Patient Comments: Burning Mouth Syndrome - Signs and Symptoms

Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your burning mouth syndrome.

Comment from: Susie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I woke up after back surgery on October 5, 2012 with back pain relief and horrible burning mouth syndrome (BMS) pain. After one exhausting year traveling all over the country the only conclusion was, BMS and good luck to you. Klonopin for me helps a bit, 0.5 mg in the morning and at bedtime. Tough, exhausting, addictive drug. Just that if I don"t take it I get into real burning horror, blisters, rancid taste, dry mouth, etc. It amazes me that after 12 years of me having it and many more years of millions of people suffering with it there is no cure... or even a little help. Not enough money to be made. Only 5 plus million BMS sufferers worldwide. It"s a real shame. It"s truly changed my life, in a painful, sad way. I have to fight the pain and burning every second of every minute of every day.

Comment from: Grando, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I was just diagnosed with burning mouth syndrome (BMS) and esophageal hypersensitivity. I have been sick for a year and my doctors were not able to diagnose me and sent me to Mayo. I have a very tender face and scalp. It hurts to wash my face and apply makeup, and hurts to wash and brush my hair. I don't know if it is from the BMS or the hypersensitivity. Also my nose (sinuses) hurt all the time. I use saline spray but nothing helps. My eyes are also affected. The doctors told me to take 4 teaspoons of water and add 1 to 2 drops of tabasco sauce and swish it in my mouth and spit out. Do this 3 to 5 times a day. Build up the number of drops of tabasco but never use more than 4 teaspoons of water. It is supposed to desensitize your mouth. It will make your lips swell a little bit. It will burn at first but that goes away. I am up to 4 drops of tabasco. I do think it is helping some, it is worth a try since I have not found much to help. I have really bad pain in my esophagus. I was on a Fentanyl patch up until two weeks ago for the pain, but now they have put me on nortriptyline for the hypersensitivity so I weaned off the patch two weeks ago. Today I have experienced bad pain again which scares me. I don't like being on an opioid. I am not use to taking pain medications. I have also been on Lyrica but the side effects are so bad that I have been weaning off of it. It did help my pain some. There is no cure for either of my illnesses. My doctors here have never seen anybody with it and don't know what to do for me. My life has been turned upside down. My old self is gone. Now I live in chronic pain.

Comment from: hurting, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I started with this burning mouth syndrome about 8 months ago. Dry mouth, burning tongue and down the throat, which is constantly sore. I feel if something is not done it will destroy my teeth and throat. I went to an ENT and he thought it was acid reflux but after taking the pills I had no relief. I have so much pain from sciatica, neuropathy, fibromyalgia, swollen leg, and now this. I take Vicodin 1-3 a day to cope. I talked to a dentist who didn't know anything about the problem so am discouraged. I use Biotene, nose sprays and saline. I also have sinus problems.

Comment from: Woodstock, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I had reconstructive surgery. While placing my cheek implant, my surgeon cut a nerve! I have no feeling in my left side of my upper lip. Also, to make things worse, I had Radiesse injections to help my face look better after a facial staph infection left my face uneven looking. I believe my burning mouth syndrome (BMS) was caused by the surgeon cutting my nerve and also the Radiesse injections. I am fine upon waking in the morning but every day about 1:00 or 2:00, my mouth, tongue and lips burn horribly! I use lidocaine rinse to help and a lot of the time, I must resort to pain pills.

Comment from: claire, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

My burning tongue started in 2008 after I was very much stressed. It used to get worse during the day. Chewing gum helped to relieve pain and I often went to sleep chewing gum. Recently I have been diagnosed with GERD reflux disease and I am wondering if chewing the gum produced extra acid in the stomach. My tongue is now constantly on fire and I hope every day for relief. Some days it is unbearable.

Comment from: Zimbo, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I have been fighting burning mouth syndrome (BMS) for nearly 2 years now and yesterday I went to my pharmacist and asked him to help me. He gave me Degranol tablets 200 mg and they are already helping. Amazing, I take them twice a day, why did I not ask him before now! Try it, they make me a little sleepy, that"s all at the moment.

Burning Mouth Syndrome - Treatment Question: What types of treatment did you receive for burning mouth syndrome?
Burning Mouth Syndrome - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your burning mouth syndrome?
Burning Mouth Syndrome - Helpful Tips Question: Please share self-care tips for dealing with burning mouth syndrome.