Patient Comments: Burning Mouth Syndrome - Signs and Symptoms

Question:Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your burning mouth syndrome.

Comment from: hershey33, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I have had this problem of burning mouth syndrome for probably 5 years now. It was put off to be from my smoking at the time but when I quit and was off them for months then my doctor got me an appointment after several times of saying how sore my tongue was. It took 10 months to see an ears, nose and throat doctor. That is average wait in Canada now and after seeing that doctor and her not being able to find the drug she wanted me to use I have been put on another wait to see an oral surgeon dentist. I also get sores on my tongue which are extremely sore! And I have nerve damage in half of my face which causes me extreme pain, which was a result of a bad motor bike accident with no helmet. I am really hoping it is one of several drugs I take. I can't even eat salads now because the dressing burns my tongue, which is very disappointing! I sure hope they figure out what is causing this problem really soon because it burns so bad that when I was trying to get a salad into me I had to drink a bottle of water to try and get it into me.

Comment from: hereinohio, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I have been dealing with complex regional pain syndrome (reflex sympathetic dystrophy) for almost a year, as a result of having rotator cuff repair surgery. Now I have burning of my tongue and roof of my mouth, and numbness of the right side of my face (the CRPS affects mostly my right arm). We are hoping that the face and burning mouth syndrome symptoms are a side effect of a medicine that was started about the same time as the beginning of the symptoms, but I have been off of the medicine for two weeks now and it doesn't appear to be helping. What I really wanted to share was the diagnosis of CRPS, because so many of the posts that I have just read sound just like it. It is a strange disorder and you really need to get a doctor who is familiar with it! My shoulder surgeon and physical therapists were very open to the diagnosis but many in the medical field do not even acknowledge that the condition exists (although I think that this is because they don't understand it). Treatment for me is pain management and making sure I do my PT at home (some are experts in PT for CRPS, seek them out and they may help; it didn't improve my condition, but some get help). Best wishes, on your journey to relief!

Comment from: Jean, 55-64 (Patient) Published: February 09

I have had burning mouth syndrome for about 5 years now. When I started taking gabapentin for neuropathy it has given me much relief. However, I have lost most of my sense of smell and taste. It affects my tongue and roof of my mouth, burning much like if you had taken a bite of very hot pizza and how your mouth feels afterward. Yes, I also go through bouts of very dry mouth. There was no benefit of using the several mouth washes that are made for it. Try gabapentin if it gets intolerable.

Comment from: Su, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I have had BMS (burning mouth syndrome) for 16 years. Sometimes the pain is overwhelming. It is almost too much to bear that I must wake up every morning to face this awful pain. Doctor has me on cevimeline hydrochloride 4 times daily and doxepin mouthwash. This helps dull the pain but never eliminates it. I have given up on ever being able to be pain free. I get very depressed often. Family does not understand.

Comment from: SHummer515, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have had the burning sensation in my tongue since January of this year and the burning mouth syndrome has only gotten worse. My doctor has given me medicines, and swish and swallow stuff because he thought I had a yeast infection which caused me to get thrush of the mouth but nothing is working. I am going to a dentist hoping they can figure this out because it is affecting my health in other ways. I am worried I may have some type of cancer but I am not a smoker so not sure what else it could be.

Comment from: boxer46, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I got a new crown that is gold and silver plus 1 percent palladium. That night the irritation started on my tongue. I had a 27 metal test done by a dermatologist as I knew my dentist wouldn't believe me. It came back negative. I had burning mouth syndrome before, after some dental work. Now the anxiety has set in. I wear my night guard to keep my tongue from the crown. Last time I used alpha-lipoic acid and zinc, and liquid vitamin B under the tongue. I use cayenne pepper on foods to relieve the burning.

Comment from: suzann, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I was diagnosed with burning mouth syndrome (BMS) two months ago after having four teeth filled. I felt so bad, I have been going for pain management and I can cope better but still find it hard to accept. I do not want to be on relaxant tablets for a long time and worried about it getting worse as time goes on.

Burning Mouth Syndrome - Treatment Question: What types of treatment did you receive for burning mouth syndrome?
Burning Mouth Syndrome - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your burning mouth syndrome?
Burning Mouth Syndrome - Helpful Tips Question: Please share self-care tips for dealing with burning mouth syndrome.