Patient Comments: Burning Mouth Syndrome - Treatment

Question:What types of treatment did you receive for burning mouth syndrome?

Comment from: Ctdell, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

Thanks to everyone who has shared their thoughts and suggestions. The burning in my mouth started a month and a half ago. The pain varies in location and intensity from day to day. I did some research and noticed that a cause could be hormonal. I had stopped birth control pills so I have gone back on them. In the meantime I stopped using a whitening toothpaste and went to my general practitioner who prescribed reflux medication. It hasn't helped. I am awaiting blood test results on my thyroid, vitamin D and magnesium levels. In the meantime, reading through your posts gave me the idea that perhaps this is a side effect of the sleeping pills I am taking. I am now checking into that and will explore the different mouth rinses some of you suggested. I feel like I have something to go on now.

Comment from: AZ, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

My burning mouth syndrome (BMS) started following a dental procedure, with blisters and inflammation around the site. Thinking it was canker sores, I waited. And waited. It took weeks for the pain to subside during which the BMS and bright red, painful lips started. I discarded all SPF lip balm I had been using as well as long-wearing lipstick. I used Vaseline on my lips for a few nights, too, but I think it was the lip balm and lipsticks causing much of that problem since the inflammation and lip pain subsided within several days. What really worked for me to reduce the pain was swishing glycerin around in my mouth (and letting it dribble onto my lips) a few times a day, then spitting it out and rinsing with cool water. Honey swished around and on the lips for 15 to 30 seconds also worked to calm the pain and you can swallow it (not so with the glycerin). However, what really got rid of the mouth pain for good was oil of oregano in water. I started with one drop in a glass of water for two days, then two drops for two days, then three drops. Within one week, virtually all mouth pain was gone. Be sure to use the drops and get a good brand, at a health food store, that has a minimum of 50 percent carvacrol (mine has 70 percent). This stuff is very strong, and it is very hot (like jalapeno or chili peppers), so always use in a glass of water and be as careful as possible to not get much on your lips. I also was sure to drink it with a meal. Another helpful hint: keep a glass of icy water handy during every meal. I would often just soak my lips and my mouth with the water in between bites. Note: two weeks prior to my using the oil of oregano, I had been on a very high dose of metronidazole for some gut issues. I doubt that had any effect on the BMS, but if the oil of oregano does not work wonders for you, you might suggest a prescription of metronidazole to your doctor (It caused nausea, dizziness and major problems with balance, so if you take it, be careful). Best wishes and good luck to all of you.

Comment from: Catherine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I got burning mouth syndrome (BMS) since February 2015. I had burning sensation on the tip of my tongue. This became stronger with time and speech was a problem. I saw my doctor who did extensive blood work and also gave me fungal medicines but my results showed no underlying illnesses. I then saw my dentist who thought I had geography tongue and send me to an oral surgeon. He confirmed I didn't have geography tongue. Then I was send to a neurologist who eventually confirmed I had BMS and put me on Lyrica which made me sleepy all day. He later changed it to another nerve medication.

Comment from: kathy h., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I have had burning mouth syndrome (BMS) for about 3 months and I have been in so much pain and I had been to 3 doctors before they I found out what I have. I did not know how I was going to live the rest of my life with it. Then I was put on gabapentin 300 mg and I have been 2 days pain free. I feel like yelling from the top of the highest mountain I am pain free! I do have the bumps on my tongue but they don't hurt. I just hope it continues this way. I hope this helps someone else.

Comment from: maggie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I really hope I can help someone out there with BMS (burning mouth syndrome). I suffered so badly that I wished I would die so I didn't have to have this constant fight everyday with pain and then hot flushes as well; it was unbelievable. I ate extra strong mints, hundreds of them, so I couldn't feel my mouth I tried lipoic acid and a chili powder to rinse my mouth in every day, to try and kill my nerve endings in my mouth and then I tried amitriptyline, Thanks is all I and my family can say, BMS has been gone for about 2 years now and I hope it never returns.

Comment from: Stephanie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I was diagnosed last year with burning mouth syndrome after my tongue split and I had to have 3 stitches after having my tongue cauterized which did not work. When I went to an ears, nose and throat specialist who said 10 years ago they did not know. Thank you for sharing as it is starting up again. I am going to try these things.

Comment from: Lindylou, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

My burning mouth syndrome started with a thrush infection which came from chemotherapy for breast cancer. I have now had continuous pain for 18 months, and pain from burning mouth syndrome for the past 10 months. We tried gabapentin with no success, but another physician prescribed Cymbalta at bedtime 60 mg daily and the pain is greatly diminished as it handles the neuropathic pain quite well.

Burning Mouth Syndrome - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your burning mouth syndrome.
Burning Mouth Syndrome - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your burning mouth syndrome?
Burning Mouth Syndrome - Helpful Tips Question: Please share self-care tips for dealing with burning mouth syndrome.