Patient Comments: Burns (First Aid) - Experience

What type of burn did you experience?

Comment from: DeeGee, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 13

After swimming in a heated pool, I went into a hot tub. As I stepped in my toes felt a sharp feeling of pain and the water seemed very hot. I got out immediately and noticed my toes were very red. I did not experience pain at the time, but after almost two weeks the redness is still there and I am experiencing pain in the tips and top of my toes. I have been applying Polysporin and Aquaphor but at night I am experiencing tingling and my toes are sensitive to touch. I am also on an antibiotic doxycycline hyclate. I have not contacted a doctor.

Comment from: megreen60, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I was lighting a candle with a cheap lighter when I burnt the tips of my index and thumb of my left hand. I immediately put my hand under cold water they blistered up. That was last week; however on my thumb it's starting to look like there is blood under there; it's still throbbing. I have no fever and I did not break it.

Comment from: Teresa, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 30

I was putting beef cubes into hot bacon grease to brown for beef stew, when a couple pieces dropped accidently and caused the hot grease to splash on my inside forearm causing a 5 inch long by 1/4 inch wide burn that blistered. I put my arm under cold water for about a minute to relieve the pain right away. The burn stung for about 2-3 hours but gradually subsided.

Comment from: vicky, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 27

My sister had wire put in her back. The wire shorted and paralyzed her, and led to more surgery. Then she is told she has mental cancer, then bone cancer and chronic lymphatic cancer. I wonder if the burning inside cause the cellular change thus cancer.

Comment from: brony, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had candle wax that was burning which fell on my hand and was flaming. I put it in water for one hour then went to the emergency room. The pain was very high and I was very light headed by that stage. I have since had the burn trimmed and they have put this silver dressing stuff on it. It's only been six days. I think it's a second degree burn because of the pain I had when first burnt. I have to keep it elevated all the time and keep putting water over the dressing.

Comment from: verdes22, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I was at a bonfire the other day and got too close to the fire. I basically fell in but caught myself on the logs which were basically just huge embers. The skin on the palm and six of my fingers have third degree burns on them. The skin on three of my fingers is very white and hard almost. The skin on the others are not as bad and the burns themselves are softer. The burn on my right palm looks like a blister about the size of a quarter. None of the burns are broken right now. I'm thinking about popping them all but am not sure yet. Surprisingly painless however.

Comment from: keyri, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I spilled boiling oil on the top of my foot. It is the size of a deck of cards. Surprisingly it doesn't hurt, although now almost 3 weeks later and much triple antibiotic cream, it is starting to itch on the edges. I keep it covered as it is ugly and weepy. I find the skin is very tight over it and was white but now is flaking off and looking angry red. Not certain if 2nd or third, sounds like third almost.

Comment from: wanty, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 13

2 years ago at work, I knocked over a boiling cup of tea, the water went between the tongue of my safety boots and my trousers, resulting in the tongue actually welding itself to my leg. I managed to separate the skin from my boots and treated the lower part of my shin with lots of cold water, followed by lavender oil to re-hydrate the area. I went to the hospital who dressed the wound and two weeks later I went to the doctors who gave me a surgical sock to put on and some cream to rub in, after about a year I went to see my doctor because the horrific scar was still itching and my foot is still swollen. My doctor said that this was because I was overweight. I know I am overweight, but that does not do anything to heal my scar which currently is a mixture of dark brown scabs, dark purple skin, and around 5 inch long by three wide, any ideas how to treat this please, other than just saying you are fat like all doctors seem to say, never mind the burn.

Burns - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you receive for your burn? What part or how much of your body was affected?
Electrical Burns - Experience Question: Have you or someone you know suffered an electrical shock and/or burns? Please describe your experience.
Chemical Burns - Experience Question: Did you suffer a chemical burn? Please describe what happened.