Patient Comments: Bunions - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with bunions.

Comment from: cwrunner, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

I am a 70 year old male and have been jogging since 1976. I have run marathons and many 10Ks. Two years ago I developed very painful bunions, one on the left big toe and one on the right little toe. For 6 months I tried 3 different shoe makers and widths. I got no relief, so last December (2012) I stopped running and have moved to a recumbent stationary bike for exercise plus my normal weight lifting and yoga. Two days ago I went for a 3 mile run and the pain came back, even with toe guards and holes cut in my shoes at the point of pressure. I don't much care for the bike as a form of exercise and am looking for a remedy.

Comment from: Badger, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 28

I am now 50 years old and started developing a bunion on my right foot at the age of about 25. I t got progressively worse for about 20 years, and was often red and sore. I learned about wearing bigger shoes about 5 years ago and that helped a lot. I now wear size 12 shoes even though my feet are really 10s, and I always wear an extra wide one. I always try the shoe out to make sure it doesn't rub the bunion. But the really interesting thing is I have had a variety of arthritic conditions in various joints for about the same length of time I've had the bunion, and about 2 years ago had to stop eating wheat gluten because of stomach problems. After I stopped eating wheat gluten, all of my arthritic joint problems went away and so did my bunion inflammation and pain. The toe joint is still not shaped right, but there is no pain at all in 2 years since I stopped eating gluten.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I have a bunion, and I often feel as if the inside of it -- where my bone is -- is burning. It is very painful, and I stand for 10 hours a day on my job, and not to mention when I come home and have to clean the house. It seems to be getting worse every year. I first noticed it about a year or two ago.

Comment from: tjinak, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I've endured bunions since high school, now 44. I am a runner and afraid that if I have the surgery that my running days will be over. I've read such mixed comments about the efficiency. Some folks talk about losing flexion in the joint between the toe and metatarsals. Using orthotics has helped with the pain but less so each year. As others have commented finding shoes is really tough, so long super cute stylish shoes, even flats! I find NAOT shoes to be comfortable and cute with lots of support on the metatarsals which seems most important.

Comment from: no_bone, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I had bunions on both feet, and the surgeon decided to remove them both. It was a day surgery, and with 10 staples on the left foot, and 11 on the right, I was wheel-chaired from the hospital to the car, and was given a pain prescription. The pain was unbearable for the first four days. The pills made me sleep for about an hour, but I had to deal with the pain for three. The fourth day, I was able to walk about - gingerly, and had a "sit shower" with my feet on a stool. Thank goodness for hand held showers! I kept my feet elevated, and had an ice pack on them continuously. After the first week, the wrapping (no cast) came off, new dressings applied, but the staples remained as the incision was still damp. From then on, I changed my dressings daily, applying a bit of polysporin to each side of the incision, and the pain pills were a thing of the past. At the end of the second week, the staples were removed, and I was walking very well. But still had to keep the incisions dry, which I did, and continued the "sit shower" apply ointment and clean dressings. Exactly one month to the day, all the scabbing had come off, but there is still some bruising, and numbness around the incision. I still exercise my toes and it has been over a month and a half. So, except for the first four days of pain, it really hasn't been that bad.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

Have had bunions all my life. They are sometimes painful. Had an x-ray of feet today for an unrelated broken toe. Bunions showing signs of arthritis. Occasionally painful. Distance runner, not entertaining the idea of recovery from surgery. The broken toe is bad enough. Heal already! (3 weeks)

Bunions - Treatments Question: How were your bunions treated?
Bunions - Symptoms Question: How did you know you had a bunion? What were the symptoms associated with your bunion?