Patient Comments: Cancer Risk Factors - Family History

Is there a history of cancer in your family? What are your concerns?

Comment from: mustbefate, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

My grandfather died of prostate cancer at the age of 53. My father is now 87 with great health. My father shared with me that his dad had a lot of lower back pain for over a year and then was diagnosed with prostate cancer and died within the same year. I'm 54 and I have an annual physical and my prostate is checked when I go in. But I have been plagued with a very stiff lower back and the pain is about a 7, 1 being no pain 10 being extremely painful, 1-10. I'm a very active person, 6'3, 215 pounds.

Cancer Risk Factors - Sunlight Question: Were you diagnosed with skin cancer? Can you recall excessive sun exposure? Please share your story.
Cancer Risk Factors - Tobacco Question: Did/do you smoke or chew tobacco and have been diagnosed with cancer? Please share your experience.
Cancer Risk Factors - Chemicals and Substances Question: Were you diagnosed with cancer? Have you ever been exposed to chemicals? Please share your story.
Cancer Risk Factors - Diet and Exercise Question: In what ways does risk or fear of cancer influence your diet and exercise? Have you changed your lifestyle?