Patient Comments: Calcific Bursitis - Treatment

What kinds of treatment did you undergo for calcific bursitis? What would you recommend?

Comment from: calc, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

I had calcific bursitis in both shoulders in my early thirties. I still have very mild symptoms, especially when sleeping on my left side. I greatly reduced pain through weight training, using tradition 'wall weights' used in boxing gyms. This seems to have strengthened shoulder and flushed calcium from joints.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Sue hazel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I have calcific bursitis severely in both shoulders. I have had cortisone injections and hydrodilatation in both shoulders with little relief. I have had surgery on my left shoulder to remove the bursa and repair the torn tendon. Unfortunately, 6 months later the bursa was back, worse than before. Now the doctor has urged me to retry hydrodilatation to see if that may help. He does not want to repeat surgery as he believes it will reoccur again. I also have some calcific changes in my left hip.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Calcific Bursitis - Experience Question: Where is/was your calcific bursitis located? Please describe your experience.
Calcific Bursitis - Symptoms Question: Did you have any symptoms associated with your calcific bursitis? How was it detected?
Calcific Bursitis - Prevention Question: Please share suggestions for preventing injury or reinjury that would cause calcific bursitis.

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors