- Slideshow: Top Problems in Your Mouth
- Teeth Whiteners That Work
- Dental (Oral) Health Quiz
- Patient Comments: Burning Mouth Syndrome - Signs and Symptoms
- Patient Comments: Burning Mouth Syndrome - Treatment
- Patient Comments: Burning Mouth Syndrome - Causes
- Patient Comments: Burning Mouth Syndrome - Helpful Tips
- Find a local Doctor in your town
- Burning mouth syndrome facts*
- What is burning mouth syndrome?
- What are burning mouth syndrome symptoms and signs?
- How do health-care professionals diagnose burning mouth syndrome?
- What causes primary and secondary burning mouth syndrome?
- What is the treatment for burning mouth syndrome?
- What are helpful tips for coping with burning mouth syndrome?
To help ease the pain of BMS, sip a cold beverage, suck on ice chips, or chew sugarless gum.
Avoid irritating substances, such as...
- Hot, spicy foods
- Alcoholic beverages
- Mouthwashes that contain alcohol
- Products high in acid, such as citrus fruits and juices
Ask your dentist and doctor for other helpful tips.
United States. National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research. "Burning Mouth Syndrome." July 2016. <http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/oralhealth/Topics/Burning/BurningMouthSyndrome.htm#>.