Patient Comments: Canker Sores - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective for your canker sores.

Comment from: A66eyroad, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

Toothpaste is the worst offender for me, but when I don't have a clean mouth is when more sores seem to crop up. Through trial and error I have found that Tom's of Maine Gingermint is the best on the market for me. Nothing harsh, no laurel sulfate, no peppermint.

Comment from: sarlyn, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I have had canker sores for years and the best solution I have found is to put some vodka on a Q-tip and dab the ulcer with it. The alcohol helps it heal quicker and any surface rubbed with the alcohol is numbed for awhile, making eating and talking and toothbrushing much less painful.

Comment from: Colorado, 55-64 Female Published: September 10

I have frequently recurring cancer sores on my lips, usually in the same places. Mental stress (worry) is the primary cause of a recurrence. Physical stress (an infected tooth) also caused cancer sores to happen one incidence after the other for months until my failed root canal was redone. The best treatment, once I feel the burning of an oncoming cancer sore is frequent application of Abreva. The sore will not continue to develop. The best defense is staying healthy. Drinking water is the best medicine I have discovered.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

Debacterol is the most sure and steadfast relief of my dime size ulcers. It is only offered by a dentist or by written prescription from your doctor and then is special ordered by a pharmacy. It is the best on the market. You have to go through hoops to get it, but, it's worth it when you're suffering weeks at a time.

Comment from: Pain free, 45-54 Female Published: August 04

This may sound weird, but I read about it on a web site and it works. Buy Sauerkraut in a bag (not canned). Swish your mouth once daily with the juice for 1 full minute. It doesn't taste very good, but mine were almost gone by the next morning. Use this once per week once they are cleared and so far 2 months have past and so far none have cropped up.

Comment from: sally, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I had them for most of my life, and yogurt with live culture stopped them years ago. I still eat it every day, and I haven't had a single canker sore since.

Comment from: jwampner, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

When I have had canker sores in my throat I have been able to get relief by sucking on Canada Wintergreen Lozenges; a pink, Pepto Bismal colored candy found at most drug stores.

Canker Sores - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your canker sores?
Canker Sores - Topical Medications Question: What topical medications have been effective treatments for your canker sores?
Canker Sores - Oral Medications Question: Which medications have you tried for pain or to treat your canker sores? What would you recommend?
Canker Sores - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with canker sores.