Patient Comments: Burning Mouth Syndrome - Signs and Symptoms

Question:Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your burning mouth syndrome.

Comment from: Su, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I have had BMS (burning mouth syndrome) for 16 years. Sometimes the pain is overwhelming. It is almost too much to bear that I must wake up every morning to face this awful pain. Doctor has me on cevimeline hydrochloride 4 times daily and doxepin mouthwash. This helps dull the pain but never eliminates it. I have given up on ever being able to be pain free. I get very depressed often. Family does not understand.

Comment from: SHummer515, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have had the burning sensation in my tongue since January of this year and the burning mouth syndrome has only gotten worse. My doctor has given me medicines, and swish and swallow stuff because he thought I had a yeast infection which caused me to get thrush of the mouth but nothing is working. I am going to a dentist hoping they can figure this out because it is affecting my health in other ways. I am worried I may have some type of cancer but I am not a smoker so not sure what else it could be.

Comment from: Tim, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

Recently I had a surgery for mastoiditis after being on 5 different antibiotics over a three month period and the doctor finally finding out it was a staph resistant mastoiditis. It then lead to me having C. difficile. Now I have been suffering from the burning on the tip of my tongue going toward the top middle of my tongue and my lips burning horribly. I haven't been diagnosed with burning mouth syndrome (BMS) but know after reading that this is what it is. I'm wondering if my surgery, C. difficile, or medications could be the reason for this. The burning is horribly painful and intolerable.

Comment from: PurpleForever13, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I had major surgery in 2008 to remove a blood clot between my small intestines and stomach. I had burning mouth syndrome (BMS) prior to my surgery. I have had BMS for 8 years. I take 2 mg of Klonopin at night and rinse with clove, pepper, and cinnamon essential oils rinse, which helps a little instead of the so called Magic mouth wash (made of Maalox, lidocaine, Benadryl), which is expensive if you don't have insurance. I have had every test except a biopsy to see what the cause is. This BMS has been really bad this last week of 2015. I have done so much research, took so many vitamins and so forth, that now I wish I just didn't have a mouth, yes, it gets that bad. The others that suffer with me, I'm sure feel the same. I will be doing really good, then anything that has citric acid, which is mostly everything on the market these days, fires it up and there is no winning, just miserable all the time. I sometimes have to resort to oxycodone, which I dislike with a passion, to relieve pain, only somewhat, but better than nothing at all. I hope very hard every day that it will permanently just disappear and things could be good again. I guess wishful thinking, uh. Very hard to be happy and fun loving when you have BMS. I know there are more people out there with BMS, but at least I share it with others and don't feel like I'm the only one. Thanks for listening, if someone happens to find something to help, please let me know. I take Klonopin 2 mg at night and Candidastat, over the counter vitamin for it if it is fungal.

Comment from: tami, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

My lips, tongue and throat burn constantly. I have to chew gum all day, even when I go to bed at night. My mouth is very dry as well, I am always drinking very cold water to help. My dry mouth started when I quit smoking 4 months ago.

Comment from: KellyAnn027, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

Clonazepam helped my burning mouth syndrome for 10 years and now it is back again. I'm going to increase my clonazepam and see if it helps. But for a long period of time it was a blessing.

Comment from: sandradee29, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have been to two dentists and I have a metallic and burning taste in my mouth and my back teeth burn so bad!

Comment from: donna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

Yes, I have been plagued by burning mouth syndrome on and off for a pretty good while, over 3 months. It feels as if my taste buds have been raised and I can feel every bump. When my tongue touches my dental work it feels like foil touching them. Nothing taste right and I am getting sore bumps under my tongue, my lips stay dry and I constantly drink water. I also have developed a sore in my nose that starts to get better then gets worse.

Burning Mouth Syndrome - Treatment Question: What types of treatment did you receive for burning mouth syndrome?
Burning Mouth Syndrome - Causes Question: If known, what was the cause of your burning mouth syndrome?
Burning Mouth Syndrome - Helpful Tips Question: Please share self-care tips for dealing with burning mouth syndrome.