Patient Comments: Bunions - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with bunions.

Comment from: inpaininsane, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I just had surgery to get a bunion removed off my right toe. I've lived with a bunion for about 12 years now. My only comfort to rid the pain was when I was able to take off my shoes at the end of the day. Oh, what a relief! I'm fresh out of surgery for about five days now and in the healing process. My only concern now is about the scarring, but that was to be expected.

Comment from: Suzie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

My mother had bunions and varicose veins, and I also have both. I find it very difficult to get shoes that do not hurt my bunions. Fashionable shoes or shoes with heels are out of the question. I love dancing and mountain walking and am finding these interests more and more difficult to do because of the pain my bunions cause. I am considering surgery, but I am concerned that this may not cure the condition and may make matters worse.

Comment from: k, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I had bunions on both of my feet around the age of nine. Im fourteen now and have had one operated on and I am waiting for my next operation. The operation turned out successful but with scars and some numbness on the side of my foot. The bone on the side of my foot has not completely disapeared but it is better than what it was. I didn't experience much pain after the first operation either, so now I'm just waiting to get my right foot done.

Comment from: yungQB, Published: August 17

I've had bunions to as far as I can remember and I'm only 16 years old. I never knew what they were and I have always wondered why my feet look the way they look until now. I have very minor pain, but I hate the way they look. Also I'm a very active person, I'm constantly playing a sport and I'm worried that it will get worse. I plan on paying a visit to my doctor real soon.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I am 30 years old, have had bunions since I was a child. I wish I would have had the surgery back then, now it is impossible. I make my living on my feet! I am a runner, so my feet are strong but every year they hurt a bit more. I believe I am suffering a stress fracture in one. Young people-get surgery now! Don't wait!

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I am 14 and I have recently been told I have bunions. The best thing you can do is ask your medic to fully explain what might have to be done. My left big toe is 100 degrees in the wrong direction. I have been told surgery will definitely be an option when I have stopped growing. My Aunt had them to so I know for me it is hereditary.

Comment from: Kara, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I am currently 14 years old, female and I have dealt with my bunion my whole life. They are on both feet and are sometimes painful. I play lots of sports and always have. It is really annoying going shoe shopping sometimes because of my bunions they will not work. Looking at numerous sites it looks as if I have a mild bunion. Resting seems not to heel them. I think surgery at this point is the best bet.

Comment from: nancy, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: June 05

My Mother had surgery for a bunion over two years ago and has suffered with severe foot pain ever since. Now her other foot is causing her severe pain. She recently saw a foot specialist who wants to remove both of her two big toes. I wonder what that would do to her balance. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what could possibly help her.

Bunions - Treatments Question: How were your bunions treated?
Bunions - Symptoms Question: How did you know you had a bunion? What were the symptoms associated with your bunion?