Patient Comments: Bullous Pemphigoid - Symptoms

What symptoms do you experience with bullous pemphigoid? How do they affect your daily life?

Comment from: Trucking Granny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

Two years ago my gums became sensitive to many foods. The sensitivity progressed to bleeding and sloughing of the outer layer of tissue. My mouth was bleeding a great deal. It took about 18 months and several doctor"s visits to diagnose bullous pemphigoid. I have been on several rounds of steroids. Lately I was on Imuran which made me terribly ill with flu-like symptoms and caused my liver enzymes to go up severely. My blood sugar also went out of control. I am currently off all medication and am waiting for my liver enzymes to return to normal. When that happens the doctor will put me on CellCept. I hope that helps.

Comment from: Murphy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I had a rash that was isolated to my stomach only, approximately 1 year ago. It began to spread. I went to a dermatologist who prescribed topical steroids for the itching. I had many appointments and each time topical steroids were of higher strength. In December I became very ill and finally went to the hospital. I had a rash covering 50% of my body. I was in the hospital for 5 days. The itching was intense. I hope this bullous pemphigoid goes away for it is driving me crazy. I am on oral and topical steroids as well as an itching medicine that helps but the itching does not stop. I have no strength to fight this.

Bullous Pemphigoid - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you receive for bullous pemphigoid?
Bullous Pemphigoid - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with bullous pemphigoid.