Patient Comments: CA 125 - Testing Experience

What was the outcome of your CA125 blood test?

Comment from: Judielane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

My first CA125 was a little over 5000 and after 9 chemotherapy treatments, it was down to 200. I had surgery and was down to high 40s and after 15 more chemotherapy treatments, down to 22. Three months after finishing chemotherapy CA 125 was 36. I am alarmed so I am getting a CAT scan and hoping all is clear.

Comment from: Marla from PA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I was having pain on my left side all the way to my back. The doctor did an internal examination and felt abdominal mass and swelling. Ultra sound showed normal left ovary but a 3mm cyst on right ovary. CA-125 result was 16.0. The doctor said swelling/mass in abdomen was most likely stool due to constipation. A follow up ultra sound will be done in 6 weeks on the right ovary to see if the cyst dissolved and was simply a monthly cyst due to ovulation, also known as corpus luteum. I'm feeling such a relief, thank goodness!

Comment from: Healed in PA, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

Please be careful of this blood test only! My CA 125 test was over 600, but read on! I had what I thought was a urinary tract infection. My doctor sent me on the fast track for surgery - with this blood test. The first result was over 600, and he said I had ovarian cancer, Stage 4, and needed a complete hysterectomy within 24 hours. They also wanted to take samples of lymph nodes. An ultrasound showed a cyst on one of my ovaries. I was young, and wanted more children. We requested a second opinion. They told me I didn't have time - it was November, and I'd be dead by Spring. My husband and I insisted. I was sent to a women's hospital in our closest major city. The doctors there confirmed their results and scheduled me for surgery in FEB. I requested the blood test be repeated. They examined me and said they felt the cyst and I definitely needed the hysterectomy. HERE'S THE AMAZING CATCH: The specialists in the city hospital EXAMINED THE WRONG SIDE OF ME (THE WRONG OVARY) - and YET THEY STILL FOUND A CYST! They still insisted I needed surgery. We stuck to our request to have the blood test repeated. The second test dropped from over 600 down to 59. I had it repeated again in four weeks - the third test was down to 40. I NEVER HAD THE SURGERY - I AM HEALTHY, HAPPY - AND I AM STILL WHOLE. IT WAS JUST A URINARY TRACT INFECTION CURED BY ANTIBIOTICS, AND SOME CONSTIPATION CURED BY METAMUCIL. SO DON'T BE FOOLED BY THE FEAR FACTOR - USE YOUR HEAD, GET A SECOND OPINION, AND REMEMBER GOD IS THE GREAT PHYSICIAN! Watch out for that CA-125 Test - you can't count on it to be reliable for a cancer test. Get your tests repeated - it's DEFINITELY worth it!!!

Comment from: vas, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

After surgery and 8 chemotherapy sessions my CA125 is still 15.

Comment from: Frailty13, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I don't understand the C125. It was never a marker the entire time I had ovarian cancer. My CA125 was never over 11.

Comment from: girl69, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I have a CA 125 of 47.78. I do not have cancer that I know of.

Comment from: Thanuja, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have done CA 125 test and result is 1.9-16.3U/ml with a median of 4.8 U/ml.

Ca 125 - Results Question: Share your experience with your CA 125 test results.