Patient Comments: Canker Sores - Experience

Please describe your experience with canker sores.

Comment from: katy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I started getting canker sores when I started a new medication. My dentist said my pH changed in my mouth after taking the new medicines. He told me to rinse my mouth twice daily with baking soda and water; about a teaspoon per half cup of warm water. I have not had one since. I do it every morning after I brush my teeth and every evening after I brush my teeth.

Comment from: Rashid, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

I've recently found a solution for aphthous ulcer (canker sores). At least it works for me. I mixed salt in drinking water (it should be very salty) and then gargle with it. You have to do it at the very early stage of the ulcer, or it might not be helpful later. And try to gargle in the night just before you go to sleep and don't eat or drink anything after the gargle till the morning. So the salty taste remains. That's why I choose to do it just before go to sleep. Do this for 2 to 3 days in a row. I've tried it every time when the ulcer attacks, and it's working so far. I'll be happy if this could help anyone to lessen the pain of aphthous ulcer.

Comment from: Plma, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

About 2 weeks ago I had 4 canker sores all at once in my mouth. They healed. The next week I developed the flu. Along with it came a sore throat. The flu lasted about 4 days but the sore throat stayed. When I mentioned my sore throat to my family doctor he looked down my mouth and said it didn't look bad and that I just need to ride out my flu. The next day it was much worse. I went to a walk in clinic and asked the doctor to take a swab of my throat for strep throat. He did. He said if it is strep throat then I would get a call within 2 days. I got no call, so no strep throat. My throat continues to be very sore and it seems to be going further down my throat. So I came to a conclusion that I have canker sores in my throat and to just wait a few more days to see if it gets better. It will be a week tomorrow. Should I go back to my doctor and take it from there or should I wait a few more days, I am frustrated and in pain.

Comment from: Ashly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

My sores always occur under the sides of tongue and my whole jaw will ache terribly. Any movemnt of the tongue or swallowing saliva is sheer torture. Seems like it never goes well.

Canker Sores - Effective Treatments Question: Please describe what treatments have been effective for your canker sores.
Canker Sores - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your canker sores?
Canker Sores - Topical Medications Question: What topical medications have been effective treatments for your canker sores?
Canker Sores - Oral Medications Question: Which medications have you tried for pain or to treat your canker sores? What would you recommend?