Patient Comments: Burning Mouth Syndrome - Causes

If known, what was the cause of your burning mouth syndrome?

Comment from: Clc, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

Just over a month ago I used a strong antibiotic for a stomach issue. A week after was Easter and after eating a fresh made cinnamon scroll I noticed my tongue suddenly felt strange. I realized it was oral thrush and got some nystatin to use. It seemed to be clearing and I stopped using it although it came back and I did the same again. My tongue still seems to have a pale look to it at times and in the last few days I have noticed that my tongue feels strange and by end of day to evening it gets worse till it"s like I have burnt it on hot food. I looked it up, they say the reason in women is onset of menopause and it can be caused by hormonal changes. I"m 37 and don"t think this would be my case, I have an iron deficiency perhaps this could be a cause; not really sure what to do next.

Comment from: Jadiol1953, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

My burning mouth syndrome (BMS) started after I had chemotherapy for breast cancer in 2002. I also have multiple sclerosis (MS), a benign type, but my neurologist at the time knew my family problems and gave me Xanax. So for ten years, I didn"t know I had BMS. When my then neurologist resigned, the new one didn"t agree with the Xanax and cut me back to 1 a night. I was and still am miserable after 5 years. Stress doubles the pain and acidic foods make it so much worse. Why can"t they find a cause and a cure!

Comment from: Jo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I started having severe mouth burning following a regimen of antibiotic that resulted in thrush. With thrush one needs to avoid sugar, yeast and carbs I understand. Yogurt helps me with the burning and thrush. I"m also taking clotrimazole troches for thrush. My allergies have also caused some burning but not nearly as severe as with thrush and I understand thrush happens more often with older individuals and following a course of antibiotics.

Comment from: Cure, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I know how frustrating and depressing it is so here's what fixed my burning mouth syndrome. I narrowed the cause down to either sleep, vitamin deficiency or coffee. I went and found a Chinese doctor that does herbs, acupuncture etc., he checked my levels and found me deficient and put me on some nano vitamins called: LifePak Nano. Within a week or two it's all better. I also quit coffee and that may have helped (not from the heat either or burning tongue, just because it's acidic). I also notice when I would get less sleep it would be more prevalent too, but the vitamins alone seemed to have cured me! Hope this helps you too!

Comment from: Bernie, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I suffered excruciating pain in my lower lip for over a fortnight, imagined all sorts of sinister things being wrong. Eventually a cold sore popped out, tried Dynamiclear and the pain seemed to increase, finally took Panadol for pain relief and after a day the scab appeared and only tenderness remained. Have suffered this pain before but no cold sore appeared, next time sensation appears I will treat for cold sore.

Comment from: Lu, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I have BMS (burning mouth syndrome). It is very painful to even talk. It seems to erupt after I have splurged on foods with sugar and yeast. Advil, oil pulling, candida killing herbs and detoxing are some help. I am eating only protein and green vegetables. It is a battle once out of control.

Comment from: burning up, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I have suffered with burning mouth syndrome for almost 3 years. I have seen my physician, dentist, doctor of internal medicine and have had an MRI with no results. As many say, chewing gum helps a bit to keep the mouth moist. A few weeks ago I used my tongue to flatten the gum on the roof of my mouth starting just behind the front teeth while I sipped on cold water. After having the gum stay on the roof of the mouth for a period of time I found the burning sensation of the gums and tongue lessen, to the point that I am placing the gum on the roof of the mouth daily only removing it for meals, drinking and bedtime. For me it has taken away the feeling of peeling skin from the tongue and gums! Perhaps it keeps the tongue from rubbing on the roof of the mouth and moving to rub on the teeth.

Burning Mouth Syndrome - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your burning mouth syndrome.
Burning Mouth Syndrome - Treatment Question: What types of treatment did you receive for burning mouth syndrome?
Burning Mouth Syndrome - Helpful Tips Question: Please share self-care tips for dealing with burning mouth syndrome.