Patient Comments: Bunions - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with bunions.

Comment from: Maryanne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I am 47 and have had bunions for years. Wearing size 9 wide shoes is a must--regular size hurts, but most of the styles are somewhat unattractive and I'm tired of being so limited not to mention the pain that still comes and goes, even in bare feet. Living in the south, we have a long summer so most of the time, I wear stylish flip-flops and the bunions are exposed. My patience is wearing thin, though, and pretty soon I'll give in to "the operation."

Comment from: FSG, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I have a bunion on my right foot. It started to swell, and over the years got increasingly painful if I wore heels. Then, coincidentally, I started practicing yoga, and to my surprise one of the benefits was that it eased my bunion. In yoga, we do a lot of stretching of our feet, which seems to have helped (not mention the overall body realignment that probably played a role as well). The bunion is reduced in size (though not gone) and it no longer caused me pain, even if I walk in heels. I don't know that yoga is the answer for everyone, but it might be worth a try before going the surgery route.

Published: September 17

I am only 21 and am mortified by the bunions on both of my feet. I am embarrassed to wear sandals in the summer. When I was 17 I went to camp and heard all the girls laughing hysterically and it turned out that they could see my feet from under the shower curtain in the community bathroom. It was the most horrible experience of my life. I have tried everything the night time bunion guard, the toe separators, everything and nothing has worked. It's gotten to the point where I don't even buy expensive shoes anymore because after I wear them for a month or two and they are permanently stretched out on the sides in the shape of my bunions.

Comment from: Female Published: August 14

My daughter is only 11 years old and has bunions on both feet on either side and has had them for a long time. I myself had an operation for bunions when aged 14 so this seems to be hereditary. My father also had them. Will my daughter have to go in for surgery? She has very tender feet but no real pain as yet with the bunions.

Comment from: lassie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

My bunions suddenly showed up in high school, and it's much worse on the right side. It's hard to wear most of my shoes, especially when going out, but I'm getting used to it.

Bunions - Treatments Question: How were your bunions treated?
Bunions - Symptoms Question: How did you know you had a bunion? What were the symptoms associated with your bunion?