Patient Comments: Burning Mouth Syndrome - Helpful Tips

Question:Please share self-care tips for dealing with burning mouth syndrome.

Comment from: GayleS, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I have had burning mouth syndrome (BMS) for over 3 1/2 years. Doctors tried to say it was caused by acid reflux. I don't think so though. I tried alpha lipoic acid (ALA). I took 200 mg, 3 times a day for 8 weeks. Then I moved to 200 mg once day. It took about a week to start working. I noticed a pattern that it would flare up just before my cycle. Now my cycles are infrequent and so are the flare ups. I'm hoping that once I am menopausal it will stop all together. For now the ALA works!

Comment from: Kathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I have also had burning mouth syndrome. I found that if I rinsed my mouth with warm water and hydrogen peroxide at least twice a day, after 3 days it just about cleared up.

Comment from: Dee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

What helps me when my burning mouth syndrome gets bad, is to mix a 50/50 mixture of liquid children's Benadryl and milk of magnesia. Swish the mouth for as long as you can, and then spit out.

Comment from: Sara, Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I am confused about the difference between burning mouth syndrome (BMS) and oral fungal infections. The symptoms are the same. And I have found that rinsing frequently with hydrogen peroxide (just a little bit and do no swallow it), works to relieve the symptoms. I just fill a little into a clean glass or plastic cup; don't dilute the peroxide. Rinse a few seconds. Might burn slightly but the benefits from the relief of using it are really good. The burning only lasts a few seconds. Good Luck with your BMS symptoms and let's hope for a cure soon.

Comment from: Tuscolajan, (Patient) Published: July 05

Burning mouth syndrome (BMS) is the most frustrating syndrome. You are pretty much on your own to figure out a remedy. I have had two painful bouts, and finally cured myself. I brush teeth with Colgate Advanced Total toothpaste. Then swish for one minute with Act mouthwash for dry mouth. After a week BMS was subsiding, and then gone. I do this every day, and been lucky, it has not returned.

Comment from: terryttb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I found wearing a mouth guard all the time helps with burning mouth syndrome.

Comment from: Caz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I have suffered from debilitating sensations in my mouth for 6 years - on my tongue, sides of my mouth, throat, roof of my mouth and lips. At times the sensations consume me and I cannot concentrate when speaking. The sensations are painful, intrusive and constant every day. Most days feel like I have a mouth full of tiny razor blades and lumps around my mouth. I eat chewing gum on and off all day, drink water all day and find yogurt helps the burning mouth syndrome. I take daily medication to manage severe migraines. I am healthy, fit and lead an enjoyable lifestyle but my sensation in my mouth is very difficult to live with.

Comment from: Deb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I am menopausal and have had burning mouth syndrome on and off for several years. Dentist and family doctor didn"t know what it was and tried several things. No medications but after doing my own research, I found that peppermint chewing gum helped the most. I pretty much chew it all day and it makes it bearable till it runs its course and finally subsides.

Comment from: Eve, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I try all kind of things but the one working for burning mouth syndrome is water with fresh mint leaves and fresh ginger that I drink every hour.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

Seven months and five doctors and many prescriptions later nothing has worked for burning mouth syndrome. I believe sugar makes it worse and salt is best. I find that salted almonds make the pain much better and usually it goes away for hours. I keep almonds nearby at all times. Since there is no medical help you need to find a way to live with this.

Comment from: indig0, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I have read that alpha lipoic acid helps with burning mouth syndrome. I kept myself up all night annoyed by the sensation. I"m going to buy this supplement today and test it out - at least there is some hope.

Comment from: kathy, 65-74 Female Published: July 23

my tounge is sore and coated burns when i drink or eat.what can be done to help

Burning Mouth Syndrome - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your burning mouth syndrome.
Burning Mouth Syndrome - Treatment Question: What types of treatment did you receive for burning mouth syndrome?
Burning Mouth Syndrome - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your burning mouth syndrome?