Patient Comments: Cancer - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your cancer?

Comment from: Randibluez14, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I am 17 years old and in September of 2010 I went to the hospital for appendicitis. A week later my mom got a call from the doctor saying they found a tumor in the removed appendix and that I would need a 2nd surgery to make sure the cancer hadn't spread. Let's just say, I was freaking out. Cancer at my age is so rare. They said I'm the first case in my area in 5 years. So they did a 2nd surgery, to remove 20% of my colon and it has spread. 2 more tumors were in the lymph nodes they took. I have to go in for testing every few months. I did my first round of blood and urine testing this month. They looked clean. I just have to go back in a few months for my 2nd round. I'm very lucky they found it in time.

Cancer - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with cancer.
Cancer - Diagnosis Question: What form of cancer do you have? How was it diagnosed? Please share your story.
Cancer - Prevention Question: With a goal of preventing cancer, describe the exams and tests you've had, like mammograms.
Cancer - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your cancer?