Patient Comments: Burns (First Aid) - Experience

What type of burn did you experience?

Comment from: TNmom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

A week ago I had brain surgery. The NICU nurse was administering potassium through my IV. It burned my forearm. There are two spots, each about an inch large which are black. It has been almost two weeks. I'm not seeing any improvement after the black scab formed. They didn't tell me anything to do for this. The surgery was performed in another state. The wound is pinkish/red all around the scabbed areas.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: angrymom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I had my hair done a few months ago. The hairdresser used 40% peroxide with bleach and placed it directly on my scalp. I ended up getting a second degree burn all over my scalp with symptoms lasting about three weeks. The hair dresser told me that it was because my head was sensitive. I later found out that it is illegal to apply 40% peroxide to scalp. My head is now very sensitive and never was before.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: blueseyes1973, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

In 2002 I was at a baby shower and suffered two seizures. I came home and took a nap. When I got up in the late afternoon, my kids were there alone watching me. My husband had taken my son golfing. I got up and started to fix my two daughters some fries. I suffered another seizure and the deep fryer fell on top of me. My girls yelled out the window for help, but nobody wanted to help. Then someone came into our apartment, tore off my clothes, wrapped me up in blankets, and called 911. I was taken to the hospital, and later flown to a larger burn center. I was told that I was lucky to be alive – I had 2nd- and 3rd-degree burns on the right ride of the body. I received a skin graft. Less than a year later, my husband passed away.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: schmoopee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I had pork in a smoker and at the 10 hour interval opened the smoker to add water to the pan. The water pan adhered to the smoker and the hot water that laid on the electric element poured over my foot. After about 1 hour my foot had blisters that were about 2 inches in diameter and 2 inches high. After putting it in cold water and treating it with bacitracin and bandages, I've kept it from bacteria but it seems to keep getting infected. The blisters have broken and keep reappearing. This burn is so painful.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Dana, 55-64 Female Published: August 22

I burned the inside of my forearm with a HOT curling iron about 3 weeks ago, have been using silvadene cream and a bandage 3/4ths of the time, trying to leave it open as much as possible. I work for a doctor and he feels like it is a 3rd degree burn. It is healing but is in a hard place to protect.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: careless, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I have a third degree burn on my thumb. I was cooking fried green tomatoes and let the oil get too hot before adding the tomatoes. :(

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: maria, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 05

My friend is burned over 60% of his body and he is in a burn unit.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: sandfeet63, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 04

I touched a radiator from overheated car.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Adam, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 04

I put my hand on a muffler of a running small engine. It's blistered and white. It covers my palm and finger tips.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Burns - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you receive for your burn? What part or how much of your body was affected?
Electrical Burns - Experience Question: Have you or someone you know suffered an electrical shock and/or burns? Please describe your experience.
Chemical Burns - Experience Question: Did you suffer a chemical burn? Please describe what happened.

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.


Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.


STAY INFORMED

Get the Latest health and medical information delivered direct to your inbox!