Patient Comments: Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with cancer.

Comment from: rosmorris, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

My first problem was Raynaud's syndrome which became very severe, necessitating hospitalization and Iloprost infusion to control ulceration of the fingertips. An enlarged underarm gland was investigated at the same time. Following surgery it was found to be cancerous and spreading to other nodes. No primary tumor was found and I was treated for breast cancer throughout 2005. (Chemotherapy followed by axillary clearance.) Because of suspected connective tissue disease, it was decided not to offer radiotherapy. Happily I remain well, and Captopril is proving effective in reducing the Raynaud's. However I am convinced that the cancer and the Raynaud's are connected in some way, perhaps due to stress on my immune system? I'd be interested to know of other similar cases.

Comment from: symptomscancer, Male Published: October 19

General symptoms of cancer include tiredness, loss of appetite, weight loss and night sweats. But many cancers have been not associated to the lump itself though have been associated to proteins which they secrete. Some really tiny cancers can mean serious systemic symptoms, whereas some really vast ones can cause none at all. Most cancers, if caught early, have been treatable as well as have great survival rates.

Comment from: wondering, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I am a Latina woman who was diagnosed with Scleroderma "CREST" in 1999. Since that time, I have had many different surgeries to remove calcinosis. I most recently had a surgery in November 2006 to remove a lump in my right groin (lymph node). It was diagnosed as a secondary squamous cell carcinoma with no site of origin. I keep getting CTs every six months, and still no site of origin. I remember that I had a painful lump on my right thigh, and my doctor said it was another calcinosis. He recommended that I massage it every day. I did, and it disappeared, and then the lump appeared in my groin about a week or two later.

Comment from: angeleyez2112, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 20

My mother has liver/gallbladder cancer. We only found out because one morning she woke up yellow- went to the hospital and was told what it was. They put a stint between the liver and gallbladder for the bile. She doesn't even look like my mother anymore. She wasn't sick a day in her life. She exercises, walks, eats healthy and she's a vegetarian. Her face is sucked in, she looks 20 years older, and it's scary. She won't do chemo, but, will do radiation. The Dr. says there is no cure, nothing medically that can be done, he can only do radiation to "extend" her life. I'm trying to be strong for her, but the tumor already grew over the stint and it's only been 2weeks.

Comment from: daisy dan, 35-44 (Patient) Published: April 19

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in the summer of 2009. One day prior to the diagnosis, I noticed a lump in my right breast, but it was not painful and I did not see any secretion. The next day, I went to the doctor and referred me for a mammogram. About 15 minutes after my test, it was confirmed that I have cancer, so here I am, undergoing treatment.

Comment from: tger, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I underwent a radical mastectomy six years ago following discovery of an inverted nipple and a dimple on my left breast. No malignant cells were found in the 31 lymph nodes which were removed and biopsied. I went through a series of chemo treatments and medications were prescribed to prevent recurrence. After six years of use, my oncologist discontinued my medications, as there were no signs of cancer. Ten days later, I experienced severe abdominal and back pain. Four months of CAT scans, MRIs, GI tests, PET scans and a barrage of procedures were all negative. I was told by two doctors that there was absolutely no cancer in my body. After I sought treatment in an emergency room for pain and a high fever, a physician ordered yet another CAT scan and discovered massive Stage IV metastatic bone cancer.

Comment from: Lisa, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 05

My mother just passed away from cancer. She has had cancer for the past 20 years off an on. She had had breast cancer, leukemia, colon cancer, kidney cancer, and the last one was liver cancer.

Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your cancer?
Cancer - Diagnosis Question: What form of cancer do you have? How was it diagnosed? Please share your story.
Cancer - Prevention Question: What steps have you taken to prevent cancer?
Cancer - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your cancer?