctor I worked for saved my life! I have had canker sores as long as I can remember, they are miserable! His brother is an oral surgeon and prescribed a steroid pack plus a medicine that is used for dermatitis. The generic name is fluocinonide topical solution 0.05%. You just apply to the sore 4 times a day and of course spit it out. I promise you instant relief in less than 24 hours! Now I only use the solution and I don't use the steroid pack. It is super amazing! Ask your primary care physician (PCP) or oral surgeon about it.

Comment from: Rebus, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I have been plagued with severe outbreaks of debilitating canker sores since childhood. The pain was like the worst toothache. They were less frequent in summertime but during the winter were almost continuous. I discovered a simple yet 100% effective preventive measure. Simply supplement with a minimum of 4000IU per day of vitamin D3. Alternately, 30 minutes of full body sun exposure per day around midday is also 100% effective (but don"t overdo it as sunburn will adversely affect the immune system).

Comment from: hillcrest59, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am 53. I have had canker sores my entire life. As a teen and young adult, I would get 2 to 10 sores at a time. I have been prescribed colchicine (since I was 30) that I take on a daily basis. I have a prescription of lidocaine as topical treatment when one erupts. I also take sublingual vitamin B12 when one erupts. I get swollen glands every time with a sore. I often feel as if I have an earache because of the pressure of the swollen glands. I typically get an outbreak once a year even with the daily colchicine. My sores typically appear right before, during or shortly after my men's trial cycle. The colchicine has been my miracle drug!

Comment from: Brat, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I've been taking coconut oil daily for my thyroid just to see if it would help my thyroid (I have Hashimoto). I've noticed when my thyroid goes haywires I often get a canker sore or two right before. Anyway this is the first time I've been taking it while having a canker sore and it healed in two days. Usually mine lasts for at least a week or more. When I read up on coconut oil it says it contains Lauric Acid which helps the immune system. I am certain it's what shortened the healing time. It's also done wonderful things for my skin by moisturizing form the inside out because Hashimoto makes my skin very dry and itchy to the point I get an eczema like rash that won't go away. It hasn't happened this time and my skin looks and feels so smooth and silky. As for my thyroid, I don't know if it's done anything. I am also on meds for it, so I can't tell if it's helping the meds or doing nothing.

Comment from: clpepper, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I dipped a cotton swab into my bottle of tea tree oil and successfully treated two canker sores in my mouth. I held the swab against the sore while pressing a finger on the cheek/outer side and repeated three times within two days. I had an increase in saliva, which you need to be careful not to swallow. Just spit it out as necessary.

Canker Sores - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your canker sores?
Canker Sores - Topical Medications Question: What topical medications have been effective treatments for your canker sores?
Canker Sores - Oral Medications Question: Which medications have you tried for pain or to treat your canker sores? What would you recommend?
Canker Sores - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with canker sores.