Patient Comments: Burning Mouth Syndrome - Treatment

Question:What types of treatment did you receive for burning mouth syndrome?

Comment from: Cedaw, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 27

B12 is the cure for burning mouth syndrome. Then find out why you are not absorbing B12 naturally. Get a shot or take a sublingual pill or oil form B12 vitamin 3000 units a day. It is very safe and doesn't react with other drugs. I had the same experience as many of you, went to every doctor, dentist, oral surgeon, dermatologist, etc. It was treated as a bacteria, then fungus, and then a virus; with no success. B12 it is the answer. Good luck. Educate yourself.

Comment from: Soremouth, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

As my second year with burning mouth syndrome (BMS) draws to a close, the symptoms are intense. My first 6 months and first 6 doctors, I was told thrush was the culprit. I did alter my diet for 6 weeks with meat and vegetables only. No sugar, alcohol, or starch. This helped my figure more than my mouth but did seem to help my mouth smallest amount toward the end. Then I was told it was not thrush. The doctor prescribed a steroid rinse. Many of you have mentioned this is depressing and it is. I finally went to a more natural practice of medicine. I started BioTE hormones (yes, menopause had jumped on me which appears to be typical time for BMS to rear its ugly head) and it helped tremendously. In fact, it helped my BMS and all symptoms associated with menopause. As the time approaches for me to get my BioTE pellets implanted, I can feel it in my mouth first. Then after the new hormones were put in, my mouth would vastly improve (never normal). Unfortunately, my last time was early March and there is no relief three weeks later. I will try some of the other things mentioned on this website.

Comment from: Jin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I have been diagnosed with BMS (burning mouth syndrome), 2 years now. It's miserable! I have been prescribed antidepressants, no change, the only other medication is an epilepsy drug! I have it all the time, but now and then it is raging. I don't even tell anyone any more, when they ask how I am. My next consultant appointment is in May.

Comment from: Mitzih, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

For burning mouth syndrome I got prescribed gabapentin, 600 mg 3 times a day and 15 MG morphine extended relief every 12 hours as needed. It hasn't cured it but I get some relief. I still have very painful flare ups. I just have to learn to live with it. Sometimes I can't talk or eat for days.

Comment from: Valerie08, Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I have had burning mouth syndrome (BMS) for about 5 years. I have been seen by my primary doctor, ENT, allergist and my dentist. I have tried the prescription mouth washes, etc. and haven't had any luck. But my dentist researched this heavily for me and found a product called alpha-lipoic acid, it is a supplement. I did not research it, as I was at my wits end, I just tried it and it helped! I was taking between 1200 mg to 2400 mg daily (I also lost weight). My mouth was so much better, it was amazing. My BMS went away. I took this supplement daily for about a month and then occasionally when my BMS would flare up. After taking alpha-lipoic acid for about a year or so, I started feeling sick to my stomach after ingesting it; so I stopped. I only take it on occasion now and never take more than 1200 mg daily. Living with BMS is absolutely horrible! Unless you suffer from it, you just have no idea of how painful it can be. I provide speech therapy, therefore I am talking all the time and when I am having a bad flare up, it takes everything out of me to do my job. I feel your pain with this awful condition. Try the alpha-lipoic acid (Sundown brand, the others did not work) and hopefully you will find some relief. Good luck!

Comment from: Cedaw, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 27

Try a sublingual B12 supplement for burning mouth syndrome. I had recurring soreness in my mouth, cheeks, and gums for over a year.

Comment from: Alexandra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I am truly convinced that burning mouth is connected with acid reflux disease, even though some people (like myself) do not suffer from heart burn. Antibiotics, and sleeping pills (including over the counter) seem to play a big role in hot mouth as well. Try Maalox and baby Benadryl (equal parts); swish and swallow as often as you can. Honey helps as well, but not a permanent fix.

Comment from: shawn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I don't know if I have burning mouth syndrome. Rheumatologist says neuropathy of the mouth (whatever). It is so frustrating because it is like they don't believe you. If they could walk in my shoes for one day! I am on my 3rd year now, been to every doctor, had all kinds of blood work, and nothing shows up. I have the scalding feeling and I get white lesions on my tongue almost every day which are very painful. What makes it bad for me is I have a lot of chronic diseases as it is. This is not living, it is existing and I don't want to do this anymore. I feel awful for those who have this.

Burning Mouth Syndrome - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your burning mouth syndrome.
Burning Mouth Syndrome - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your burning mouth syndrome?
Burning Mouth Syndrome - Helpful Tips Question: Please share self-care tips for dealing with burning mouth syndrome.