Patient Comments: Burning Mouth Syndrome - Treatment

What types of treatment did you receive for burning mouth syndrome?

Comment from: sunshine, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

Health care provider suggested using Difflam mouthwash or spray. The mouthwash worked for me however the burning mouth syndrome came back slightly after 6 weeks. I used wild oregano oil 80% carvacrol, 3 drops in glass of water. Take one mouthful swirl around and then swallow; repeat approximately 5 times daily. One glass should last all day. It works for me... good luck.

Comment from: donniec, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 21

My Mom has been dealing with burning mouth syndrome (BMS) for about 6 months now. It was very disheartening to see her quality of life diminish over the course of time. After several doctor/dentist dead-end visits she visited a dentist who immediately determined that she had contracted a parasite probably during her last tooth filling. He has her on antibiotics and a medication to kill the parasite. It has been about two weeks since the diagnosis and treatment began. She is feeling much better and doing quite well. I hope this gives some of you another avenue to investigate in your search for answers.

Comment from: Lisa JJ., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I have just been diagnosed with BMS (burning mouth syndrome). It started on the tip of tongue, now is all down the sides and back of tongue. The pain at times is very overpowering and depressing. I have no idea how I got it, neither does my doctor, which makes it all the more depressing! My doctor said I was to rinse my mouth out several times a day with a very strong brewed chamomile tea, boiling 3 or 4 tea bags, then allowing them to cool and then rinse. I have not tried this yet as I"m waiting for water to cool beforehand. I will be back later after giving this treatment a couple of goes. For any sufferers out there that have not tried this remedy, please try and see how it works for you. Must be better than taking more drugs. Hope to give a more helpful write up later on today.

Comment from: mgmoocher, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I had burning mouth syndrome (BMS) for about a month. My thyroid medication was too high, so the doctor reduced the strength and I started taking mega B Vitamins, which all helped within a week. I am now about 90% good. Tongue is still a little sensitive but much better.

Comment from: sharon744, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I have had dry mouth and then BMS (burning mouth syndrome) for more than two months. I started rinsing with baking soda (1 and 1/2 teaspoon to about 8oz. water}. I had vast improvement within 2 days and almost 100% improvement within 2 weeks.

Comment from: Balake, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I have a burning tongue which is slightly swollen, with numbness in my cheeks and mouth around my lips. My dentist did a thorough examination which found nothing. For pain relief, he prescribed triamcinolone acetonide. This has provided 90% relief. We are still searching for cause. I am not on any medication, very healthy otherwise.

Comment from: bluella, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

A month ago, my tongue started to hurt so badly. The pain is on the left side of the tongue. I went to the dentist and to an ENT. The dentist didn't know why my tongue hurt; the ENT said that it was BMS. I received gabapentin 600 mg/day. I tried ALA (alpha lipoic acid); it brought the pain down, but it is still there. I took B12 and vitamin C. I used vinegar and gentian violet. I tried Daktar for fungus (oral unguent); it seems to help, but the pain is still there. I tried to avoid chemicals because I am only 48 and I do not think I would live longer if I were bombarding the liver with poisons that do not cure but hide the symptoms. I am depressed, and I do not want to live with this pain forever. If you suffer from this, I am sorry for you. Life is supposed to be a beautiful journey -- mine is a hell.

Comment from: CGray, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 17

In March of 2012, I began to notice a tingling/burning spot on the left side of my tongue. Most days it was nothing more than an irritation. Since that time, the burning has spread to cover the majority of the left side. I'm noticing now the texture of my tongue is changing and still burning, and I have now developed dry mouth. All this led me to an ENT who said it was BMS. I read where glycerin helps, and it sure does. Now it is about keeping the burning down to a minimum. I can sympathize with those who share similar symptoms.

Burning Mouth Syndrome - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your burning mouth syndrome.
Burning Mouth Syndrome - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your burning mouth syndrome?
Burning Mouth Syndrome - Helpful Tips Question: Please share self-care tips for dealing with burning mouth syndrome.