Patient Comments: Burns - Treatment

What kind of treatment did you receive for your burn? What part or how much of your body was affected?

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I was too close to a slash pile as I used accelerant to start a fire. Instantly I felt the intense flash heat on my right forearm up to elbow and back of hand. The area got red, then blackened, blistered and peeled to an oozing, seeping, blood filled pus. I cooled with water, cleaned and gauzed for 4 days, and now pain is tolerable but still oozing thru wrappings.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Bill.h, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

My left index finger was covered with a large glob of extremely hot glue. I immediately pulled of as much of the glue as it pulled layers of skin with it. I then went home and put Silvadene ointment all over the damaged area and wrapped with sterile gauze and tape. And repeated for three days. I don't know how long I can keep a burn as such covered in this manner before letting air to start drying it out.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Blessed, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I was hit by a fire ball from a charcoal grill that burned my face, ear, neck and my hand where it blistered and I lost some skin. I used aloe plant and my face, neck and ear healed in less than a week. I applied the aloe like lotion on the burned areas. Now the issue with my hand, it is still healing and the skin has now peeled off and my skin in exposed. I also use aloe and Neosporin to the area. It's going on week 2.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Pat, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 18

I am so very glad to give this information in reference to my second degree burn to my left forearm near my elbow as I was removing a casserole from the oven and touched the rack! I applied cold water and after that silver nitrate and cocoa butter did it! There was no pain, no scar and cannot identify the place of the burn after 4-5 days! Thank goodness for silver nitrate and cocoa butter!

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: I'm a Mom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I received a very bad burn. I asked the pharmacist if there was anything to help take away the extreme pain besides the prescription the doctor ordered. She told me to make a baking soda paste. It worked amazingly on the pain.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Lisa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I accidentally burned my finger (right on the bend) of my index finger, on the pipe of my motorcycle. I immediately ran it under water and applied bacitracin to the small area. It was right on top of the bend of my finger. The top layer of skin fell off in a few days. I was able to get some Silvadene and I am hoping for the best. I don't want to get an infection, due to the fact that I have MS (multiple sclerosis) and that could cause me to relapse.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Burns (First Aid) - Experience Question: What type of burn did you experience?
Electrical Burns - Experience Question: Have you or someone you know suffered an electrical shock and/or burns? Please describe your experience.
Chemical Burns - Experience Question: Did you suffer a chemical burn? Please describe what happened.

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.