Patient Comments: Bunions - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with bunions.

Comment from: k, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I had bunions on both of my feet around the age of nine. Im fourteen now and have had one operated on and I am waiting for my next operation. The operation turned out successful but with scars and some numbness on the side of my foot. The bone on the side of my foot has not completely disapeared but it is better than what it was. I didn't experience much pain after the first operation either, so now I'm just waiting to get my right foot done.

Comment from: yungQB, Published: August 17

I've had bunions to as far as I can remember and I'm only 16 years old. I never knew what they were and I have always wondered why my feet look the way they look until now. I have very minor pain, but I hate the way they look. Also I'm a very active person, I'm constantly playing a sport and I'm worried that it will get worse. I plan on paying a visit to my doctor real soon.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I am 30 years old, have had bunions since I was a child. I wish I would have had the surgery back then, now it is impossible. I make my living on my feet! I am a runner, so my feet are strong but every year they hurt a bit more. I believe I am suffering a stress fracture in one. Young people-get surgery now! Don't wait!

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I am 14 and I have recently been told I have bunions. The best thing you can do is ask your medic to fully explain what might have to be done. My left big toe is 100 degrees in the wrong direction. I have been told surgery will definitely be an option when I have stopped growing. My Aunt had them to so I know for me it is hereditary.

Comment from: Kara, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I am currently 14 years old, female and I have dealt with my bunion my whole life. They are on both feet and are sometimes painful. I play lots of sports and always have. It is really annoying going shoe shopping sometimes because of my bunions they will not work. Looking at numerous sites it looks as if I have a mild bunion. Resting seems not to heel them. I think surgery at this point is the best bet.

Comment from: nancy, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: June 05

My Mother had surgery for a bunion over two years ago and has suffered with severe foot pain ever since. Now her other foot is causing her severe pain. She recently saw a foot specialist who wants to remove both of her two big toes. I wonder what that would do to her balance. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what could possibly help her.

Comment from: AMERICAN WOMAN, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I am a 44 year old female with bunions on both feet for all my adult life. If I had it to do all over again I would have the surgery. Ladies, it does not get any better. The pain never goes away and they will just get bigger and more noticeable. I was always embarrassed, and I still am, to show my feet and wear the "cute, and (sexy heels). When I did, I would have to drink the pain away when at a club dancing. I loved to dance. I would go get the surgery early if I could do it all again. Just feeling good about yourself and being able to show your feet without the bad feelings would be so worth it! I might still even get the surgery!

Comment from: Little Mama, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

I had bunions since I was a teen. Every day for the past 3 years I was in intense pain sometimes also at night, shoes didn't fit, never wore sandals, and was embarrassed to be at the beach or swimming. Finally I had surgery on both feet within a week apart. They put pins in them and I was laid up for about 2 or 3 weeks. The doctor recommended 6, but I had to go back to work. Now a year later. Yeah!! No pain every day. My shoes fit and don't leave a bunion imprint. I wore sandals and my feet are still not beautiful, but at least I can walk on the beach or in the swimming pool with out feeling like my feet are deformed.

Bunions - Treatments Question: How were your bunions treated?
Bunions - Symptoms Question: How did you know you had a bunion? What were the symptoms associated with your bunion?