Patient Comments: CA 125 - Testing Experience

What was the outcome of your CA125 blood test?

Comment from: CA125, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I had two small cysts 35 and 30mm in diameter and supra pubic pain then my doctor checked CA125 and the result is 490 now I am waiting for surgery and biopsy.

Comment from: kais84, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 14

My mom had been suffering from constipation for a while, never fully emptying when going to the bathroom. She also had recently begun to feel exhaustion, headaches, and bloating after eating small quantities. Her diet was high in fiber and low in animal protein. She did moderate walking in the evenings after work. Within the past month, she was starting to feel some side abdominal pain. One Sunday morning when she could no longer take it, she went to the ER. They immediately did a CT scan and found tumors scattered around her intestines as well as on her liver. A biopsy was performed and confirmed malignancy (stage 3 ovarian cancer). However, a blood test had been performed ahead of time and although the doctors were aware of her abnormally high CA 125 levels (her's came back at levels of 180) they did not tell us she had cancer because it was just a marker that could read a false positive. Nothing was CONFIRMED until a biopsy was performed. All doctors know that a DEFINITIVE DIAGNOSIS for cancer can ONLY be given after a biopsy sample has been sent to the lab and analyzed by a pathologist. So although in the case of my mom it was accurate, always insist on biopsies. Even scans are not classified as definitive diagnoses, they are differential diagnoses only.

Published: September 14

Women need to listen to their bodies and not ignore symptoms. If you are having bloating, constipation, lower back pain, which everyone does at some time, make sure you don't ignore them. Go to your Dr. insist on getting a CA 125. Yes it can be elevated for many reasons, but if it is elevated have it investigated. Ovarian cancer is a silent killer. The earlier it is caught the better chance of survival.

Comment from: linedancer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I am 63 years old. I have 2 ovarian cysts of 7 & 8 that have not enlarged in 2 years. My CA125 was 29. The doctor said anything above 20 in post menopausal women is considered high. I have no uterus. I do have a paratid gland tumor. She said the CA125 may be reacting to that.

Comment from: Matt's Momma, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 28

My Mom was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with cancer. Oncologist gave us the results today. Mom's CA-125 is over 2000! She starts Chemo next week.

Comment from: dede, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I have ovarian cancer. I have had surgery in January 2007. I have been on constant chemo treatments. I have to have IV's and be put in hospital. It's been going on for 3 years and 5 months. My tumor is now eating into my liver. With no hope of recovery. I have gained weight and have lower back pain as well as cramping in lower stomach. I pray for all who has been faced with this deadly disease. Hopefully one day there will be a cure. Please get checked if you have constipation problems. It can save your life. I have found that a general family doctor doesn't look for ovarian cancer. I believe it needs to be a regular routine check up for women. Please pray with me that a cure will soon be found.

Comment from: heather, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

In May '10 at age 39, I delivered via c-section a healthy baby boy and the surgeon discovered at that time that my ovary was over 10 cm in diameter and I had numerous .5 to 1 cm covering my uterus and stomach lining. I was diagnosed with stage 3c ovarian cancer and registered a CA 125 of 2100. Three weeks later, just before starting chemo, my CA 125 had climbed to 3600. I am about to start my second round of chemo and check my CA 125 again. I am hoping it will have gone down significantly, but wanted to post as it seems everyone else that posted registered CA125 readings much lower than me. My doctors say my numbers are so high because of the pregnancy and C Section.

Ca 125 - Results Question: Share your experience with your CA 125 test results.