Patient Comments: Bullous Pemphigoid - Experience

Please describe your experience with bullous pemphigoid.

Comment from: MARY JANE BEACH, 55-64 (Patient) Published: May 21

I had this insane itching and blistering for about a month, and saw several doctors in that time, finally one doctor took a biopsy, so we have a definite diagnosis of bullous pemphigoid. However the treatment is not all that affective, and waking several times a night to reapply cream so I can sleep is not helping.

Comment from: Patridia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

Having been diagnosed with bullous pemphigoid recently, although treated and OK now, I have to reflect on my history and its onset. About 40 years ago, I went to the doctors to be treated for insect bites. The receptionist told me not to bother the doctor with those, and go away and get some Piriton from a chemist. I did and it cured my problem. Over the years, I had several bad attacks with bites, particularly one in Egypt. But it eventually went away when I treated myself. However, I did suffer on return the home from the pharaoh's revenge and was in bed for three days laid flat out -- certainly a first for me. Then one evening on a holiday on the Rhine we were dropped by a coach party alongside the river, which was swarming in insects, to watch a delayed fireworks display. Unfortunately, we were there three hours because of the delayed start. A day later, my arms and legs began to itch and blisters formed. I was diagnosed with bullous pemphigoid. My husband is convinced that there must have been a secondary reason; that evening brought the pemphigoid blisters to a head as they were only in parts where insects could reach (for example, my legs, arms, and feet) as I wore sandals that night. However, the doctors and a specialist say different.

Comment from: MikeE, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

Symptoms started two years ago with a slight bubbling on the tip of my nose. It looked like a pimple, yet when touched, the outer layer of skin would slough off and a clear liquid would drip from the opening. It dried up after a week. Since then, I've gotten them on different parts of my body.

Bullous Pemphigoid - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for bullous pemphigoid?
Bullous Pemphigoid - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you experience with bullous pemphigoid? How do they affect your daily life?