Patient Comments: Canker Sores - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective for your canker sores.

Comment from: Kevin, 55-64 Male Published: September 26

Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda) has always worked for me. I get cankers on my tongue from time to time and I simply coat the canker with the Baking Soda and hold my mouth open for 30 seconds and rinse. By the next morning they are always gone.

Comment from: old person, 75 or over Female Published: September 26

At one time (very long ago), I used merthiolate, which was moderately effective on my canker sores. Now I use Fluocinonide which zaps the sores and keeps them from hurting while they heal quickly. It's a prescription drug, but inexpensive.

Published: July 30

I am a 39-year-old female and have experienced canker sores since childhood. I have found that rinsing with hydrogen peroxide reduces the amount of canker sores I normally get, and when I have sores, it relieves the pain and inflammation associated with them. It also allows for less painful tooth brushing. Avoiding wheat also greatly reduces my canker sore incidence; something which I found out by chance.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

My Canker sores cleared up when I stopped using mouthwash. Using too much mouthwash too long and too often can kill all the "good" bacteria that helps keep the mouth healthy.

Comment from: SiameseCat, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 13

Using an antiseptic mouthrinse twice a day reduced the frequency and severity of my canker sores. Also, I just tried Debacterol last week and it seemed to help.

Comment from: cankersorenomore, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 13

I was a chronic canker sore sufferer for years (would often get multiple large canker sores that would grow together) until at a doctor visit a nurse recommended that I take a lysine supplement (one of the 9 essential amino acids) which worked for her and her son. After taking one tablet a day for about a month, I have yet to ever again have another canker sore over the past ten years. I have recommended it to others and it has worked for them as well.

Comment from: archalupa, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 13

I suffered from canker sores all of my life. I would get them at least once every month or so. Then a friend told me he read that putting metal like pens, paper clips, etc. in your mouth was one of the suspected causes. I quit putting metal not intended for my mouth in my mouth and now the only time I get cankers is when I bite my tongue or cheek.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

Right now I have 9 canker sores in my mouth and I am suffering terribly. The biggest one is on my soft palate next to my uvula and is about one cm. square. I can barely swallow and I have radiating pain to my right ear. I have used every topical anesthetic on the market and over the counter mouthwash specific to helping resolve canker sores. The only thing that has ever worked for me is triamcinolone paste. If I am able to get it on the ulcer as soon as I know I have one, it heals in about 5 days. Otherwise, I have sores in my mouth that have taken three weeks to heal. My 7 year-old daughter and my three year-old son have them also.

Comment from: maria12340, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

The best treatment for canker sore is to put a chip of alum on top of the sore, this is quite painful, but you only have to suffer for an hour rather than a week without an alum. The alum will make the white coating something like "cook" and pain goes away only in a few hours.

Canker Sores - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your canker sores?
Canker Sores - Topical Medications Question: What topical medications have been effective treatments for your canker sores?
Canker Sores - Oral Medications Question: Which medications have you tried for pain or to treat your canker sores? What would you recommend?
Canker Sores - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with canker sores.