Patient Comments: CA 125 - Testing Experience

What was the outcome of your CA125 blood test?

Published: September 14

Women need to listen to their bodies and not ignore symptoms. If you are having bloating, constipation, lower back pain, which everyone does at some time, make sure you don't ignore them. Go to your Dr. insist on getting a CA 125. Yes it can be elevated for many reasons, but if it is elevated have it investigated. Ovarian cancer is a silent killer. The earlier it is caught the better chance of survival.

Comment from: linedancer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I am 63 years old. I have 2 ovarian cysts of 7 & 8 that have not enlarged in 2 years. My CA125 was 29. The doctor said anything above 20 in post menopausal women is considered high. I have no uterus. I do have a paratid gland tumor. She said the CA125 may be reacting to that.

Comment from: Matt's Momma, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 28

My Mom was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with cancer. Oncologist gave us the results today. Mom's CA-125 is over 2000! She starts Chemo next week.

Comment from: dede, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I have ovarian cancer. I have had surgery in January 2007. I have been on constant chemo treatments. I have to have IV's and be put in hospital. It's been going on for 3 years and 5 months. My tumor is now eating into my liver. With no hope of recovery. I have gained weight and have lower back pain as well as cramping in lower stomach. I pray for all who has been faced with this deadly disease. Hopefully one day there will be a cure. Please get checked if you have constipation problems. It can save your life. I have found that a general family doctor doesn't look for ovarian cancer. I believe it needs to be a regular routine check up for women. Please pray with me that a cure will soon be found.

Comment from: heather, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

In May '10 at age 39, I delivered via c-section a healthy baby boy and the surgeon discovered at that time that my ovary was over 10 cm in diameter and I had numerous .5 to 1 cm covering my uterus and stomach lining. I was diagnosed with stage 3c ovarian cancer and registered a CA 125 of 2100. Three weeks later, just before starting chemo, my CA 125 had climbed to 3600. I am about to start my second round of chemo and check my CA 125 again. I am hoping it will have gone down significantly, but wanted to post as it seems everyone else that posted registered CA125 readings much lower than me. My doctors say my numbers are so high because of the pregnancy and C Section.

Comment from: lilw, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

The doctor has found a hemorrhagic ovarian cyst on my left ovary and my CA 125 11 test is at 143. I am seeing a gynecologist at the end of June. Doctor's think the level only elevated because of the cyst and possible endometriosis because of my history. I'm nervous waiting. The doctor gave me medicine for the pain thankfully.

Comment from: Karifa, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

I had two blood tests with a week. The first test showed my CA 125 reading at 176.5 which terrified me! My doctor suggested that I have another test undertaken the following week which produced a reading of 45. Needless to say this situation is very confusing. My doctor has suggested that I monitor the readings and if the CA 125 reading starts to increase, I should consider a biopsy or more likely have my ovaries and uterus removed.

Comment from: Butterfly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I had breast cancer in 1994, chemo and no recurrence. I went to the doctor with stomach ache and diarrhea 10/08. I had CT scan that showed ovarian cancer. Surgery for TAH, removal of omentum and all but 6" of colon. Stage IV. Started chemo 12/08 and have been in remission but CA-125 has now climbed to 240. Have had 2 CT scans and they can't find the cancer and can't treat until they do. The doctor says he is sure cancer is back, but until he can find it, he can't treat it. Waiting is scary.

Ca 125 - Results Question: Share your experience with your CA 125 test results.