Patient Comments: Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with cancer.

Comment from: rosmorris, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

My first problem was Raynaud's syndrome which became very severe, necessitating hospitalization and Iloprost infusion to control ulceration of the fingertips. An enlarged underarm gland was investigated at the same time. Following surgery it was found to be cancerous and spreading to other nodes. No primary tumor was found and I was treated for breast cancer throughout 2005. (Chemotherapy followed by axillary clearance.) Because of suspected connective tissue disease, it was decided not to offer radiotherapy. Happily I remain well, and Captopril is proving effective in reducing the Raynaud's. However I am convinced that the cancer and the Raynaud's are connected in some way, perhaps due to stress on my immune system? I'd be interested to know of other similar cases.

Comment from: symptomscancer, Male Published: October 19

General symptoms of cancer include tiredness, loss of appetite, weight loss and night sweats. But many cancers have been not associated to the lump itself though have been associated to proteins which they secrete. Some really tiny cancers can mean serious systemic symptoms, whereas some really vast ones can cause none at all. Most cancers, if caught early, have been treatable as well as have great survival rates.

Comment from: wondering, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I am a Latina woman who was diagnosed with Scleroderma "CREST" in 1999. Since that time, I have had many different surgeries to remove calcinosis. I most recently had a surgery in November 2006 to remove a lump in my right groin (lymph node). It was diagnosed as a secondary squamous cell carcinoma with no site of origin. I keep getting CTs every six months, and still no site of origin. I remember that I had a painful lump on my right thigh, and my doctor said it was another calcinosis. He recommended that I massage it every day. I did, and it disappeared, and then the lump appeared in my groin about a week or two later.

Comment from: tger, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I underwent a radical mastectomy six years ago following discovery of an inverted nipple and a dimple on my left breast. No malignant cells were found in the 31 lymph nodes which were removed and biopsied. I went through a series of chemo treatments and medications were prescribed to prevent recurrence. After six years of use, my oncologist discontinued my medications, as there were no signs of cancer. Ten days later, I experienced severe abdominal and back pain. Four months of CAT scans, MRIs, GI tests, PET scans and a barrage of procedures were all negative. I was told by two doctors that there was absolutely no cancer in my body. After I sought treatment in an emergency room for pain and a high fever, a physician ordered yet another CAT scan and discovered massive Stage IV metastatic bone cancer.

Comment from: Lisa, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 05

My mother just passed away from cancer. She has had cancer for the past 20 years off an on. She had had breast cancer, leukemia, colon cancer, kidney cancer, and the last one was liver cancer.

Comment from: angelag, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 05

I have a male friend (53) who was diagnosed with melanoma 12/05 in his right thigh, just above the back side of the knee (origin of a mole). At the same time as surgery, a lymph node that had been bothering him in his groin was removed and found to be malignant. He went through one year of chemo/radiation treatment. The cancer was found again on a spot on his back, then several spots in his right lung over the next three years. Now there are no signs of cancer on a CT scan. He has started a three-year treatment...14 days on/14 days off of sargramostim (Leukine).

Published: July 16

I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. My right thyroid was removed surgically and the left was destroyed after with radiation/iodine treatments. I have had no after affects, except for my daily dose of Synthroid. As cancer runs in my family, I feel I was lucky to get thyroid cancer. My father, two brothers and I have had the following: colon (my father died of this), melanoma, prostrate, esophagus (my brother was given 6 months to live 13 years ago) and my thyroid. I am a believer that cancer "does" run in families, so I try to guard myself against any cancer that I can, but feel that there isn't always anything we can do to prevent it.

Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your cancer?
Cancer - Diagnosis Question: What form of cancer do you have? How was it diagnosed? Please share your story.
Cancer - Prevention Question: With a goal of preventing cancer, describe the exams and tests you've had, like mammograms.
Cancer - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your cancer?