Patient Comments: Burning Mouth Syndrome - Causes

If known, what was the cause of your burning mouth syndrome?

Comment from: hollysue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

My burning mouth syndrome (BMS) started years ago when they first came out with the plug in air fresheners. I bought and used them and eventually realized what was causing the problem. I have never used them again in my house but many people use them and the problem occurs occasionally now. My problem now is, I work in a store and all the air freshener products and scented dryer sheets and scented candles cause the same problem for me. It's a nightmare that has now gotten worse over the years and causes breathing problems too. I can't use most cleaning products and resort to using vinegar and baking soda for cleaning. I also have a metal taste in my mouth when this happens and it feels very dry.

Comment from: Pleasingtwogod, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 23

My husband has rectal cancer..first stages..treatable praise God...but I woke up a few days ago and my tongue was on fire!!! I went to dr and they took blood test...which everything came back normal except they want me to take vitamin d 5000 units a day for 6 months. The dr also gave me a mouthwash that had Benadryl in it that I'm to take with one sip of water....it helped some...but can't take at work...put me to sleep...quick!!!

Comment from: Lucy B, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

Ever since I was a child, my mouth would burn if I ate too much sugar, usually candy. It can last for days. Sometimes I also get bumps on my tongue that also hurt. Once it starts to hurt, salt, vinegar, and any acidy foods will also burn until it clears up. I always thought I was just strange until I decided to look it up and saw how many people suffer from this. It never seemed to happen from sugary gum or chocolate candy.

Comment from: Nora, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 12

My mother suffered with a burning tongue and mouth , she was eventually diagnosed with pernicious anaemia and primary biliary cirrhosis, not caused by alcohol! Zinc supplements were given plus strong vitamin B probably B12. She had a med called Ursofalk? For the cirrhosis problem but ended up with dementia. Anyway, try fizzy zinc supplement first it did seem to help cure it.

Burning Mouth Syndrome - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your burning mouth syndrome.
Burning Mouth Syndrome - Treatment Question: What types of treatment did you receive for burning mouth syndrome?
Burning Mouth Syndrome - Helpful Tips Question: Please share self-care tips for dealing with burning mouth syndrome.