Patient Comments: Burning Mouth Syndrome - Treatment

Question:What types of treatment did you receive for burning mouth syndrome?

Comment from: Suzy photography, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

Back in October 2015 I had my lower impacted wisdom teeth removed. I also had 2 molars and 2 benign tumors removed that had eaten away a decent amount of my jaw. I had surgery in hospital and my jaw wired shut for 2 weeks. Everything seemed to be going smoothly until about a month after the surgery I began to get a burning scalded feeling in my mouth. The only relief I seemed to get was from eating cough drops. As the weeks went by I started trying all sorts of remedies. Nystatin for thrush no go, all sorts of rinses, Biotene, oregano oil and I was eating about 40 to 50 cough drops every day. Basically I had to have one in my mouth to function. I have a high pressure outside sales job and needed to function. I went to neurologist and she confirmed burning mouth syndrome. Intense facial jaw massage worked for temporary relief. I was put on Lyrica and clonazepam which helped a little. I had acupuncture 4 times a week and Botox injection in my jaw. I was just trying to get by each day. Until you have experience this there is no way to describe the feeling. The bottom line is acute chronic pain. I was buying these basic mouth guards you make yourself and they seem to help a little. This went on for 7 months. I went one day to buy a new mouth guard and the one that was on sale was a very thick heavy guard with a blue or purple line running through it. When I heated the guard up in the microwave and put it into my mouth it was so thick that it spread over the roof of my mouth causing it to be like a bite guard retainer. This kept my tongue from touching the roof of my mouth. It was a miracle. Within minutes all burning sensation was gone. For some reason in my case my tongue brushing the roof of my mouth activated the nerves to create the burning syndrome. I went to my dentist and had a special mouth guard retainer made and I am 95 percent better. I have not had a cough drop since. I just wanted to share this experience in case someone else might have a similar reaction. I wish you the best of luck with this horrible syndrome. I got my life back now. When I remove the retainer the pain returns within minutes although for some reason I do not have to sleep with it. Trigeminal nerve damage is brutal.

Comment from: Feel the burn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I have had burning mouth syndrome in the worst way for more than 6 months. A week ago my doctor told me to try biotin supplement (OTC). I also am using Biotene mouthwash. It actually is working! Try it.

Comment from: Cedaw, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 27

B12 is the cure for burning mouth syndrome. Then find out why you are not absorbing B12 naturally. Get a shot or take a sublingual pill or oil form B12 vitamin 3000 units a day. It is very safe and doesn't react with other drugs. I had the same experience as many of you, went to every doctor, dentist, oral surgeon, dermatologist, etc. It was treated as a bacteria, then fungus, and then a virus; with no success. B12 it is the answer. Good luck. Educate yourself.

Comment from: Soremouth, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

As my second year with burning mouth syndrome (BMS) draws to a close, the symptoms are intense. My first 6 months and first 6 doctors, I was told thrush was the culprit. I did alter my diet for 6 weeks with meat and vegetables only. No sugar, alcohol, or starch. This helped my figure more than my mouth but did seem to help my mouth smallest amount toward the end. Then I was told it was not thrush. The doctor prescribed a steroid rinse. Many of you have mentioned this is depressing and it is. I finally went to a more natural practice of medicine. I started BioTE hormones (yes, menopause had jumped on me which appears to be typical time for BMS to rear its ugly head) and it helped tremendously. In fact, it helped my BMS and all symptoms associated with menopause. As the time approaches for me to get my BioTE pellets implanted, I can feel it in my mouth first. Then after the new hormones were put in, my mouth would vastly improve (never normal). Unfortunately, my last time was early March and there is no relief three weeks later. I will try some of the other things mentioned on this website.

Comment from: Jin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I have been diagnosed with BMS (burning mouth syndrome), 2 years now. It's miserable! I have been prescribed antidepressants, no change, the only other medication is an epilepsy drug! I have it all the time, but now and then it is raging. I don't even tell anyone any more, when they ask how I am. My next consultant appointment is in May.

Comment from: ms tips, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I have had burning mouth syndrome symptoms since November of 2014 and have recently discovered what has been causing this; anything with high fructose corn syrup or HFCs. Anything that has corn in the ingredients has seemingly been causing this problem for me. I have been eliminating different foods from my diet and this ingredient seems to be it; bingo! Check labels of any food or beverage that you purchase. Also, I no longer use half and half in my coffee; instead, I drink it black.

Burning Mouth Syndrome - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your burning mouth syndrome.
Burning Mouth Syndrome - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your burning mouth syndrome?
Burning Mouth Syndrome - Helpful Tips Question: Please share self-care tips for dealing with burning mouth syndrome.