- Osteoporosis Slideshow Pictures
- Super Foods for Your Bones Slideshow Pictures
- Take the Osteoporosis Quiz
- What brand names are available for calcitonin?
- Is calcitonin available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for calcitonin?
- What are the side effects of calcitonin?
- What is the dosage for calcitonin?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with calcitonin?
- Is calcitonin safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about calcitonin?
What brand names are available for calcitonin?
Miacalcin (Calcimar and Fortical are discontinued).
Is calcitonin available as a generic drug?
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
Do I need a prescription for calcitonin?
What are the side effects of calcitonin?
Side effects from calcitonin are uncommon and usually are mild. Injectable calcitonin can cause:
The nasal spray can cause other side effects including:
The nausea that can occur with injectable calcitonin is unlikely to occur with the nasal spray. In rare instances, the nasal spray can cause an upset stomach.
Quick GuideWhat Is Osteoporosis? Treatment, Symptoms, Medication
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.