Patient Comments: Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with cancer.

Published: July 09

I have cancer that started in my tonsils, a form of lymphoid tissue. I've had four ops. So far, I've had 28 lymphoids removed from my right side of my neck. The radiation and chemo, were much harder to get through than the operations. It takes forever to get any kind of taste back, my appetite has never returned and the only thing that helps that is illegal. I have tried most of there appetite helpers with minimal return that would help keep me alive. This issue needs to be addressed as quality of life isn't much when you have minimal energy to preform basic tasks on the road of life. It's, be illegal and feel like you can accomplish little things that help one fight depression, or feel rung out before the day even starts. This leads me into feeling a sense of getting nothing done, being lazy, and depressed. I have tried many of the cures with no luck. Laser surgery I have just had. We will see if I talk better as my vocal cords changed with the first ops. I have also had a tracheotomy when I was in a car accident 25 yrs. ago, I don't think that helps with my voice or scar tissue.

Comment from: Sniffles1014, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I am a 62 year. old female and 2 years ago I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer which has spread to my liver. At this time I am not taking any chemo. I've done 1 1/2 years of that. I have a fair appetite and at times have pain at the left side of my stomach. I also have Crohns disease so I don't know if the pain in my bowel comes from the cancer or the Crohns, I take pain meds for that when needed. As a result of the pancreatic cancer I have diabetes which seems harder to fight then the cancer. At this time I am doing quite well, am active and have a good amount of energy. Praise be to our Lord and Savior for I am looking for healing. At this stage of the game my doctor is figuring out which avenue to go with chemo. There aren't that many when it comes to this kind of cancer. My faith is strong and I know my Lord will see me through. I'm just so very grateful for the time he has and is giving me on this earth to share with my children and grandchildren.

Comment from: Pejo, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 04

Two years ago I was diagnosed to have sarcoma of the knee. The grapefruit size tumor was excised successfully, but I was left with ongoing nerve pain. I am receiving opiates to relieve the pain but only minimally. This year the sarcoma tumor metastasized into my lung. The surgeon removed three malignant tumors. He said there is nothing more he can do. Chemotherapy and radiation treatments are not an option for my situation. As the disease progresses I will be treated for pain as I am for the nerve pain in my leg. It is not a hopeful situation.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 05

My brother was diagnosed with stage four prostrate cancer two years ago. The cancer has spread to his bones, back and ribs. What is the general prognosis? He did receive radiation on the prostrate (gland was not removed at time of initial surgery) and under went 18 months of hormone treatment. The new cancer area was diagnosed within the past 6 weeks.

Comment from: keith1947, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 27

My husband has throat cancer, and has had a total Laryngectomy, to let you understand he has had stomach problems for a while and is taking Creon for the pancreas and digestion, today he has been vomiting a kind of yellow bile with blood spots and has been unable to eat or drink without being sick or bringing up this awful bile.

Comment from: Cryllian, 55-64 Female Published: April 01

I was diagnosed with lobular cancer in situ. I had a bilateral mastectomy (my choice) and followed that with chemotherapy. Since then, no signs of recurrence, but I wonder with each new pain or change in my body if it is back. My father and all of his brothers and sisters died of cancer and one of my brothers died of pancreatic/liver cancer after being exposed to a PCB spill in Louisiana.

Comment from: pharoah, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 27

Please help me before it is too late. Everyone thinks that only ladies can get breast cancer, but men can also get it. There is an 18% breast cancer rate in men and it is going up. I waited five months before I want to my doctor. It was a shame because I waited too long I had to have everything cut out.

Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your cancer?
Cancer - Diagnosis Question: What form of cancer do you have? How was it diagnosed? Please share your story.
Cancer - Prevention Question: With a goal of preventing cancer, describe the exams and tests you've had, like mammograms.
Cancer - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your cancer?