Patient Comments: Burns (First Aid) - Experience

What type of burn did you experience?

Comment from: Bendigo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I had twenty hours of vomiting and diarrhea. Pepto-Bismol helped with my gastroenteritis. Three doctor visits, one emergency room visit and I'm still feeling tired with no energy. Food does not appeal to me. I am drinking lots of water, and taking a muscle relaxant for terrible back pain which started three hours after vomiting started. This is awful stomach flu. I haven't felt this sick since chemotherapy. I hope you don't get this.

Comment from: smokinjo29, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 07

A boy 3 years old put the back of his hand to see how hot the oven was. It was just a quick touch and the window was so hot that it got three of his fingers. We put ice on it right away but cold water worked better to reduce the pain. Later we added butter with no salt and this helped with the redness. A couple days later it showed like dry skin on the surface.

Comment from: Sarah P., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 15

My arm was broken by someone throwing a large rock. On the x-ray the bone is totally broken in the first, and now the bones ends don't even touch. I wonder if it should have been reset.

Comment from: doe, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 25

At age 31 I was in a boat explosion. I got 3rd degree burns on arms and legs and 2nd degree on face and part of chest. The leg muscle on my left leg was destroyed. I had multiple skin grafts, and fusing of ankle a few years later. I am still feeling effects at age 86. Now I have lymphedema in my 'good' leg. A wonderful doctor who learned skin grafting during World War II saved my life!

Comment from: tom, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I experienced hot coffee burns that peeled off the skin on my finger.

Comment from: Ms hady, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I experienced a third degree grease burn.

Comment from: kw, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

Boiling noodles, while emptying pot the hot water splashed on my abdomen. I have reddened area of 4 by 5 and 2 areas of burnt skin the size of a quarter each. Tissue is pink and slightly fuzzy in appearance. I have no pain at present.

Comment from: fallon, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 12

A small drop of boiling water dropped on the patient's foot, causing a large blister to form. Blister broke and now there is a relatively large raw area of skin on the foot. Have been treating affected area with antibiotic ointment and covering area with bandage at night. Affected area does not seem to be clearing up. Foot is also swollen.

Comment from: cpmt, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I had a kitchen oil hand burn. I used soy sauce on it after washing with cold water. I wet a kitchen towel with regular soy sauce (not light) and held 1 or two minutes over the burn. After that, no pain, no blisters, only redness. Small burns can be minimized with soy sauce put immediately on where the burn happened.

Burns - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you receive for your burn? What part or how much of your body was affected?
Electrical Burns - Experience Question: Have you or someone you know suffered an electrical shock and/or burns? Please describe your experience.
Chemical Burns - Experience Question: Did you suffer a chemical burn? Please describe what happened.