Patient Comments: CA 125 - Testing Experience

What was the outcome of your CA125 blood test?

Comment from: Marg, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I had a CA125 reading at the start of my cancer of 8,319. I had an ovarian operation and today finished my 6th cycle of chemotherapy. My CA125 count is now 25. I will still will have ongoing treatment but I feel I now have hope for the future.

Comment from: Nikky, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I have had a CA125 blood test, the first one's result was 50, and 6 weeks later it was 129. They have fast tracked me to see a gynecologist as it maybe cervical or ovarian cancer. I am stressed to death and alongside this my ferritin is only 8. I am worried if this means I have cancer.

Comment from: Purple913, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I was diagnosed in 2007 with ovarian cancer. My CA125 was 90. I had a hysterectomy and 5 treatments of chemotherapy. I could not do the 6th because of neuropathy. Now my CA125 has gone from 7 to 17. I am having a scan tomorrow; better to be safe than sorry. I check my CA125 at least 3 times a year and I have been free since 2008.

Comment from: Magge, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I was diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer in January this year. I had no signs of cancer except a giant bloated stomach. After numerous attempts at seeking help I went to a big teaching hospital in and after heaps of tests I was given my rather disturbing news. My CA125 test was 580. I did not understand it at the time, but now know how bad that is. I was too ill to have surgery so had chemotherapy first. Then after 7 months I had surgery, with great results. After having another 3 months of chemotherapy my CA 125 is now at 11. I haven't as yet, had a PET scan (keeping fingers crossed), which will give a better picture. This is my amazing story, I am still alive and hope to stay well.

Comment from: HeyJude, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I had the cancer antigen CA125 test in June of 2012 at age 55 due to ovarian cyst that was discovered on CT scan of my intestines (38 year history of Crohn's). My obstetrician/gynecologist said it's unusual for post-menopausal women to have ovarian cyst. I'd had partial hysterectomy (left my ovaries) in my mid 30s during my 3rd small bowel resection for Crohn's. They couldn't get a good look at it on external ultrasound so he had them do it trans-vaginally. He said it appeared to be fluid filled, and didn't look like ovarian cancer, but because of my age he did the blood test and it came back 11.4. He had me going every 3 months for trans-vaginal ultrasound, and did the cancer antigen (ca) 125 test again a year later. He said it dropped a couple of points, didn't give me the number this time, but wanted me to keep getting the ultrasound every 3 months. The last time I went about 9 months ago the technician was very rough, and didn't use enough lubricant. I was in tears, and never went back. Now 9 months later I had another CT (Crohn's) and it's still there! I guess I'll have to have another vaginal ultrasound, and the cancer antigen CA125 again. Oh well, better safe than sorry I suppose. To those of you that have ovarian cancer, or have had it my heart goes out to you, and your loved ones.

Comment from: louise77, Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I had 30 cm tumor on right ovary grade C1. My last CA 125 blood test said 16u/ml. down from 48. I have been told I don't need chemotherapy, so they are monitoring, and it's been just over a year now. Just want this to be over.

Comment from: Kimmy1972, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

My CA125 was 149 and I don't know what to expect I am a BRCA gene.

Ca 125 - Results Question: Share your experience with your CA 125 test results.