Patient Comments: Bug Bites and Stings - Experience

Please describe your experience with bug bites and stings.

Comment from: Michelle71, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I am terribly allergic to yellow fly bites. If you have never heard of a yellow fly then consider yourself lucky. After suffering 3 summers with the bites from these little creatures I have finally found a treatment regimen that works! As soon as you get bit, slice a potato and put the taw slice on the bite and secure with a Band-Aid to help draw out the venom, leave on for about 30-45 minutes, remove the potato slices and rub tea tree oil on bite and surrounding area. No swelling, burning and best of all no itching! This is the only the only thing that has worked for me!

Comment from: maur, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I have been getting bit by something for several months. I have seen 3 doctors and had my apartment checked for fleas and bedbugs; there are no bed bugs or fleas. The first doctor said it was mites, 2nd doctor didn't know and prescribed a lotion to treat scabies; the 3rd doctor said it was bed bugs. The inspection of my apartment was after the last doctor said bed bugs. I used the cream the 2nd doctor prescribed twice and still am getting bit. The bite sometimes feels like a burn and other times like a flea bite. I have not seen any bug. The marks from the bites range from very tiny to a larger bite like a mosquito; they are not itchy, only feel a burning sensation; I live in Ontario, Canada.

Comment from: Bobby1, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

I was eaten up by red ants today, I ended up taking 50mg of Benadryl to get it under control. My feet and ankles swelled like a balloon that keeps going up. I am going to find me an allergist soon, I am having an allergic reaction to everything I touch or get around. I have to take 25mg to 50mg of Benadryl every day to keep my tongue from swelling up for the third time. I have been to the emergency room 3 times and hospitalized 1 time for allergic reaction to different types of bug bites. Last time I woke up having difficulty breathing, and could not talk right, it was due to hives, swelling of my face, lips, tongue and tightness in my throat, from allergic reaction to bug bites. My bites responses can range from an absence of any physical signs of the bite, to a small bite mark, to a serious allergic reaction; however, an allergic reaction to several bites may need medical attention. The last time I was hospitalized they had to give me epinephrine, 50 mg of Benadryl and put me on corticosteroids.

Comment from: Birdie, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 18

I played golf two days ago and was bothered by small flies that bit hard right through my socks. Suddenly I was bitten by something I couldn't see and the pain was 10 times what I had been experiencing. The pain grew worse, but it was 24 hours before I got serious and inspected the site of the bite on my ankle. I found serious swelling just below the ankle bone, redness in the area of the bite, and an area of blue along the outer part of the foot where blood had obviously gathered. I took some Benadryl OTC, iced it, and spread some steroid cream on the site. I have no fever, itching, and no redness has advanced up my leg.

Bug Bites and Stings - Keeping Insects Away Question: Please share tips for keeping insects away from you and your home.
Bug Bites and Stings - Removing a Bee Stinger Question: If you've been stung by a bee, how did you or someone else remove the stinger? Please share your experience.
Bug Bites and Stings - Pain and Itch Relief Question: Bug bites hurt and are itchy. What works for you in relieving the pain and itchiness?
Bug Bites and Stings - Tick Removal Question: How do you prevent tick bites? If you've found a tick on someone, how did you remove it?