Patient Comments: Canker Sores - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective for your canker sores.

Comment from: MarthaT, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I applied the baking soda treatment on my canker sore and it works. I applied it directly on the canker sore, it stung a little, but thank God, the irritation and pain are gone.

Comment from: Pete, Male Published: October 24

My mom used to put glycerin on her finger tip then place it on the canker sore in my mouth, a few treatments later it was gone. Now I got my wife doing it as well. It is a important part of our medicine cabinet.

Comment from: Kevin, 55-64 Male Published: September 26

Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda) has always worked for me. I get cankers on my tongue from time to time and I simply coat the canker with the Baking Soda and hold my mouth open for 30 seconds and rinse. By the next morning they are always gone.

Comment from: old person, 75 or over Female Published: September 26

At one time (very long ago), I used merthiolate, which was moderately effective on my canker sores. Now I use Fluocinonide which zaps the sores and keeps them from hurting while they heal quickly. It's a prescription drug, but inexpensive.

Published: July 30

I am a 39-year-old female and have experienced canker sores since childhood. I have found that rinsing with hydrogen peroxide reduces the amount of canker sores I normally get, and when I have sores, it relieves the pain and inflammation associated with them. It also allows for less painful tooth brushing. Avoiding wheat also greatly reduces my canker sore incidence; something which I found out by chance.

Comment from: Laura, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 10

I started my boyfriend on a daily dose of L-Lysine and it seems to help dramatically, along with taking an iron supplement every day.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

The only thing that got rid of my canker sores, was being pregnant. I never had a single one the entire 9 months, and now that I've had the baby they have come back with full force. I'm not able to put anything on them because they are all in the back of my throat.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

My Canker sores cleared up when I stopped using mouthwash. Using too much mouthwash too long and too often can kill all the "good" bacteria that helps keep the mouth healthy.

Comment from: SiameseCat, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 13

Using an antiseptic mouthrinse twice a day reduced the frequency and severity of my canker sores. Also, I just tried Debacterol last week and it seemed to help.

Comment from: cankersorenomore, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 13

I was a chronic canker sore sufferer for years (would often get multiple large canker sores that would grow together) until at a doctor visit a nurse recommended that I take a lysine supplement (one of the 9 essential amino acids) which worked for her and her son. After taking one tablet a day for about a month, I have yet to ever again have another canker sore over the past ten years. I have recommended it to others and it has worked for them as well.

Canker Sores - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your canker sores?
Canker Sores - Topical Medications Question: What topical medications have been effective treatments for your canker sores?
Canker Sores - Oral Medications Question: Which medications have you tried for pain or to treat your canker sores? What would you recommend?
Canker Sores - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with canker sores.