Patient Comments: Burns (First Aid) - Experience

What type of burn did you experience?

Comment from: Chiclett, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 16

Yesterday I heated up my tea and went to take a sip and burnt my lips, tongue, corners of my mouth and down either side of my lower lip causing blisters.

Comment from: gwaite58, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I was using one of those types of heating pads that have metal fibers in them I bought at a drug store. I often use them for my bad back. They said you could leave them on for up to 8 hours. I applied it to my right hip cause that is where the pain was. I fell asleep with it on and slept on that side. I woke up in the morning with three very red burns to my hip. I cleaned with soap and water. I applied silver bacitracin and covered with gauze. They are oozing grayish fluid and bleeding sometimes. They hurt like hell as they are in an area where my clothes rub against them.

Comment from: Franmag, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 17

At thanksgiving I took a pan out of the oven and burned the lower half of my left hand. Got red, hurt really bad. I immersed my entire hand in cold water and rubbed butter (that's all I had), then since it was red and painful, covered the area with Noxema. This soothed the burning, kept Noxema on my hand for two days until the burning diminished. The skin didn't blister, but my palm is no longer soft, feels leathery and I have diminished sensation, but no scar.

Comment from: sbaker28, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I was burned by fireworks. It was supposed to shoot straight up into the air, but it fell over and shot me in the leg, and then exploded on my foot. My leg isn't too bad, it's more of an impact wound with probably a first degree burn, but it's been over a week and my foot is still killing me.

Comment from: faerieteach, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I just LOVE to cook! As you would expect, I tend to get burned kind of often. It got to the point that I don't go to the walk-in anymore - it's embarrassing! On this last one though, I got the burner of the oven - so yup silvadine again. They gave me a small tub to have here at home. I hate getting burned, but I do so like to cook.

Comment from: sukochick, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 05

3rd degree motorcycle burn on the right calf.

Comment from: badburn, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

I have second degree burns over 50% of my body. Huge blisters, can't move arms.

Comment from: tendertummy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I have a second degree scald burn on my stomach that is one week and three days old. I've now gone through the blistering stages and the skin has sloughed off.

Comment from: CheshireCat, Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I went to rekindle a campfire at night since it was going out and getting dark, so as you can tell, it was pretty hard to see. I tripped over the grate while turning to put something in to restart it and fell in. Almost got my face or hair. Instead I ended up shoving my hands in the still-burning coals. My friend grabbed me and pulled me out as I was trying to get up and everyone nearby pounced on the coolers. My hands were literally melting the ice. Apparently cold water is bad for burns, but later on at the hospital I had to be given some serious amounts of morphine because they took the bowl of cold water my hand had been in. Burns without someway to cool off = deep, deeeeeep pain. Cold water really helped me, so I don't know about y'all. Anyway, sustained serious burns on my right hand and wrist and, somehow, only a tiny first degree on my left palm. Silvodene Silvodene Silvodene for those bad burns!! (Unless you're allergic to sulfa...)

Burns - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you receive for your burn? What part or how much of your body was affected?
Electrical Burns - Experience Question: Have you or someone you know suffered an electrical shock and/or burns? Please describe your experience.
Chemical Burns - Experience Question: Did you suffer a chemical burn? Please describe what happened.