Patient Comments: Bunions - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with bunions.

Comment from: cwrunner, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

I am a 70 year old male and have been jogging since 1976. I have run marathons and many 10Ks. Two years ago I developed very painful bunions, one on the left big toe and one on the right little toe. For 6 months I tried 3 different shoe makers and widths. I got no relief, so last December (2012) I stopped running and have moved to a recumbent stationary bike for exercise plus my normal weight lifting and yoga. Two days ago I went for a 3 mile run and the pain came back, even with toe guards and holes cut in my shoes at the point of pressure. I don't much care for the bike as a form of exercise and am looking for a remedy.

Comment from: Badger, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 28

I am now 50 years old and started developing a bunion on my right foot at the age of about 25. I t got progressively worse for about 20 years, and was often red and sore. I learned about wearing bigger shoes about 5 years ago and that helped a lot. I now wear size 12 shoes even though my feet are really 10s, and I always wear an extra wide one. I always try the shoe out to make sure it doesn't rub the bunion. But the really interesting thing is I have had a variety of arthritic conditions in various joints for about the same length of time I've had the bunion, and about 2 years ago had to stop eating wheat gluten because of stomach problems. After I stopped eating wheat gluten, all of my arthritic joint problems went away and so did my bunion inflammation and pain. The toe joint is still not shaped right, but there is no pain at all in 2 years since I stopped eating gluten.

Comment from: Magieann, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I have had a bunion for approximately 12 years. The area was sore when I first got the bunion, but since then providing I wear sensible shoes I have no pain, so have decided to leave well alone. I wonder if it is unusual to have a very obvious bunion with no pain.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I have a bunion, and I often feel as if the inside of it -- where my bone is -- is burning. It is very painful, and I stand for 10 hours a day on my job, and not to mention when I come home and have to clean the house. It seems to be getting worse every year. I first noticed it about a year or two ago.

Comment from: tjinak, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I've endured bunions since high school, now 44. I am a runner and afraid that if I have the surgery that my running days will be over. I've read such mixed comments about the efficiency. Some folks talk about losing flexion in the joint between the toe and metatarsals. Using orthotics has helped with the pain but less so each year. As others have commented finding shoes is really tough, so long super cute stylish shoes, even flats! I find NAOT shoes to be comfortable and cute with lots of support on the metatarsals which seems most important.

Comment from: ojb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I had bunion surgery in May. The doctors are saying that I have bone disease because of the surgery.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

Have had bunions all my life. They are sometimes painful. Had an x-ray of feet today for an unrelated broken toe. Bunions showing signs of arthritis. Occasionally painful. Distance runner, not entertaining the idea of recovery from surgery. The broken toe is bad enough. Heal already! (3 weeks)

Bunions - Treatments Question: How were your bunions treated?
Bunions - Symptoms Question: How did you know you had a bunion? What were the symptoms associated with your bunion?