Table of Contents
- Canker sore definition and facts
- What are canker sores, and what do they look like?
- What causes canker sores?
- Are canker sores the same thing as cold sores (fever blisters)?
- What are symptoms and signs of canker sores?
- What natural or home remedies cure canker sores?
- What topical prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) medications cure canker sores?
- What mouthwash solutions be used to treat and cure canker sores?
- What oral medications are available to cure canker sores?
- What should a person do if they get reccurent or chronic canker sores?
Quick GuideTop Problems in Your Mouth
Are canker sores the same thing as cold sores (fever blisters)?
Canker sores occur inside the mouth and are not contagious. Fever blisters are infections caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV), they mostly occur on the lips and outside of the mouth, and they are very contagious.
Femiano, F., Lanza, Alessandro. et al. Guidelines for Diagnosis and Mangement of Aphthous and Stomatitis. The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal. August 2007; vol 26: pp 728-732.
PubMedHealth.gov. Canker Sore.
University of Maryland Medical Center. Goldenseal.
University of Maryland Medical Center. Licorice.
WebMD.com. Canker Sores.
WebMD.com. Understanding Canker Sore Symptoms.