Patient Comments: Bunions - Treatments

How were your bunions treated?

Comment from: julies, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I had bunion surgery 20 years ago on my left foot. I had a prominent large painful bunion. I did not have much choice in nice shoes as the bunion would prevent me from wearing many. I will say it's not for the faint of heart; the pain on recovery was excruciating for at least 5 days. It took me at least two weeks to move around properly. That said it was well worth it. Twenty years later, the foot looks great and no return of bunion. I can wear cute shoes.

Comment from: Flossie, Female (Caregiver) Published: February 14

Do you know, that I don't believe any of the old wives tales of bunions being caused by pointy toed shoes or tight shoes. I am sure my mother, grandmother and probably, great grandmother did not wear pointy toed stilettoes, however we do have a shared history of flat feet and abnormally long second toes. My theory is that, as well as having flat feet that, because there is no arch to stop it, toes are always pushed up against the end of the shoe, and, because the second toe is so long and the soft part of it rests against the big toe, there is no natural traction of a bone, to keep the big toe in alignment. And if women are more prone, it may be because women have to produce cartilage that softens and will yield in cervixes for delivering babes.

Comment from: lili, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I inherited my bunion woes from my dad's side of the family. My job does not require me to be on my feet all day but I'm always on the go between departments and meetings then it's jogging, dancing and cooking which I love and can't do sitting. At the end of the day I found that I have pain at the joints of both my big toes. A foot spa treatment by soaking the feet in warm water with bath salts or regular Epsom salts then a therapeutic rub with sports balm, which you can have someone do gives temporary relief. However if the problem persists see your health care provider.

Comment from: Jen, Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I went to a podiatrist with a hammer toe. There was also a bunion but it did not cause any pain. I had surgery for the hammertoe and the doctor "shaved" the bunion. As a result of this surgery now have a scar on the upper side of the hammertoe and that hurts at times. It also keeps the toe from laying totally flat. I normally have no problem healing and very little scar tissue but that is not the case here. Also, the large toe, after being "shaved" will now only "flop" over toward the toe that had the hammertoe surgery, causing the toe to rise above the large toe crowding under it. I was not aware that the doctor was going to shave the bunion and have now had problems with that foot. Since the large toe isn't in correct position for balance, etc. in walking, there is extra stress on that foot and have had a stress fracture. Too much pressure on the side of the foot opposite the large toe. This surgery did more harm than good.

Comment from: Rottylr5, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I have had bunions since I was a teenager. My bunions no longer cause pain because I suffer from neuropathy and all of the feeling in my feet is no longer there. My bunions cause ulcers on other parts of my feet. More recently I had to have a toe amputated because I could not feel the sore that developed on my big toe as a result of my bunion. I now have another sore on the other big toe which is caused from the bunion on the other foot. I would rather have my bunion removed than my toe. I do not have poor blood circulation in my extremities but doctors will not do the surgery because I have no pain. I have nerve damage, I can't feel pain. This can't possibly be the only criteria for surgery.

Comment from: jarviscera, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

I have had bunions for about 10 years. They got worse as I began running more, and started preventing me from running. I used expensive custom cork/foam orthotics for 4 years until I realized that they had allowed my feet to grow weaker instead of stronger. Then I began transitioning to less supportive and wider footwear with less of a built up heel. The reasoning for this was that by slowly introducing less supportive footwear, my feet would grow stronger. The idea with wide shoe is to not smash and irritate the bunions, and the idea with the low heel is to lessen indirect pressure from body weight. I currently treat my bunions by wearing foot shaped, "zero drop" (no heel lift whatsoever) Altra brand running shoes, and sometimes Vibram Five Finger shoes to separate my toes and help to straighten them. The issue is still there, but it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. I'd love to eliminate the issue, but at least it's manageable.

Bunions - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with bunions.
Bunions - Symptoms Question: How did you know you had a bunion? What were the symptoms associated with your bunion?