Patient Comments: Burns (First Aid) - Experience

What type of burn did you experience?

Comment from: doe, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 25

At age 31 I was in a boat explosion. I got 3rd degree burns on arms and legs and 2nd degree on face and part of chest. The leg muscle on my left leg was destroyed. I had multiple skin grafts, and fusing of ankle a few years later. I am still feeling effects at age 86. Now I have lymphedema in my 'good' leg. A wonderful doctor who learned skin grafting during World War II saved my life!

Comment from: tom, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I experienced hot coffee burns that peeled off the skin on my finger.

Comment from: kw, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

Boiling noodles, while emptying pot the hot water splashed on my abdomen. I have reddened area of 4 by 5 and 2 areas of burnt skin the size of a quarter each. Tissue is pink and slightly fuzzy in appearance. I have no pain at present.

Comment from: fallon, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 12

A small drop of boiling water dropped on the patient's foot, causing a large blister to form. Blister broke and now there is a relatively large raw area of skin on the foot. Have been treating affected area with antibiotic ointment and covering area with bandage at night. Affected area does not seem to be clearing up. Foot is also swollen.

Comment from: cpmt, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I had a kitchen oil hand burn. I used soy sauce on it after washing with cold water. I wet a kitchen towel with regular soy sauce (not light) and held 1 or two minutes over the burn. After that, no pain, no blisters, only redness. Small burns can be minimized with soy sauce put immediately on where the burn happened.

Comment from: Ms hady, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I experienced a third degree grease burn.

Comment from: dwright, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

I am a 48 year old diabetic male with burning sensation and numbness on hands and fingers.

Comment from: MASTERTH1EF, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

I was working 3rd shift and just had started when my pressure washer engine seized up. I went to see why it stopped (before I knew the engine had seized) and not realizing, placed my hand directly on the overheated muffler. I instantly pulled my hand back and dunked it in a pool of water. Didn't realize just how bad it was until I noticed the skin smoking on the muffler. I went to the emergency room, and I found I had suffered 2nd degree burns (worst pain I've ever felt). They gave me some kind of silver cream and 30 Roxicodone. I returned to my job and finished my shift. Now I have a blister about the size of a ping pong ball and wandering if I should pop it. This is awful; night one is not looking so good.

Comment from: Lowprofile, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 09

My daughter had menstrual pains and decided to put some hot water in a water bottle and placed same on her stomach to enable her sleep. Horrifically, the water bottle burst in the middle, emptying the hot water on her stomach. I only have perfumed petroleum jelly, which I am told is not good for burns.

Burns - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you receive for your burn? What part or how much of your body was affected?
Electrical Burns - Experience Question: Have you or someone you know suffered an electrical shock and/or burns? Please describe your experience.
Chemical Burns - Experience Question: Did you suffer a chemical burn? Please describe what happened.