Patient Comments: Bunions - Treatments

How were your bunions treated?

Comment from: sunlight, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I just started noticing bunions, first it was the right foot, now it seems it has gone to the right and the PAIN IS UNBEARABLE. I have been fitted with orthorticcs and a good fitting shoe, I am an avid walker and am frightened that this will affect my way of life. My mom was plagued with the same problems.

Comment from: cinlyn5, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

Bunions are definitely hereditary. I was a teacher for 25 years and suffered with bunions the whole time. Finally, I had surgery on both feet, (a year apart) and I am pain free. The first week of recovery is a little painful, but eases after that. The surgery is well worth it! I am pain free, and my feet look great in sandals!

Comment from: B.Long, 45-54 Female Published: May 31

I am 49 years old and have bunions on both of my feet all my life. I think I was born with them, my mother had them, my aunt has them now. I didn't know they can be hereditary. I want to have surgery but I guess I'm afraid. Sometimes I'm embrass to wear sandals. They're not painful; they just look unattractive.

Comment from: Sandie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I am 58 and have had bunions on both feet for about 3 years. They are so painful some times that I have difficulty sleeping. I used to do a lot of aerobic dancing but now limit my exercise to walking, weights, and recumbent bike. I do wear inserts in the shoes that they will fit into but the days of heels are gone. I don't want surgery unless I have no other options and I worry about them getting worse as I get older. I don't want to give up my exercise routine for fear of weight gain which would cause other health issues. Not much fun getting older!

Comment from: Gayle, Female Published: March 29

I am looking into having Bunion Surgery. I'm not sure if that is going to take care of my feet problems. My concern is that my bunions are not the only part of by feet that hurt. I had surgery in September for plantar fibroma and that went well. Now I am still having problems with that foot not with the fibromatosis but plantar fascia on both feet get tight hurt a lot when on my feet. The one foot that had surgery on hurting the worst.

Bunions - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with bunions.
Bunions - Symptoms Question: How did you know you had a bunion? What were the symptoms associated with your bunion?