Patient Comments: Canker Sores - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective for your canker sores.

Comment from: archalupa, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 13

I suffered from canker sores all of my life. I would get them at least once every month or so. Then a friend told me he read that putting metal like pens, paper clips, etc. in your mouth was one of the suspected causes. I quit putting metal not intended for my mouth in my mouth and now the only time I get cankers is when I bite my tongue or cheek.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

Right now I have 9 canker sores in my mouth and I am suffering terribly. The biggest one is on my soft palate next to my uvula and is about one cm. square. I can barely swallow and I have radiating pain to my right ear. I have used every topical anesthetic on the market and over the counter mouthwash specific to helping resolve canker sores. The only thing that has ever worked for me is triamcinolone paste. If I am able to get it on the ulcer as soon as I know I have one, it heals in about 5 days. Otherwise, I have sores in my mouth that have taken three weeks to heal. My 7 year-old daughter and my three year-old son have them also.

Comment from: maria12340, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

The best treatment for canker sore is to put a chip of alum on top of the sore, this is quite painful, but you only have to suffer for an hour rather than a week without an alum. The alum will make the white coating something like "cook" and pain goes away only in a few hours.

Comment from: A66eyroad, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

Toothpaste is the worst offender for me, but when I don't have a clean mouth is when more sores seem to crop up. Through trial and error I have found that Tom's of Maine Gingermint is the best on the market for me. Nothing harsh, no laurel sulfate, no peppermint.

Comment from: sarlyn, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I have had canker sores for years and the best solution I have found is to put some vodka on a Q-tip and dab the ulcer with it. The alcohol helps it heal quicker and any surface rubbed with the alcohol is numbed for awhile, making eating and talking and toothbrushing much less painful.

Comment from: Colorado, 55-64 Female Published: September 10

I have frequently recurring cancer sores on my lips, usually in the same places. Mental stress (worry) is the primary cause of a recurrence. Physical stress (an infected tooth) also caused cancer sores to happen one incidence after the other for months until my failed root canal was redone. The best treatment, once I feel the burning of an oncoming cancer sore is frequent application of Abreva. The sore will not continue to develop. The best defense is staying healthy. Drinking water is the best medicine I have discovered.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

Debacterol is the most sure and steadfast relief of my dime size ulcers. It is only offered by a dentist or by written prescription from your doctor and then is special ordered by a pharmacy. It is the best on the market. You have to go through hoops to get it, but, it's worth it when you're suffering weeks at a time.

Comment from: Pain free, 45-54 Female Published: August 04

This may sound weird, but I read about it on a web site and it works. Buy Sauerkraut in a bag (not canned). Swish your mouth once daily with the juice for 1 full minute. It doesn't taste very good, but mine were almost gone by the next morning. Use this once per week once they are cleared and so far 2 months have past and so far none have cropped up.

Canker Sores - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your canker sores?
Canker Sores - Topical Medications Question: What topical medications have been effective treatments for your canker sores?
Canker Sores - Oral Medications Question: Which medications have you tried for pain or to treat your canker sores? What would you recommend?
Canker Sores - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with canker sores.