GENERIC NAME: budesonide
BRAND NAME: Entocort EC, Uceris
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
- Budesonide is used for the treatment of mild-to-moderately-active Crohn's disease involving the ileum (the second half of the small intestine) and/or ascending colon (the beginning of the large intestine). It is approved for maintaining remissions for up to three months.
- Budesonide also is used for induction of remission in patients with active, mild to moderate ulcerative colitis.
SIDE EFFECTS: The most common side effects of budesonide are:
- Respiratory tract infection
- Abdominal pain
- Back pain
- Flatulence (intestinal gas, farting)
- Low potassium
Serious side effects of budesonide include:
- Adrenal suppression
- Suppression of the immune system
- Intracranial hypertension
- Serious allergic reactions
Quick GuideCrohn's Disease Causes, Symptoms, Diet
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.