Patient Comments: Bulimia - Treatment

What kinds of treatment have you or a relative received for bulimia?

Comment from: Troubled, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I am 17. I have had bulimia since I was 12 years old. Before the age of 12 I had always been a chubby kid, but when my bulimia started not so much but that led to anorexia. By the age of 14 I reached 110 pounds 5'2/5'3 I stopped throwing up and starving myself because I became depressed and stopped going outdoors, I stayed in my room and only left to eat. My binging never stopped so I became obese within a year than moved to a new school then my Bulimia started again and I lost 50 pounds but my bulimia is worse than ever and I don't know how to deal with it. Now I am beginning to have symptoms of diabetes and heart attacks it is very worry some and I don't know how to control myself but first things first I am going to a doctor. p.s. I went to one of those treatment programs for eating disorders in a hospital. I found it made my disorder worse... at the time.

Comment from: canada, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I am bulimic and anorexic. I have had a warped sense of what is attractive and what's not since as far back as I can remember. I was confronted in late teens and received counseling in my early 20's and convinced everyone that I had stopped, but I have continued into my late 30's. I drink heavily whenever I can because it satiates my appetite, and now I struggle with a balance between my eating disorder and alcoholism. The only time I believe I deserve to eat is when I have done an excessive amount of exercise. I live in constant disapproval of myself and I am terrified to ask for help.

Comment from: thankful, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I became bulimic when I was16 I'm now 27 eleven years of hiding this from my friends and family. My weight has severely fluctuated throughout the years I do feel very out of control inside but others see me as put together. I think bulimia has the ability to ruin lives create lies and steal your self worth. I advise anyone who is living in the silence and loneliness of this illness to seek help .I wish I would have sooner!

Comment from: notsohappy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I am 70. My earliest clue of impending bulimia (nonpurging) was at 6 yrs. old when I could not understand how my friend could trick or treat with me and still have candy left in December! My candy was eaten on Halloween. She could control how much she ate per day, I could not. I was not fat as a child so did not have trouble with the eating disorder then (we only got candy on Halloween), but in college I became depressed and started bingeing and purging; I later gave up purging after I read how it damages the esophagus. But, since about age 50 I have been overweight due to binge eating and am so tired of carrying the extra weight. I hope I can find a way to resolve this. My fantasy is to be restricted to a house where there is no access to food except what is provided by the staff (ha ha, it's called a spa, but they are so super expensive, it is out of the question).

Comment from: DoINeedHelp, Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I am 16 years old, have been purging 2 or 3 times a day for around a month. I have never liked my body. Despite being told I don't look bad, I still have a terrible self image. When I was around 11 I started purging. My parents caught me and I lied and told them I quit. I stopped though, in fear of being caught. I have always gone through periods where I barely eat, and lose weight, and then I eat massive amounts. All I can do is stare at myself in the mirror and pick out flaws. I tell myself how disgusting I am and that I don't deserve food. I put on this huge smile and tell myself I don't have a problem, but I'm starting to think I do. I have been crying constantly. I want to tell someone but I'm so scared. Scared that they will judge me and scared that they will make me stop. I don't WANT to be skinny; I NEED to be skinny.

Comment from: BareBones, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I developed bulimia a few months ago. I have been depressed for years, but only recently has my mood been affecting my eating habits. It started as a loss of appetite and before I knew it, I was only eating once a day. Afterwards, I would throw up what little I did eat. My bulimia is a form of self-loathing.

Bulimia - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with bulimia.
Bulimia - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment have you or a relative received for bulimia?
Bulimia - Complications Question: What complications did you or someone you know experience because of bulimia?
Bulimia - Symptoms Question: Did your child, friend, or relative have bulimia? What were the signs that indicated something was wrong?