Patient Comments: Burning Mouth Syndrome - Signs and Symptoms

Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your burning mouth syndrome.

Comment from: CharleyN19, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have not yet been diagnosed with burning mouth syndrome (BMS), this is just one of the possibilities. My problem started about 2 1/2 years ago. But, mine has just been sores in my mouth and on my tongue (top and bottom) and burning when I eat certain things. I can no longer eat anything that has just the least bit of spice. Even mustard and catsup burn. Over time it has gotten worse with more foods. But, acid does not burn. I have not problems with citrus at all. But, the last couple of weeks I have had problems waking up with my mouth burning and tongue feeling twice its size.

Comment from: lanay40, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have had burning mouth syndrome for 10 years. It hurts constantly, it's like I have deep lines on my tongue. I can't eat anything that has acid in it, like steak sauce, ketchup. I read up on it and have seen something called road map tongue I think. I have fibromyalgia chronic pain but this pain is unbearable at times and the doctor just ignores it basically, I'm totally frustrated! Also it looks like I have like raised taste buds, it hurts on the side and my whole tongue.

Comment from: Pfedero, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I first experienced burning tongue 15 years ago. My doctor prescribed an oral rinse for thrush. It didn"t work, so I went to my dentist who diagnosed me with burning tongue. He said it was caused by an allergy probably to summer fruits such as berries. He referred me to an oral surgeon who said I had geographical tongue which is due to stress. I usually feel run down besides having the scalded burning feeling on the top of my tongue. Sometimes the oral antiseptic sprays numb the burn temporarily on my tongue, but time usually heals the burn.

Comment from: BarbS, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

My burning tongue syndrome started about a month ago. It started on one side of my tongue and the top of my tongue felt like it had cuts, it was so sore. It would be mild in the morning and raging by bed time with my tongue so swollen I could hardly close my mouth to sleep because it would touch my teeth. I saw my family doctor and an ENT who said I have burning mouth syndrome. I also showed signs of GERD, I am on BP medications and was under a great deal of stress at the onset; the perfect storm.

Comment from: Varan, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 13

My burning mouth syndrome started some months ago. Now it is almost frequent. The root part of the tongue and palate have burning sensation. In the beginning I was not able to identify what it was. When it became frequent, I attended and monitored it. No medicine is taken until now.

Comment from: Teamd, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I was just diagnosed with BMS (burning mouth syndrome) after treating acid reflux with omeprazole (Prilosec). There is no change in symptoms after over a month on 40mg Prilosec. Burning sensation is in the center of tongue and soft palate, with a tickle in the back of throat which is sore at times. I came off of amoxicillin and Levaquin when trying to treat the sore throat, which is now secondary to the burning areas. Some studies have shown antibiotics have led to symptoms of BMS. The burning has been for a month now, and started after the antibiotic course. Still being treated for minor acid reflux and now switching to baking soda toothpaste to counter the acidity as well as using a product called Gly-Oxide to control the PH in the mouth. Let"s see how it goes. Fortunately, the burning has been mild.

Comment from: JayCee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I have had burning mouth syndrome for quite a while now, but nothing made sense until I just read the post that said that someone was on migraine medicine and sleeping meds. I believe that is when my burning mouth syndrome started as well. So, maybe it has something to do with either the migraines themselves and/or the medicine we are taking. I am going to bring it up to my doctor or pharmacist to see if one of them could be causing the problem. Good luck! I sure hope it stops soon!

Burning Mouth Syndrome - Treatment Question: What types of treatment did you receive for burning mouth syndrome?
Burning Mouth Syndrome - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your burning mouth syndrome?
Burning Mouth Syndrome - Helpful Tips Question: Please share self-care tips for dealing with burning mouth syndrome.