Table of Contents
- Canker sores facts
- What are canker sores? What do canker sores look like?
- What are symptoms and signs of canker sores?
- Are canker sores the same thing as fever blisters?
- What are the causes of canker sores?
- What is the treatment for canker sores?
- What kind of topical medications (gels or ointments) are available for canker sores?
- Can mouthwash solutions be used to treat canker sores?
- What oral medications are available to help canker sores?
- What should I do if I get canker sores frequently?
Quick GuideDental Health: Top Problems in Your Mouth
Are canker sores the same thing as fever blisters?
Canker sores occur inside the mouth and are not contagious. Fever blisters are infections caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV), they mostly occur on the lips and outside of the mouth, and they are very contagious. Continue Reading
Femiano, F., Lanza, Alessandro. et al. Guidelines for Diagnosis and Mangement of Aphthous and Stomatitis. The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal. August 2007; vol 26: pp 728-732.
PubMedHealth.gov. Canker Sore.
University of Maryland Medical Center. Goldenseal.
University of Maryland Medical Center. Licorice.
WebMD.com. Canker Sores.
WebMD.com. Understanding Canker Sore Symptoms.
5. Getty Images
6. Getty Images
8. Getty Images
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Newsletters
Get the latest health and medical information delivered direct to your inbox!