Patient Comments: Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with cancer.

Comment from: abolfazl, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

Don't worry about disease but worry about stress. I guess that I got this cancer and had a lot of stress and fear. Now 2 years of adventure have passed. I realized it was from stress symptoms like headaches and poor appetite and vomiting. Now I'm so happy and hopeful, and feel I can challenge any disease.

Comment from: star, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

My sister has had breast cancer for 12 years. It spread to her liver died last year. I was a nurse, one day I helped a patient out of his bed his elbow hit me on my breast twice, after two months my breast was very painful. Went for all the tests, I also have breast cancer. Total radical mastectomy was done finish last treatment of radiation therapy this week, now for the hormone treatment. All what I can say is that my chemo, and radiation went well, only the burn marks from radiation is very sore. Was it not for the accident I won't be alive today.

Comment from: mc1977, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I am 50 years old. I was diagnosed with AML last August 2009. Symptoms I had were severe fatigue, shortness of breath with simple walking, bone aches in my right ankle, bleeding; nose and ears, flu symptoms, no appetite, and dizziness. I went to the doctor and with blood tests I was sent directly to the hospital. Once there a bone marrow biopsy was done and the result was AML M5. It was so hard going through chemo and I got ALL the affects afterwards. I was very sick from all of it and was in the hospital for a month and 1/2. When I started consolidation chemo, I was back in the hospital a week to the day of completing it. This time I went in with 3 infections in which a sore on my face had to be operated on, and turned into a staph infection which spread to my lungs. In Jan. 2010 I only had 1/2 the treatment of chemo, because I did not want to end up in the hospital again. A week ago I had a BMB and now I am in remission.

Comment from: Texone, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

I have had liver cancer (HCC) since 2002. I underwent a liver transplant in 2002 as well as a RFA pre-transplant. In 2009 I was having severe lower ab pain, had a PET scan and found out the cancer had spread to my colon, lungs, stomach and beyond. The tumor in by bowels was so large they couldn't cut it out so I had to have colon surgery. I have been on Hospice ever since. I am down from 230 lbs in Aug. to 122 lbs in Jan. I have never spoken of this since it happened. I know I am depressed but at 54 I guess I have the right to be. I do blame myself for some of this for not being more pro-active with my sickness. What I want to get across to anyone who will listen is don't just limp along and get your blood test and yearly checkups. Get involved, demand answers, and believe your body. You can feel when something is not right, listen to it, and pray. I wish now I had done all these things, but it is too late for me. These doctors work miracles every day but not without your help. Don't just sit around feeling sorry for yourself feed your doctors every bit of info you can, they can't do it without you. And find something to believe in, be it God or whatever you need, find something to believe in.

Comment from: fssuper, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

My colon cancer was diagnosed in Dec 1996 at the age of 49. Surgery to remove over 1/2 of my colon was performed in January 1997. Chemotherapy lasted nearly a year, once a week, every week, with 2 weeks off scattered within the cycle. I had a large tumor, polyp, and severe ulcerative colitis. I chose to ignore the symptoms (rectal bleeding, bloating, pain) because it was a difficult time in my life. When I finally decided I wanted to live, it was almost too late. The cancer had spread to the lymph nodes as well. My cancer was Stage III. I nearly died. It was a tough year. I gained 62 pounds, yes, GAINED, but my doctor says that more people actually gain while undergoing chemo than lose. Surprise! I now undergo my colonoscopies at regular intervals and watch for signs. I try very hard to stay away from stress as I feel this was a major factor in the onset of this disease. I am a lucky person. I am a cancer survivor and am still in remission. There is hope and there is recovery, no matter what you think in your darkest moments and there are plenty of those. Keep the faith, try to stay positive. With all the advancements in cancer treatment since my surgery and chemo in 1997, your future is probably brighter than mine was at the time, but Look, I'm still here, 13 years later. Wow. I am in awe and still grateful. Bless you all.

Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your cancer?
Cancer - Diagnosis Question: What form of cancer do you have? How was it diagnosed? Please share your story.
Cancer - Prevention Question: What steps have you taken to prevent cancer?
Cancer - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your cancer?