- Causes of Fatigue Slideshow Pictures
- Sleep Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
- Sleep Slideshow: Foods That Help or Harm Your Sleep
- What is caffeine tablets-oral, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
- What brand names are available for caffeine tablets-oral?
- Is caffeine tablets-oral available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for caffeine tablets-oral?
- What are the side effects of caffeine tablets-oral?
- What is the dosage for caffeine tablets-oral?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with caffeine tablets-oral?
- Is caffeine tablets-oral safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about caffeine tablets-oral?
What is caffeine tablets-oral, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
Caffeine acts as a stimulant of the nervous system by inhibiting the enzyme phosphodiesterase, just like theophylline and aminophylline. Inhibiting this enzyme leads to increased formation of the proteins which causes release of stimulating chemical signals known as neurotransmitters. These neurotransmitters bind to various sites in the body, including the brain, heart, and muscles to cause a stimulant effect.
What brand names are available for caffeine tablets-oral?
Enerjets, No Doz, Vivarin
Is caffeine tablets-oral available as a generic drug?
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
Do I need a prescription for caffeine tablets-oral?
What are the side effects of caffeine tablets-oral?
Side effects associated with caffeine supplements include irregular heartbeat, chest pain, flushing, palpitations, rapid heartbeat, agitation, dizziness, hallucinations, headache, insomnia, irritability, psychosis, restlessness, rash, increased pressure in the eye, and frequent urination.
Quick GuideSleep Disorders: Insomnia, Sleep Apnea, and More
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.