Patient Comments: Burning Mouth Syndrome - Causes

Question:If known, what was the cause of your burning mouth syndrome?

Comment from: Bernie, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

I suffered excruciating pain in my lower lip for over a fortnight, imagined all sorts of sinister things being wrong. Eventually a cold sore popped out, tried Dynamiclear and the pain seemed to increase, finally took Panadol for pain relief and after a day the scab appeared and only tenderness remained. Have suffered this pain before but no cold sore appeared, next time sensation appears I will treat for cold sore.

Comment from: Lu, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I have BMS (burning mouth syndrome). It is very painful to even talk. It seems to erupt after I have splurged on foods with sugar and yeast. Advil, oil pulling, candida killing herbs and detoxing are some help. I am eating only protein and green vegetables. It is a battle once out of control.

Comment from: burning up, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I have suffered with burning mouth syndrome for almost 3 years. I have seen my physician, dentist, doctor of internal medicine and have had an MRI with no results. As many say, chewing gum helps a bit to keep the mouth moist. A few weeks ago I used my tongue to flatten the gum on the roof of my mouth starting just behind the front teeth while I sipped on cold water. After having the gum stay on the roof of the mouth for a period of time I found the burning sensation of the gums and tongue lessen, to the point that I am placing the gum on the roof of the mouth daily only removing it for meals, drinking and bedtime. For me it has taken away the feeling of peeling skin from the tongue and gums! Perhaps it keeps the tongue from rubbing on the roof of the mouth and moving to rub on the teeth.

Comment from: hollysue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

My burning mouth syndrome (BMS) started years ago when they first came out with the plug in air fresheners. I bought and used them and eventually realized what was causing the problem. I have never used them again in my house but many people use them and the problem occurs occasionally now. My problem now is, I work in a store and all the air freshener products and scented dryer sheets and scented candles cause the same problem for me. It's a nightmare that has now gotten worse over the years and causes breathing problems too. I can't use most cleaning products and resort to using vinegar and baking soda for cleaning. I also have a metal taste in my mouth when this happens and it feels very dry.

Comment from: Pleasingtwogod, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 23

My husband has rectal cancer..first stages..treatable praise God...but I woke up a few days ago and my tongue was on fire!!! I went to dr and they took blood test...which everything came back normal except they want me to take vitamin d 5000 units a day for 6 months. The dr also gave me a mouthwash that had Benadryl in it that I'm to take with one sip of helped some...but can't take at work...put me to sleep...quick!!!

Comment from: Lucy B, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

Ever since I was a child, my mouth would burn if I ate too much sugar, usually candy. It can last for days. Sometimes I also get bumps on my tongue that also hurt. Once it starts to hurt, salt, vinegar, and any acidy foods will also burn until it clears up. I always thought I was just strange until I decided to look it up and saw how many people suffer from this. It never seemed to happen from sugary gum or chocolate candy.

Comment from: Nora, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 12

My mother suffered with a burning tongue and mouth , she was eventually diagnosed with pernicious anaemia and primary biliary cirrhosis, not caused by alcohol! Zinc supplements were given plus strong vitamin B probably B12. She had a med called Ursofalk? For the cirrhosis problem but ended up with dementia. Anyway, try fizzy zinc supplement first it did seem to help cure it.

Burning Mouth Syndrome - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your burning mouth syndrome.
Burning Mouth Syndrome - Treatment Question: What types of treatment did you receive for burning mouth syndrome?
Burning Mouth Syndrome - Helpful Tips Question: Please share self-care tips for dealing with burning mouth syndrome.