Patient Comments: Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with cancer.

Comment from: Texone, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

I have had liver cancer (HCC) since 2002. I underwent a liver transplant in 2002 as well as a RFA pre-transplant. In 2009 I was having severe lower ab pain, had a PET scan and found out the cancer had spread to my colon, lungs, stomach and beyond. The tumor in by bowels was so large they couldn't cut it out so I had to have colon surgery. I have been on Hospice ever since. I am down from 230 lbs in Aug. to 122 lbs in Jan. I have never spoken of this since it happened. I know I am depressed but at 54 I guess I have the right to be. I do blame myself for some of this for not being more pro-active with my sickness. What I want to get across to anyone who will listen is don't just limp along and get your blood test and yearly checkups. Get involved, demand answers, and believe your body. You can feel when something is not right, listen to it, and pray. I wish now I had done all these things, but it is too late for me. These doctors work miracles every day but not without your help. Don't just sit around feeling sorry for yourself feed your doctors every bit of info you can, they can't do it without you. And find something to believe in, be it God or whatever you need, find something to believe in.

Comment from: star, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

My sister has had breast cancer for 12 years. It spread to her liver died last year. I was a nurse, one day I helped a patient out of his bed his elbow hit me on my breast twice, after two months my breast was very painful. Went for all the tests, I also have breast cancer. Total radical mastectomy was done finish last treatment of radiation therapy this week, now for the hormone treatment. All what I can say is that my chemo, and radiation went well, only the burn marks from radiation is very sore. Was it not for the accident I won't be alive today.

Comment from: angeleyez2112, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 20

My mother has liver/gallbladder cancer. We only found out because one morning she woke up yellow- went to the hospital and was told what it was. They put a stint between the liver and gallbladder for the bile. She doesn't even look like my mother anymore. She wasn't sick a day in her life. She exercises, walks, eats healthy and she's a vegetarian. Her face is sucked in, she looks 20 years older, and it's scary. She won't do chemo, but, will do radiation. The Dr. says there is no cure, nothing medically that can be done, he can only do radiation to "extend" her life. I'm trying to be strong for her, but the tumor already grew over the stint and it's only been 2weeks.

Comment from: daisy dan, 35-44 (Patient) Published: April 19

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in the summer of 2009. One day prior to the diagnosis, I noticed a lump in my right breast, but it was not painful and I did not see any secretion. The next day, I went to the doctor and referred me for a mammogram. About 15 minutes after my test, it was confirmed that I have cancer, so here I am, undergoing treatment.

Comment from: fssuper, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

My colon cancer was diagnosed in Dec 1996 at the age of 49. Surgery to remove over 1/2 of my colon was performed in January 1997. Chemotherapy lasted nearly a year, once a week, every week, with 2 weeks off scattered within the cycle. I had a large tumor, polyp, and severe ulcerative colitis. I chose to ignore the symptoms (rectal bleeding, bloating, pain) because it was a difficult time in my life. When I finally decided I wanted to live, it was almost too late. The cancer had spread to the lymph nodes as well. My cancer was Stage III. I nearly died. It was a tough year. I gained 62 pounds, yes, GAINED, but my doctor says that more people actually gain while undergoing chemo than lose. Surprise! I now undergo my colonoscopies at regular intervals and watch for signs. I try very hard to stay away from stress as I feel this was a major factor in the onset of this disease. I am a lucky person. I am a cancer survivor and am still in remission. There is hope and there is recovery, no matter what you think in your darkest moments and there are plenty of those. Keep the faith, try to stay positive. With all the advancements in cancer treatment since my surgery and chemo in 1997, your future is probably brighter than mine was at the time, but Look, I'm still here, 13 years later. Wow. I am in awe and still grateful. Bless you all.

Cancer - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your cancer?
Cancer - Diagnosis Question: What form of cancer do you have? How was it diagnosed? Please share your story.
Cancer - Prevention Question: With a goal of preventing cancer, describe the exams and tests you've had, like mammograms.
Cancer - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your cancer?