Patient Comments: Burning Mouth Syndrome - Treatment

Question:What types of treatment did you receive for burning mouth syndrome?

Comment from: Valerie08, Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I have had burning mouth syndrome (BMS) for about 5 years. I have been seen by my primary doctor, ENT, allergist and my dentist. I have tried the prescription mouth washes, etc. and haven't had any luck. But my dentist researched this heavily for me and found a product called alpha-lipoic acid, it is a supplement. I did not research it, as I was at my wits end, I just tried it and it helped! I was taking between 1200 mg to 2400 mg daily (I also lost weight). My mouth was so much better, it was amazing. My BMS went away. I took this supplement daily for about a month and then occasionally when my BMS would flare up. After taking alpha-lipoic acid for about a year or so, I started feeling sick to my stomach after ingesting it; so I stopped. I only take it on occasion now and never take more than 1200 mg daily. Living with BMS is absolutely horrible! Unless you suffer from it, you just have no idea of how painful it can be. I provide speech therapy, therefore I am talking all the time and when I am having a bad flare up, it takes everything out of me to do my job. I feel your pain with this awful condition. Try the alpha-lipoic acid (Sundown brand, the others did not work) and hopefully you will find some relief. Good luck!

Comment from: shawn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I don't know if I have burning mouth syndrome. Rheumatologist says neuropathy of the mouth (whatever). It is so frustrating because it is like they don't believe you. If they could walk in my shoes for one day! I am on my 3rd year now, been to every doctor, had all kinds of blood work, and nothing shows up. I have the scalding feeling and I get white lesions on my tongue almost every day which are very painful. What makes it bad for me is I have a lot of chronic diseases as it is. This is not living, it is existing and I don't want to do this anymore. I feel awful for those who have this.

Comment from: Gustalynn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I was diagnosed with burning mouth syndrome after 3 years of suffering. I was given a numbing mouth rinse that was only temporary. I was also given nystatin. I have lost 40 pounds from not able to eat much. I also have gastroparesis, hypothyroid, depression and anxiety.

Comment from: dale j, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I had burning mouth syndrome for months. I used vitamin B12 in large quantities, not multivitamin. It took me about 1 week, I had significant results, and now I am pain free.

Comment from: Ctdell, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

Thanks to everyone who has shared their thoughts and suggestions. The burning in my mouth started a month and a half ago. The pain varies in location and intensity from day to day. I did some research and noticed that a cause could be hormonal. I had stopped birth control pills so I have gone back on them. In the meantime I stopped using a whitening toothpaste and went to my general practitioner who prescribed reflux medication. It hasn't helped. I am awaiting blood test results on my thyroid, vitamin D and magnesium levels. In the meantime, reading through your posts gave me the idea that perhaps this is a side effect of the sleeping pills I am taking. I am now checking into that and will explore the different mouth rinses some of you suggested. I feel like I have something to go on now.

Comment from: Stephanie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I was diagnosed last year with burning mouth syndrome after my tongue split and I had to have 3 stitches after having my tongue cauterized which did not work. When I went to an ears, nose and throat specialist who said 10 years ago they did not know. Thank you for sharing as it is starting up again. I am going to try these things.

Comment from: AZ, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

My burning mouth syndrome (BMS) started following a dental procedure, with blisters and inflammation around the site. Thinking it was canker sores, I waited. And waited. It took weeks for the pain to subside during which the BMS and bright red, painful lips started. I discarded all SPF lip balm I had been using as well as long-wearing lipstick. I used Vaseline on my lips for a few nights, too, but I think it was the lip balm and lipsticks causing much of that problem since the inflammation and lip pain subsided within several days. What really worked for me to reduce the pain was swishing glycerin around in my mouth (and letting it dribble onto my lips) a few times a day, then spitting it out and rinsing with cool water. Honey swished around and on the lips for 15 to 30 seconds also worked to calm the pain and you can swallow it (not so with the glycerin). However, what really got rid of the mouth pain for good was oil of oregano in water. I started with one drop in a glass of water for two days, then two drops for two days, then three drops. Within one week, virtually all mouth pain was gone. Be sure to use the drops and get a good brand, at a health food store, that has a minimum of 50 percent carvacrol (mine has 70 percent). This stuff is very strong, and it is very hot (like jalapeno or chili peppers), so always use in a glass of water and be as careful as possible to not get much on your lips. I also was sure to drink it with a meal. Another helpful hint: keep a glass of icy water handy during every meal. I would often just soak my lips and my mouth with the water in between bites. Note: two weeks prior to my using the oil of oregano, I had been on a very high dose of metronidazole for some gut issues. I doubt that had any effect on the BMS, but if the oil of oregano does not work wonders for you, you might suggest a prescription of metronidazole to your doctor (It caused nausea, dizziness and major problems with balance, so if you take it, be careful). Best wishes and good luck to all of you.

Burning Mouth Syndrome - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your burning mouth syndrome.
Burning Mouth Syndrome - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your burning mouth syndrome?
Burning Mouth Syndrome - Helpful Tips Question: Please share self-care tips for dealing with burning mouth syndrome.