Table of Contents
- Canker sores facts
- What are canker sores? What do canker sores look like?
- What are symptoms and signs of canker sores?
- Are canker sores the same thing as fever blisters?
- What are the causes of canker sores?
- What is the treatment for canker sores?
- What kind of topical medications (gels or ointments) are available for canker sores?
- Can mouthwash solutions be used to treat canker sores?
- What oral medications are available to help canker sores?
- What should I do if I get canker sores frequently?
Canker Sores (Mouth Sores) Symptoms
Some people may experience the following related canker sores symptoms and signs:
- Bleeding Gums
- Lump Or Mass On Gums
- Painful Gums
Quick GuideDental Health: Top Problems in Your Mouth
Canker sores facts
- Canker sores are small, painful ulcers on the inside of the mouth, tongue, lips, or throat.
- Symptoms of canker sores include small, painful, crater-like ulcers.
- See a doctor if canker sores are accompanied by fever, last more than three weeks, or the affected individual has difficulty swallowing.
- Multiple factors may cause canker sores, including injury to the mouth, acidic or spicy foods, vitamin deficiencies, hormones, stress, or autoimmune disorders.
- Canker sores are not the same thing as fever blisters (cold sores).
- Most canker sores require no treatment and heal on their own.
- To help relieve pain and speed healing, treatments and home remedies for canker sores include topical medications, mouthwashes, and over-the-counter pain medications.
- People with frequent canker sores should see their doctor to get tested for possible underlying medical conditions. Continue Reading
Femiano, F., Lanza, Alessandro. et al. Guidelines for Diagnosis and Mangement of Aphthous and Stomatitis. The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal. August 2007; vol 26: pp 728-732.
PubMedHealth.gov. Canker Sore.
University of Maryland Medical Center. Goldenseal.
University of Maryland Medical Center. Licorice.
WebMD.com. Canker Sores.
WebMD.com. Understanding Canker Sore Symptoms.
5. Getty Images
6. Getty Images
8. Getty Images
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Newsletters
Get the latest health and medical information delivered direct to your inbox!